An Old School Catholic Message Board

Banned From Catholic Web Sites?

JimR-OCDS

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='23 October 2009 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1256329663' post='1990372']
Based on what they post in websites, yes.[/quote]
You appear to be confusing your judgments about the motivations and intentions of these individuals with their actions or comments. Now, I do not doubt that a man's actions (or statements) may reveal something about his inner character, but only God can judge the secrets of the heart.

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='23 October 2009 - 02:27 PM' timestamp='1256329663' post='1990372']
Things like, "my parents and friends are all up in arms over me becoming Catholic." Stuff like this goes on for awhile, until the same person later on eventually post, "Leaving the Catholic Church."[/quote]
You have no special insights into the psychological qualities of the person who says things like this, so why pretend to know their intentions.

Of course its not all who convert, [b]nor would I know the hearts of everyone who comes and goes[/b], but there is a common trend in Catholic forums, that I've noticed.[/quote]
You do not know the secrets of any person's heart.

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='23 October 2009 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1256329869' post='1990373']
Which to me, would be the Christian way of running a Catholic Website.
[/quote]
To me . . . it simply is what it is.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='24 October 2009 - 03:56 AM' timestamp='1256316995' post='1990295']
Well,I just got banned from a second Catholic Website. Both times were forsome flimsy reasons, but this one, the moderator won't even tell me thereason. I violated no rules as far as I can see, so my only conclusionis, the moderator views me as a liberal. He gave me two warnings, forreasons that made no sense, before banning me permanently.

Anyway, I was wondering if others have been banned from Catholic Websites, or Christian websites for that matter?

I'm also wondering if this should be something that is flattering,especially based on the views at the first Catholic Website I wasbanned from. [img]public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Jim

[/quote]
Thereare some weird forums out there in cyber space Jim! (Why isn't there aStar Trek emoticon when you need it?) I frequented mental illnessforums before here and sometimes I wonder if I'm still on one (that's aLOL :D) The first one accused me of pushing religion onto them, but it wasalright for them to bag religion?? Anybody could put forward theirviews about anything but I was told to quit putting forward my views onreligion because I was intruding on their rights not to read posts forreligion. I asked then, why do you read them? No reply! The second one(Now hear this) When I posted that Christians believe that satan isresponsible for all suffering and evil in the world, I was told that Iwas putting down Christianity! The same forum was paranoid aboutprotecting their readers like little children as if their forum was theonly thing they could read on the internet, but write something theyinterpreted as a violation and they would write you a very nasty PMsometimes with a follow up from a higher mod. They also sent me a copy of the American constitution, I'm Australian?? Don't worry about Jim, towrite on forums requires to be very thick skinned.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='24 October 2009 - 07:12 AM' timestamp='1256328763' post='1990363']
Phatmass rarely bans anyone.
[/quote]
probably why I'm still here!

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='23 October 2009 - 04:11 PM' timestamp='1256325114' post='1990343']
Well I disagree. The politicians haven't brought scandal to the Catholic Laity, because when it comes to religious beliefs, no one really cares what they believe.

However, the petition was scandalous by making Catholics look like something akin to the 17th Century Puritans in Salem Ma.

Only the local Bishops of these fellow Catholics, has the authority to excommunicate a person from the Sacrament.

Jim
[/quote]
Really? You will find very few catholics at phatmass who would agree with you. Most of us care deeply about the public behavior of those who profess to be catholic. The petition was to get that point across.
The scandal lies not in the petition but in those of authority who talk out of both sides of their mouth, and want the catholic vote but don't have the guts to stand up for catholic teaching.

I consider teaching in adult religious education to be an important vocation with a little "v" or I wouldn't have spent the last 20+ years teaching in RCIA.

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='23 October 2009 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1256322029' post='1990321']

My own personal opinion is that, I thought the whole idea of the petition was uncharitable. It would do nothing to lead people to Christ, but more to drive them away.
Jim
[/quote]

Bishops who continue to distribute the Body and Blood of Christ to politicians who publicly, obstinately and knowingly oppose Catholic doctrine in word and deed are giving grave scandal to real Catholics. There is nothing uncharitable about saying, "If you want to participate in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass as a Catholic, you have to believe and hold as true the teachings of the Catholic Church on faith and morals." There is something uncharitable about saying, "Come, commit sacrilege and give grave scandal at Mass."

