An Old School Catholic Message Board

Capitalism: A Love Story

Didymus

The fact that someone you inherently dislike is making money while proving a point, does not in itself disprove the point.

[quote name='Didymus' date='28 October 2009 - 08:03 PM' timestamp='1256771024' post='1992945']
lots of you love taking little ignorant stabs it seems rather than giving logical arguments.

ad hominem anyone?
[/quote]

Ironic truth is.

King's Rook's Pawn

[quote name='kamiller42' date='28 October 2009 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1256771853' post='1992950']
This is one of my favorite videos on the housing crisis. Everyone who fought improvements should have been fired immediately. That regulator should have been given a congressional medal of honor.[/quote]

I would argue that, while the CRA and Fannie Mae exacerbated the problem, they were not the root cause. Inflation of the money supply by the Federal Reserve and the fractional reserve banking system was the root cause. More regulation of the housing market wouldn't have prevented the bubble, nor would have more [i]de[/i]regulation. Only free and honest money would have truly prevented the bubble.

[quote name='King's Rook's Pawn' date='28 October 2009 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1256778569' post='1993012']
I would argue that, while the CRA and Fannie Mae exacerbated the problem, they were not the root cause. Inflation of the money supply by the Federal Reserve and the fractional reserve banking system was the root cause. More regulation of the housing market wouldn't have prevented the bubble, nor would have more [i]de[/i]regulation. Only free and honest money would have truly prevented the bubble.
[/quote]
I think supporting the regulator is not a call for more regulation. The regulator's job was to make sure government run businesses, Fannie & Freddie, were abiding by regulations, mainly those which say you need to keep your books balanced and run an honest business. The regulator under fire is a like a traffic cop who catches someone running a red light, and congress berates the cop for doing his job. It's hogwash.

I agree with the negative impact of the federal reserve's manipulation of money. I think the negative effect of the CRA was taking place before the reserve really cranked out cheap money. The CRA was a license to get drunk. The cheap money was the alcohol. The real estate boom was public intoxication. The crash was the result of drinking and driving.

[quote name='Didymus' date='28 October 2009 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1256771024' post='1992945']
lots of you love taking little ignorant stabs it seems rather than giving logical arguments.

ad hominem anyone?
[/quote]
I haven't seen anything ignorant, but I have seen sardonic invective. You're misusing 'ignorant' in place of 'impolite'.

This cartoon on capitalism is more accurate and probably more entertaining.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr7x0WSr-zk[/media]

[quote name='Didymus' date='28 October 2009 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1256771024' post='1992945']

ad hominem anyone?
[/quote]

Actually, having watched it, I thought that of all of his movies that I've seen (haven't seen Sicko yet), this one was the most-able to be accepted by a Catholic. He actually seemed to shy away from Communism, and preach more along the lines of distributism. I can't remember too much of it, as I saw it two weeks ago. But that was my impression walking out of the theatre.

[quote name='kamiller42' date='29 October 2009 - 01:10 AM' timestamp='1256793024' post='1993218']
This cartoon on capitalism is more accurate and probably more entertaining.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr7x0WSr-zk[/media]
[/quote]

how could you say this is more accurate? have you first of all seen the movie? secondly, this video, with its propagandistic message, obviously overlooks the potential problems that capital[b]ism[/b] brings with it.

[quote name='Didymus' date='30 October 2009 - 04:54 PM' timestamp='1256936086' post='1994058']
how could you say this is more accurate? have you first of all seen the movie? secondly, this video, with its propagandistic message, obviously overlooks the potential problems that capital[b]ism[/b] brings with it.
[/quote]
I've seen very Mike Moore movie but one. (I've also seen the antidote, An American Carol. :)) ) If those movies are any indication of his accuracy in research and reporting, then I feel very confident in winging it by saying that cartoon is more accurate.

Not all propaganda is bad. Moore's, on the other hand, is. (You did realize Moore's movie is propaganda?)

The point of the cartoon was capitalism vs all the other ism's, not that anything ending with "ism" is bad.