An Old School Catholic Message Board

Democrats Propose Getting Rid Of The Old "it's Ok If You Get R

dairygirl4u2c

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

Democrats propose getting rid of the old "it's OK if you get raped" clause in government contracts, but 30 Republicans object.
http://www.hulu.com/watch/102391/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-rape-nuts?c=Comedy/Satire#

government interfering with private contracts?
government shouldnt change its own contracts?

ideas?

how is this not a larger topic by now? thirty republican senators, including one that ran for president, just voted against a law that says "you should be able to sue if you get gangraped!!"

I don't understand. Doesn't criminal law supercede private contracts?

For example, if someone creates a private contract requesting the importation of contraband, such as drugs or weapons of mass destruction, is that contract enforceable if the other party fails to deliver these illegal goods?

[quote name='mommas_boy' date='17 October 2009 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1255839507' post='1987197']

For example, if someone creates a private contract requesting the importation of contraband, such as drugs or weapons of mass destruction, is that contract enforceable if the other party fails to deliver these illegal goods?
[/quote]

Yes, but American criminal courts do not have jurisdiction in Iraq.

Here, the employment contract states that any claims for sexual harassment against the employer must be submitted to arbitration. Arbitration is a process that is perceived to favor the corporation.

I can see both sides of the issue, but I don't really have a problem with the government withholding contracts from companies who make use of certain employment practices.

That said, I've only really heard one side of the story, and that side has been pretty emotion-based, so I'm open to other arguments against this amendment.

[quote name='mommas_boy' date='17 October 2009 - 11:18 PM' timestamp='1255839507' post='1987197']

[/quote]
As far as I'm aware, a contract regarding illegal matters is considered null.
The court, for instance, wouldn't force a drug dealer to give someone the 50 grams of heroin he paid for... I think instead they just arrest them both. :P Or the drug dealer at least. Haha.

[url="http://www.alternet.org/blogs/peek/143326/to_profit-driven_contractors:_all_rape_cases_must_go_before_the_law,_period?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=alternet"]More Info disturbing[/url]

more disturbing info here. detailing more on KBR's guilt

Edited by Jesus_lol

So, I just finished watching "Jericho" on Netflix. This whole thing kinda reminds me of the actions of the Ravenwood "government contractors" on the show ... and how they could get away with almost anything.

Edited by mommas_boy