St. Teresa of Avila went to a bishop or two to give them a piece of her mind.

~Sternhauser

little_miss_late

Jim, I am a younger person who is in the process of becoming Catholic. I want you to know that I have really appreciated your POV in a few of the threads that I have read here on Phatmass. I think you come across as charitable and measured in your approach.

I do understand what you mean about defending something with your ego. I don't read or post on any other religious websites so I have no idea about any of the folks you are talking about. But, I have been in conversations with people where at some point it just becomes about defending a position that you [i]identify with [/i]rather than defending something that you [i]believe.[/i] I have been guilty of that myself.

I am sure that out of any group of young adults who are making an extreme life choice, there will be a percentage who are going to be overly interested in the reactions they get from others. Another thought I had while reading your post, was that maybe the young converts who are "in your face" about their new Catholicism are that way *because* they are not getting support from friends and family and they feel a need to defend themselves a lot of the time. I am defensive about my age and my parenting skills because I did not get support from friends and family when I had a child in my teens.

[quote name='StColette' date='23 October 2009 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1256322044' post='1990322']
Depends on if they were saying big "V" vocation or little "v" vocation. It could be considered a little "v" vocation. Just like being a student, PSR catechist, etc. can be little "v" vocations. It wouldn't be a big "V" Vocation.
[/quote]

[quote name='CatherineM' date='23 October 2009 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1256340595' post='1990402']
I consider teaching in adult religious education to be an important vocation with a little "v" or I wouldn't have spent the last 20+ years teaching in RCIA.
[/quote]

It wasn't so much that I disagreed with the idea of it being a vocation, but I didn't think it should be posted on the Vocations forum. The OP posted the question, "Can I teach RCIA?" I asked the moderator if it should be moved to the "Liturgy and Sacraments" thread, and without warning or message, I was suspended for three days. :ohno:

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='23 October 2009 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1256346595' post='1990430']
It wasn't so much that I disagreed with the idea of it being a vocation, but I didn't think it should be posted on the Vocations forum. The OP posted the question, "Can I teach RCIA?" I asked the moderator if it should be moved to the "Liturgy and Sacraments" thread, and without warning or message, I was suspended for three days. :ohno:
[/quote]

Ah, what the tiniest bit of monopoly power does to people who seek it the most.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

Some forums are run like concentration camps. Moderators have free reign to do whatever they want. This I have experienced in the past.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='23 October 2009 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1256351357' post='1990461']
Ah, what the tiniest bit of monopoly power does to people who seek it the most.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='23 October 2009 - 10:38 PM' timestamp='1256351906' post='1990464']
Some forums are run like concentration camps. Moderators have free reign to do whatever they want. This I have experienced in the past.
[/quote]

I agree. The moderator in question has been a jerk once before because I emailed him about a topic I thought was offensive and he emailed me back saying I was trying to do his job and he didn't appreciate me emailing so many times. Um...I only emailed him once. Duh. :blink:

[quote name='InHisLove726' date='23 October 2009 - 10:45 PM' timestamp='1256352303' post='1990470']
I agree. The moderator in question has been a jerk once before because I emailed him about a topic I thought was offensive and he emailed me back saying I was trying to do his job and he didn't appreciate me emailing so many times. Um...I only emailed him once. Duh. :blink:
[/quote]
Sorry. I was having a bad day.

[quote name='Era Might' date='23 October 2009 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1256352461' post='1990476']
[/quote]

I sincerely doubt it was you. It was on another forum. I've never had a problem with Phatmass. :)

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='23 October 2009 - 05:12 PM' timestamp='1256328763' post='1990363']
Phatmass rarely bans anyone.
[/quote]but it happens. Depends upon who you annoy.

[quote name='Era Might' date='23 October 2009 - 10:47 PM' timestamp='1256352461' post='1990476']
[/quote]
oh you joker.