An Old School Catholic Message Board

Teaching Religion To Children?

Varg

I personally think it's wrong to preach any form of religion (including atheism) to young children. They should be left until they are old enough to make the descision for themselves.

What do the people of the good ship Phatmass think of this issue?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Varg' date='21 October 2009 - 01:37 PM' timestamp='1256143026' post='1989017']
I personally think it's wrong to preach any form of religion (including atheism) to young children. They should be left until they are old enough to make the descision for themselves.

What do the people of the good ship Phatmass think of this issue?
[/quote]
Absolute silliness.
One would be creating little monsters, because one would be precluded from teaching right from wrong.

I think that ia a decision ultimately left to parents and thus my opinion has little value. I will educate my children in my faith, morals, and political opinions and pray they grow to appreciate them as much as I do. That is my right, my perogative, and my position. When my children reach the age of reason, they will have the freedom to embrace, reject, or be indifferent to the things I've tried to avail them of. Maybe its my streak of American libertarianism, but I don't think it's anyone else's business. Nor is it anyone else's place to proselytize my children.

You can only justify the OP in the rejection of objective truth. Since we reject the premise, we reject the conclusion.

Catholic parents have a moral obligation to teach their children about Christ, for to withhold the truths of faith from their children is like refusing to feed them. Both body and soul need nourishment.

Are you asking whether it is inappropriate for religious people to "snipe" other peoples kids? To try to proselytize them while they are under their parent's care and tutelage?

[quote name='Varg' date='21 October 2009 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1256144501' post='1989039']
Hmm...Let me rephrase it: it is bad for anyone BUT the parents to teach kids about religion. There, that makes more sense to me
[/quote]
Parents are the primary educators of their children, but they have the right to appoint a catechist to teach their children about the faith if they wish.

[quote name='Varg' date='21 October 2009 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1256144501' post='1989039']
Hmm...Let me rephrase it: it is bad for anyone BUT the parents to teach kids about religion. There, that makes more sense to me
[/quote]...Without their parents' permission

Servus_Mariae

Well...I would really question the salt of the parent if they didn't. As a devout Catholic, if I were to have a child and not educate him in the faith I hold to be true (not a nice thought but actually true) then I would be exhibiting a really calloused apathy for the well being of my child. Adversely, if I were an atheist and truly held that there was no God, I would have real reservations about my son making radical life decisions based on something that was not true for a Person that didn't actually exist.

I think instruction of the child in (non) religious matters is integral to the role of the parent if he cares for the well being of his child. However, charity should be exorcised here. I would still love my son if he left the Church and became an atheist, but I would fight like all get out doing what was necessary to bring him back. Not because I am Catholic...but because Catholicism is true.

[quote name='Servus_Mariae' date='21 October 2009 - 01:18 PM' timestamp='1256145512' post='1989051']
Well...I would really question the salt of the parent if they didn't. As a devout Catholic, if I were to have a child and not educate him in the faith I hold to be true (not a nice thought but actually true) then I would be exhibiting a really calloused apathy for the well being of my child. Adversely, if I were an atheist and truly held that there was no God, I would have real reservations about my son making radical life decisions based on something that was not true for a Person that didn't actually exist.
[/quote]Very good points :)

When parents teach religion to their children, they are merely giving them the basics of the religion. They can not
give their child faith, for that must come from God.

If the children have not received faith, they will either follow along as conformist, or reject the religion altogether.

Either way, Catholics have the obligation to raise their children in the faith.

Jim

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='21 October 2009 - 11:53 AM' timestamp='1256144018' post='1989036']
Catholic parents have a moral obligation to teach their children about Christ, for to withhold the truths of faith from their children is like refusing to feed them. Both body and soul need nourishment.
[/quote]

:yes:

If someone started instructing my kids in Atheism or Zoroastrianism, any other ism except Catholicism, then there would be trouble.

little_miss_late

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='21 October 2009 - 12:44 PM' timestamp='1256143453' post='1989025']
Absolute silliness.
One would be creating little monsters, because one would be precluded from teaching right from wrong.
[/quote]

My father did not raise me or my siblings in his religion. I think this is because he agreed not to when he married my mom. He taught us to be ethical, respectful, honest, responsible, and generous. We learned right from wrong.

We were exposed to a lot of religion. He told us Bible stories at bedtime. I watched him as he went about the practice of his religion and we went to holidays, weddings, funerals, etc on both sides of the family and saw a lot of different ways to observe.

He let my sister go to a Baptist summer camp with her best friend (although she only went for 2 days :lol: ). In high school I helped a friend's mom teach Hebrew school. He let me go to Midnight Mass with my boyfriend and his family.

When I began to desire a relationship with God and first considered joining the church I thought often of my own father. You don't want to let your Father down. You know He loves you even when you don't deserve it, but instead of that love making you complacent, it motivates you to do things that you couldn't have done on your own. That was one part of the way that God drew me to him, because of the relationship I had with my own very imperfect dad.

I guess my point is that every parent can and should have control over what their children learn about faith. But it's not all black and white. There's a range of possibilities in between preaching and raising monsters. There are also some kids who are stuffed full of religious education who grow up and act as though they don't know right from wrong.