An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Hear God/ Jesus/ Mary Speaking Words Of Wisdom

Mark of the Cross

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Mark of the Cross

I'm trying to determine if I'm mad or if the song "Mother Mary comes to me whispering words of wisdom" is common to many Catholic/Christians.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

I've never experienced a "speaking to" in plain, flat out English words. Maybe that's just me.

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

I've never had anything that I would consider a divine voice, etc. There have been a couple coincidences that I don't really think were coincidences, and I believe God works in my life, but I never have any direct sign of that. It's just an act of faith.

3-4% of the population hears voices routinely. Only one percent of population actually has schizophrenia. That either means that 75% of people who hear voices don't care, or they just don't bother them, or it may mean they are hearing something other than the noises of insanity.

Yes, I have heard the Lord speak words of wisdom to me. It was during adoration several years ago, and I will never forget the way I felt when I heard it. I knew it was Jesus because i felt such a sense of peace afterword. God is good!

Hmm, im not sure mine was a voice necessarily, but I heard the words..somehow.

Edited by mariahLVzJP2

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='mariahLVzJP2' date='15 October 2009 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1255567338' post='1985534']
[/quote]
That's kind of how I perceive it. Not really a voice, more of a thought, but definitely not my own. I know it's not my own because it's always wise.:lol_sign:
Lennon/McCartney at least must have had some experience to have written the song 'Let it be'

little_miss_late

[quote name='mariahLVzJP2' date='14 October 2009 - 08:42 PM' timestamp='1255567338' post='1985534']
[/quote]

Me too.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='14 October 2009 - 05:52 PM' timestamp='1255560731' post='1985398']
I've never experienced a "speaking to" in plain, flat out English words. Maybe that's just me.
[/quote]

Of course you haven't. Everyone knows that when Jesus and Mary appear in visions, they speak Latin. :P

Edited by Resurrexi

If I remember correctly, the song Let It Be was written after McCartney had a dream about his mother. I believe she died of cancer while he was pretty young.

I have only experienced something like that on one occasion. I am not certain it was the voice of God, or just a realization, or what. It was just before I entered RCIA. I was weighing whether or not to become Catholic, and was really hung up on the Eucharist and whether or not it was truly the Body and Blood of Christ. Intellectually, I could buy the arguments that it was, but it really hadn't penetrated my heart. I had been praying that, if it were true, God would make it real to me and erase my doubts.

So one Sunday, I was serving communion at the church I attended before becoming Catholic, and sat down in the front pew to receive from the pastor. We used a loaf of bread, and each person tore off a piece when it came to them. When it came to me, I tore off a piece, and the thought entered my brain, "Every week, we rip and tear at the Body of Christ." As I reflected on that in the weeks after, I think it had significance not only for the act of tearing off the piece of communion bread in that gathering, but also because of the rips and tears in the fabric of the Christian family brought about by denominational divisions, and other divisions in the Church. It was extremely moving, and I had to fight to hold back tears as I sat waiting to eat the bread.

I signed up for RCIA later that week, and the rest is history.

cmotherofpirl

You are assuming people know if they have schizophrenia or not. Big assumption, they may just be multiple personalities.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='16 October 2009 - 06:51 AM' timestamp='1255636284' post='1985983']
You are assuming people know if they have schizophrenia or not. Big assumption, they may just be multiple personalities.
[/quote]
The reference to schizophrenia is a bit of a personal joke. I have a mental illness but definitely not schizophrenia. At Mass we pray "protect us from all anxiety...." Ironically anxiety is my disease. It's how Satan taunts me and what Jesus protects me from. It could be why he talks to me often. Because I need it!

[quote name='StColette' date='16 October 2009 - 06:06 AM' timestamp='1255633585' post='1985947']
If I remember correctly, the song Let It Be was written after McCartney had a dream about his mother. I believe she died of cancer while he was pretty young.
[/quote]
Surely there was more to it than that.People wouldn't write "In times of trouble Mother Mary comes to me.Whispering words of wisdom, let it be." unless they had had such an experience.

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='16 October 2009 - 06:19 AM' timestamp='1255634359' post='1985957']
I signed up for RCIA later that week, and the rest is history.
[/quote]

I would think this was definitely a conversation with God. :thumbsup:

Edited by Mark of the Cross