An Old School Catholic Message Board

Disgusting.

Varg

"As Omura Sumitada had gone off to the wars, it so happened that he passed on the way an idol, Marishiten by name, which is their god of battles. When they pass it, they bow and pay reverence to it, and the pagans who are on horseback dismount as a sign of their respect. Now the idol had above it a cockerel. As the daimyo came there with his squadron he had his men stop and ordered them to take the idol and burn it together with the whole temple; and he took the cockerel and gave it a blow with the sword, saying to it, 'Oh, how many times have you betrayed me!' And after everything had been burnt down, he had a very beautiful cross erected on the same spot, and after he and his men had paid very deep reverence to it, they continued on their way to the wars."

Awesome story, no?

[quote name='Varg' date='22 October 2009 - 03:37 PM' timestamp='1256243852' post='1989786']
I hope you all know I only made this thread to get more -reps. Is -39 a new record?
[/quote]
Not even close. I believe Stormstopper will be around -70 now.

(Even regular members aren't really supposed to troll...)

EDIT: I stand corrected. He's closing in on -100.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Varg' date='22 October 2009 - 04:37 PM' timestamp='1256243852' post='1989786']
I hope you all know I only made this thread to get more -reps. Is -39 a new record?
[/quote]
aw, nice way to cover up your increasing interest in the faith ;)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='22 October 2009 - 04:39 PM' timestamp='1256243946' post='1989789']
Not even close. I believe Stormstopper will be around -70 now.

(Even regular members aren't really supposed to troll...)

EDIT: I stand corrected. He's closing in on -100.
[/quote]Ah well...A couple more threads about pagans, church burnings and satan should do it :P

[quote name='picchick' date='22 October 2009 - 04:40 PM' timestamp='1256244009' post='1989790']
aw, nice way to cover up your increasing interest in the faith ;)
[/quote] :sweat:

[quote name='Varg' date='22 October 2009 - 03:45 PM' timestamp='1256244318' post='1989792']
Ah well...A couple more threads about pagans, church burnings and satan should do it :P

:sweat:
[/quote]
I was starting to wonder if you had forgotten to take your happy atheist prozac today.

[quote name='Varg' date='22 October 2009 - 06:08 AM' timestamp='1256202526' post='1989584']
I've just found out that some of the first churches were built on sacred pagan ground. I'd like to see any of you justify that.
[/quote]

Really? Good!

FYI, many of the first Christians were Pagans before they converted. They merely built churches on their pagan grounds.

OH, and Constantine, after he declared the Edict of Religious Toleration, donated some Roman Public buildings to the Church.

Rome was a Pagan culture, so some of those buildings that became churches, were in fact once pagan.

But I'll say it again,... Good! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Jim

Here in Ireland, many pagan sites were "Christianised" as the term here is.

Sadly, some of the old pagan customs survive, like the "rag trees" at Holy Wells.

Pagan had power also and needs the cleansing of Jesus.

There are few standing stones in the far north and here in Ireland that now have the Cross carved on them to that end.

We often mock the beliefs of the ancients. The only thing I regret is that they aren't here so we can mock them to their faces.

[quote name='Varg' date='22 October 2009 - 05:08 AM' timestamp='1256202526' post='1989584']
I've just found out that some of the first churches were built on sacred pagan ground. I'd like to see any of you justify that.
[/quote]

Do you have a link or a source giving details?

[quote name='Varg' date='27 October 2009 - 09:10 AM' timestamp='1256649056' post='1992047']
You guys are always asking for proof...Ironic, really.
[/quote]

Well, not really proof - just asking for a bit more info... I want to be certain of what you're talking about...

Oh, ok.

http://www.tacentral.com/architecture.asp?story_no=3

That's the only thing I can faind on the web, I originally read about it in a book

[quote]The earliest churches were built on pagan temples. [/quote]

Is that what you're refering to?

In my home town, several chruches were sold and made into commerce buildings - does that mean commerce is evil? Waht about the Muslims transforming all the chruches in Constantinople into Mosques? Is that ok with you? The muslims have only been doing it for t500 years, and there's only a few left.

It seems to me you're just looking for excuses to poo of our Church, and I'm sorry, but I don't give much attention to your ilk anymore.

All the best to you, and good luck on your search of faith.