An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Hear God/ Jesus/ Mary Speaking Words Of Wisdom

Mark of the Cross

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote]Surely there was more to it than that.People wouldn't write "In times of trouble Mother Mary comes to me.Whispering words of wisdom, let it be." unless they had had such an experience.[/quote]

I thought he was talking about marijuana. That was my undertstanding of it.

Edited by Kitty

The Beatles never climbed as high as Christianity as far as I can see. McCartney did indeed say the "Mother Mary" part was inspired by a dream he had of his dead mother who told him to "let it be". I've had some weird experiences and don't necessarily attribute them to God. Best not to pay much attention to such things unless they persist. And then you should "test the spirits" as St. John says to see if they are of God.
As for schizophrenia I side with the great Oscar Levant who said: "Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm schizophrenic and so am I!" :smokey:
"Does the noise in my head bother you?" from which film?

S.

Edited by Skinzo

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='15 October 2009 - 02:38 AM' timestamp='1255588738' post='1985766']
Of course you haven't. Everyone knows that when Jesus and Mary appear in visions, they speak Latin. :P
[/quote]

I've had at least one word of wisdom confirmed by my spiritual director, not from the Bible nor from someone else, and it had no language, sound, etc. to it, but pure meaning: a command direct, loud and clear. It said exactly what it meant and no more. I read into it too much at first; nevertheless, following it was a source of spiritual growth for me. Part of that growth was coming to the understanding that the result is up to HIM, and that I'm to follow the command, no matter the outcome.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='15 October 2009 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1255641704' post='1986065']
Surely there was more to it than that.People wouldn't write "In times of trouble Mother Mary comes to me.Whispering words of wisdom, let it be." unless they had had such an experience.
[/quote]

Again, according to a Beatles biography, that line came from a dream that he had about his mother, her name was Mary. It's what inspired those lyrics. I'm not gonna argue with the man who wrote the lyrics when he says that's why he wrote them. Apparently the phrase "Let It Be" is something his mom would tell him when he was having fights with his brother or when things were difficult. During the period in which the song was written it was a difficult time for the band and that's when Paul had the dream about his mother in which she told him to "let it be, and things would be okay".

I always thought it was written right after they had claimed to be "bigger than Jesus" and all the Christians were burning their records, so they figured they'd appease them and do a shout out to Mary.

I'm sure they weren't big enough dunces not to realize that the lyrics would be interpreted in a Christian context... I think it's likely a mix of the two motivations... one, he had this dream and figured it'd make a really good song; two, he figured if he put the lyrics ambiguously enough, it'd sound like a Christian theme and people might stop burning their records.

hearing and seeing divine things with the senses is the 8th grade of prayer... and there are only 9 grades. most people spend their whole lives in the lower 5 grades of prayer. now, people often receive foretastes of higher grades of prayer, and that is likely what happens in most cases when the external senses are able to perceive things from spiritual causes: that one is receiving a foretaste of the prayer of conforming union. that is quite a blessing, but one must remember that any experience of something divine told directly to your senses must be tested against the teachings of Christ through His Church, because there are other sinister spiritual causes which can speak to one's senses pretending to be God. and there is also the force of the imagination.

