An Old School Catholic Message Board

Disgusting.

Varg

Servus_Mariae

[quote name='Varg' date='22 October 2009 - 05:08 AM' timestamp='1256202526' post='1989584']
I've just found out that some of the first churches were built on sacred pagan ground. I'd like to see any of you justify that.
[/quote]

What makes pagan ground sacred? What makes Catholic ground sacred? I trust you would deem yourself a rationalist devoid of any theistic faith...if this is the case than there is no justification to satisfy you. However, bearing in mind the credibility of faith, the justification is simple. Catholicism bear the fullness of divine revelation and thus has the right and duty to preserve it in its purity. This being the case, pagan ground is not sacred in that it offers distortion of divine revelation and consequently its notion of sacrality is in itself distorted.

Reversing the question, what makes ground "common" or secular? I trust you would have no problem with a Cathedral being leveled and replaced with a library and its sacredness disregarded. Could you justify that?

[quote name='Servus_Mariae' date='22 October 2009 - 09:23 AM' timestamp='1256217811' post='1989608']
Reversing the question, what makes ground "common" or secular? I trust you would have no problem with a Cathedral being leveled and replaced with a library and its sacredness disregarded. Could you justify that?
[/quote]If the Cathederal was out of use and derelict then fine, but if people went there and it was still being used I would probably disagree with it being destroyed and replaced by, say, a mall.

what exactly is the argument here? large majorities of the pagans of Europe were converted and therefore wished to reinterpret sites they previously held as sacred through the eyes of their new religion

If the earth moans when you walk on it, or a sacred tree hisses at you as you cut it down, it's probably better to have a Church there.

~Sternhauser

Servus_Mariae

[quote name='Varg' date='22 October 2009 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1256220074' post='1989611']
If the Cathederal was out of use and derelict then fine, but if people went there and it was still being used I would probably disagree with it being destroyed and replaced by, say, a mall.
[/quote]

I follow. If it would be acceptable to tear down an unused Cathedral and replace it with something else, why would it not be okay to build a Cathedral on a pagan site no longer used as such because of conversions or abandonment?

But...you are really trying to illustrate the point that one sacred space is as good as another and therefore any takeover is unjustifiable because of this inherent equality of varied expressions of theism. Am I right in assuming that?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='22 October 2009 - 11:48 AM' timestamp='1256222911' post='1989622']
If the earth moans when you walk on it, or a sacred tree hisses at you as you cut it down, it's probably better to have a Church there.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
AWESOME thought! :)) :))

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Varg' date='22 October 2009 - 06:08 AM' timestamp='1256202526' post='1989584']
I've just found out that some of the first churches were built on sacred pagan ground. I'd like to see any of you justify that.
[/quote]
First, how can pagans have sacred anything?
Second, to prove a point what better way to really sanctify an area than building a truly holy place on top of it?
I really don't see an issue.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='22 October 2009 - 01:00 PM' timestamp='1256230830' post='1989673']
First, how can pagans have sacred anything?
Second, to prove a point what better way to really sanctify an area than building a truly holy place on top of it?
I really don't see an issue.
[/quote]*headdesk*

[quote name='Servus_Mariae' date='22 October 2009 - 12:17 PM' timestamp='1256228268' post='1989648']
I follow. If it would be acceptable to tear down an unused Cathedral and replace it with something else, why would it not be okay to build a Cathedral on a pagan site no longer used as such because of conversions or abandonment?
[/quote]Because they WERE being used.

Edited by Varg