An Old School Catholic Message Board

Exhistental Nihilism

Varg

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' date='24 October 2009 - 06:33 PM' timestamp='1256423627' post='1990806']
Who says it would be more?
[/quote]

Reason, and logic. Intelligence is certainly more than non-intelligence.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='24 October 2009 - 06:38 PM' timestamp='1256423907' post='1990807']
Reason, and logic. Intelligence is certainly more than non-intelligence.
[/quote]

More what?

More energy? More "good" in some Platonic sense?

[quote name='Varg' date='22 October 2009 - 04:01 PM' timestamp='1256245316' post='1989797']
That's true, but most of the people I speak to about it say that it's less depressing than believing that life is a test designed to see if we're good enough to get rewarded and if we're not good enough then we are punished forever. I kind of agree with them.
[/quote]

So do I; I think nihilism is better than living a blameless life, masturbating once, dying and going to hell....

Edited by jkaands

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' date='24 October 2009 - 07:04 PM' timestamp='1256425448' post='1990819']
More what?

More energy? More "good" in some Platonic sense?
[/quote]

Intelligence.

[quote name='jkaands' date='24 October 2009 - 06:23 PM' timestamp='1256426621' post='1990826']
So do I; I think nihilism is better than living a blameless life, masturbating once, dying and going to hell....
[/quote]

Exactly. And masturbation is wrong why? Because God randomly decides that some acts are good and some are bad.
I really do not think God is that petty.

[quote name='OraProMe' date='24 October 2009 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1256426923' post='1990831']
And masturbation is wrong why?
[/quote]

It is contrary to the nature of human sexuality.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='OraProMe' date='24 October 2009 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1256426923' post='1990831']
Exactly. And masturbation is wrong why? Because God randomly decides that some acts are good and some are bad.
I really do not think God is that petty.
[/quote]

Why does my Car manual tell me to wear a seatbelt and not to put sugar in the gas tank?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='24 October 2009 - 07:26 PM' timestamp='1256426766' post='1990830']
Intelligence.
[/quote]

So your position is that intelligence is more intelligent than non intelligence?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='24 October 2009 - 07:33 PM' timestamp='1256427233' post='1990834']
Why does my Car manual tell me to wear a seatbelt and not to put sugar in the gas tank?
[/quote]

Masturbation decreases you likelihood of surviving a car wreck?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' date='24 October 2009 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1256427242' post='1990835']
So your position is that intelligence is more intelligent than non intelligence?
[/quote]

What is this 20 questions? My position is that intelligence can not come from non intelligence, there can't be more in the effect than there was in the cause. Since there is intelligence in the effect, man, there must be intelligence in the cause.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' date='24 October 2009 - 07:37 PM' timestamp='1256427444' post='1990839']
Masturbation decreases you likelihood of surviving a car wreck?
[/quote]

Good gravy... :duh: the point was there are good reasons why we should not do things that are harmful. God just doesn't sit on high and say "NO! Can't do that because, I say So!" There's a reason, just like theres a reason why we're asked to wear our seat belts and not put sugar in the gas tank.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='24 October 2009 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1256427924' post='1990845']
What is this 20 questions? My position is that intelligence can not come from non intelligence, there can't be more in the effect than there was in the cause. Since there is intelligence in the effect, man, there must be intelligence in the cause.
[/quote]

Yes, I know your position. I ask "20 questions" because it is a very vague posiiton which thus far you have been either unable or unwilling to elaborate on.

What is the "more" you are relating between intelligence and non intelligence?

So far your only response to this question is "intelligence" which results in your position being essentially that "intelligence cannot come from non intelligence because there cannot be 'more' in the effect than the cause and intelligence is more intelligent than non intelligence"

Which is less than clear.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='24 October 2009 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1256428195' post='1990847']
Good gravy... :duh: the point was there are good reasons why we should not do things that are harmful. God just doesn't sit on high and say "NO! Can't do that because, I say So!" There's a reason, just like theres a reason why we're asked to wear our seat belts and not put sugar in the gas tank.
[/quote]

How is masturbation harmful? Even accepting that premise, why is it a mortal sin and not the host of other activities which can be harmful?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' date='24 October 2009 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1256428549' post='1990852']
Yes, I know your position. I ask "20 questions" because it is a very vague posiiton which thus far you have been either unable or unwilling to elaborate on.

What is the "more" you are relating between intelligence and non intelligence?

So far your only response to this question is "intelligence" which results in your position being essentially that "intelligence cannot come from non intelligence because there cannot be 'more' in the effect than the cause and intelligence is more intelligent than non intelligence"

Which is less than clear.
[/quote]

No, if your going to quote me actually quote me. I stated "My position is that intelligence can not come from non intelligence, there can't be more in the effect than there was in the cause. Since there is intelligence in the effect, man, there must be intelligence in the cause. "

A non-intelligence has none, a intelligent being has something the non-intelligence does not have, thus it has something more. A intelligence has something the non-intelligence lacks, namely intelligence. What part of that do you not understand?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' date='24 October 2009 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1256428637' post='1990854']
How is masturbation harmful? Even accepting that premise, why is it a mortal sin and not the host of other activities which can be harmful?
[/quote]

If you wish to start a topic about that I'm sure someone would be willing to give you a answer. But I am done with playing 20 questions.