a couple general discernment points I'd suggest: if the voice is always confirming your latest opinion about this or that topic of faith or morality, it's likely imagination or more sinister (a divine voice would always challenge you to be better, not make you complacent in the status quo of what you already know or think you know). if the voice is contradicting directly what the Church teaches or what the scriptures say, it is likely sinister. if it does neither of these things, it could be either imaginary or divine... so long as the imaginary is not harmful, it's okay to draw inspiration from it; so if one discerns that it's either imaginary or divine, and one is careful to have a measuring stick against which to test the things it tells you, then it can probably be considered divine either by God directly speaking to you, or through providence God inspiring your imagination to advance things which are true to yourself.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='notardillacid' date='17 October 2009 - 03:21 AM' timestamp='1255760511' post='1986867']
If you hear voices, is that a mental disorder? What should one who hears voices do?
[/quote]
I would start by first considering what the voices are telling you. If they are telling you go to confession and Mass I would certainly listen. If they are telling you that you have secret knowledge or you are reallllly special, definitely go to Confession and Mass AND make an appointment to talk to the priest. If they are telling you something stupid like you are realllllly special and have super powers go to the nearest mental health clinic and check yourself in.
In all cases talk to a competant catholic professional [ priest, nun, shrink, therapist]and discuss it.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='18 October 2009 - 02:04 AM' timestamp='1255791891' post='1986943']
Iwould start by first considering what the voices are telling you. Ifthey are telling you go to confession and Mass I would certainlylisten. If they are telling you that you have secret knowledge or youare reallllly special, definitely go to Confession and Mass AND make anappointment to talk to the priest. If they are telling you somethingstupid like you are realllllly special and have super powers go to thenearest mental health clinic and check yourself in.
In all cases talk to a competant catholic professional [ priest, nun, shrink, therapist]and discuss it.
[/quote]
The 'voice' I hear that I know is God/Jesus is always wise and gentle, just like a Fathers voice should be. :rolleyes: Certainly people need to be careful and follow the above advice because I'm sure satan also talks to people and is the one that tells people to do silly/violent things. To hear Jesus doesn't require any special saintliness or I would have no hope. Maybe it just requires 'faith'. The first time I heard him was during a life crisis and I cried to him for help. Clearly I heard him say "Trust me my son!" After that I had to believe and have lost count of the number of times he has spoken to me. Maybe 20 or so times in 60 years and possibly more that I don't know about.

Theologian in Training

"You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic" --House

I once went on a silent retreat, and the few times I heard a voice, it was clear and definitive. I asked my spiritual director at the time whether I was going crazy or whether something else was happening. He said: "When you are in the desert, the voice is easier to hear."

Then I thought more about what he was saying, but if you think about it, when the Desert Fathers were in the desert, they contended with three voices, their own, God's and the Devil's, it was in discerning the voice that they came to find which one was genuine and which one was not. Yet, as with anything, by "your fruits you will know them." What the voice says is important and not just important integral to understanding what it is that is being said and why. Also, you have to always take into consideration the context, does it happen in prayer? on the street? by yourself? with people? Discernment is key, however, the best way to know, is to ask yourself how you are left, with peace or anxiety, with tranquility or fear? Usually that, too, is a good indicator.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Theologian in Training' date='20 October 2009 - 02:47 AM' timestamp='1255967226' post='1987827']
"You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic" --House

I once went on a silent retreat, and the few times I heard a voice, it was clear and definitive. I asked my spiritual director at the time whether I was going crazy or whether something else was happening. He said: "When you are in the desert, the voice is easier to hear."

Then I thought more about what he was saying, but if you think about it, when the Desert Fathers were in the desert, they contended with three voices, their own, God's and the Devil's, it was in discerning the voice that they came to find which one was genuine and which one was not. Yet, as with anything, by "your fruits you will know them." What the voice says is important and not just important integral to understanding what it is that is being said and why. Also, you have to always take into consideration the context, does it happen in prayer? on the street? by yourself? with people? Discernment is key, however, the best way to know, is to ask yourself how you are left, with peace or anxiety, with tranquility or fear? Usually that, too, is a good indicator.
[/quote]
Maybe that's my answer. I hear Jesus talking to me because I spend a lot of time in the wilderness, but then I am not alone there. In the wilderness I have many brothers and sisters.
When my head snaps around at a girl in revealing clothes which does nothing for me except make me appear coarse to those who observe it, I know it was the satan that caused this. Once when I was to do a talk for RCIA, I was very nervous and thought should I take a Valium so I can do it well, but then no, I should just do it to prove my trust in God. In my mind flashed a thought. "You don't have to be a Martyr Mark, I know how much you love me." This I believe beyond any doubt was Jesus talking to me.