An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Antichrist Might Be Jewish... Shhh

mortify

Political Correctness  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Era Might' date='27 October 2009 - 04:21 PM' timestamp='1256674864' post='1992269']
I deleted my posts, in case my poor attempt at humor was misunderstood.
[/quote]
No, it was awesome.

[quote name='Era Might' date='27 October 2009 - 03:21 PM' timestamp='1256674864' post='1992269']
I deleted my posts, in case my poor attempt at humor was misunderstood.
[/quote]
Nobody on Phatmass has a sense of humour. Nobody!

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 October 2009 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1256674011' post='1992258']
It isn't funny. It wasn't a joke, and they don't teach a protestant interpretation of scripture either. Nero was a foreshadowing of the Antichrist, not the Antichrist.

For those who want to know what the Church really teaches about the Antichrist and the apocalypse. I suggest reading these sermons by Cardinal Newman

[url="http://www.conventhill.com/endtimes/newman.htm"]http://www.conventhi...imes/newman.htm[/url]
[/quote]

You stated it as if it was a definitive teaching of the Church. Its not. That's protestant thinking

[quote name='hot stuff' date='27 October 2009 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1256668262' post='1992191']
That's a particularly protestant interpretation of Revelation
[/quote]

Here is a more Catholic introduction to the Book:

[url="http://haydock1859.tripod.com/id286.html"]Haydock Commentary[/url]

[quote name='hot stuff' date='27 October 2009 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1256676495' post='1992297']
You stated it as if it was a definitive teaching of the Church. Its not. That's protestant thinking
[/quote]

Dissent is common these days.

[quote name='mortify' date='27 October 2009 - 04:50 PM' timestamp='1256676617' post='1992300']
Dissent is common these days.
[/quote]
It's always been common.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='hot stuff' date='27 October 2009 - 04:48 PM' timestamp='1256676495' post='1992297']
[/quote]

Rather it is what you are arguing that is protestant, and it is liberal protestant. Which is the group that most predominantly holds the view that John wrote Nero was the Antichrist, and not the Antichrist that will bring the great chastisement. They don't even believe that Saint John is actually the divinely inspired author.

Cardinal Newman taught of how [url="http://www.conventhill.com/endtimes/newman1.htm"]Antiochus, Julian the Apostate and Mohammed[/url] are all in effect foreshadows, and precursors of the Antichrist. Nor does Newman pull this from air, or 'Protestant thinking' but well sourced. From scripture, to the Church Fathers, and other Church documents.
The predominant Traditional Catholic teaching on the Apocalypse and the Antichrist is as Newman, and a great many others taught it.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 October 2009 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1256680055' post='1992319']
Rather it is what you are arguing that is protestant, and it is liberal protestant. Which is the group that most predominantly holds the view that John wrote Nero was the Antichrist, and not the Antichrist that will bring the great chastisement. [/quote]
Actually, he's saying it's [i]both[/i].

Edited by Winchester

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Winchester' date='27 October 2009 - 05:49 PM' timestamp='1256680163' post='1992321']
[/quote]

If he's arguing it's both, then why is he calling one of the two protestant thinking?

[quote name='Winchester' date='27 October 2009 - 05:49 PM' timestamp='1256680163' post='1992321']
[/quote]

+1 for reading

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 October 2009 - 06:02 PM' timestamp='1256680959' post='1992325']
If he's arguing it's both, then why is he calling one of the two protestant thinking?
[/quote]
Because it's only one.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Winchester' date='27 October 2009 - 06:04 PM' timestamp='1256681078' post='1992328']
Because it's only one.
[/quote]

But it isn't only one. Nero and others being precursors and foreshadows to the actual Antichrist is [b]not[/b] one way thinking, and it isn't protestant. They would be after all [b]precursors and foreshadows[/b] of him, part of his spirit, but not he himself.

Nero, Antiochus, Julian the Apostate, Hitler, and Stalin will all pale in comparison to the Antichrist who will bring about the great chastisement. When he comes to slay the innocent, he will quickly earn his title as "[b]The[/b] Antichrist". Because none will have compared to his wickedness before his rise, and none will compare after it.

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='Winchester' date='27 October 2009 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1256679816' post='1992317']
It's always been common.
[/quote]

It was always around but not as common

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='27 October 2009 - 06:33 PM' timestamp='1256682783' post='1992339']
But it isn't only one. Nero and others being precursors and foreshadows to the actual Antichrist is [b]not[/b] one way thinking, and it isn't protestant. They would be after all [b]precursors and foreshadows[/b] of him, part of his spirit, but not he himself.

Nero, Antiochus, Julian the Apostate, Hitler, and Stalin will all pale in comparison to the Antichrist who will bring about the great chastisement. When he comes to slay the innocent, he will quickly earn his title as "[b]The[/b] Antichrist". Because none will have compared to his wickedness before his rise, and none will compare after it.
[/quote]

The only place where it is taught definitively that the "end of times Antichrist is THE antichrist" is in protestant theologies (right along with the rapture) . Show me where this is taught definitively as Catholic doctrine and I'll be happy to agree.