An Old School Catholic Message Board

Exhistental Nihilism

Varg

dairygirl4u2c

it's counter i believe to the 'near death experience', what it teaches. you'll find many followers of that though, who say it's still meaningless, life, and we merely project our own desires into the experience of our afterlife and live that.

it's a depressing world view. it requires having no hope, generally. we're here, then we die, and that's all. some people find it liberating to embrace it, countra anything God related etc. but at least have hope for more one day. i asked a nihilist once if he believed in the after life given he didn't believe in God and was an atheist, and he said he didn't know. i think even he was wantingto have some hope.
and even if you have hope, it'd be despressing not to think that what we do has any deeper meaning. perhaps it should be self fulfilling, life. but, it seems like it should be more than that. and, for those who have been given lower lots in life, struggle having meaning etc, gives justice etc.

hope is good, and meaning is good. a person could choose to live a life differently and opposed to those, by why? are they pursuing truth cause they think those are unwarranted? that's the only thing that would make sense. but even then, hope isn't much to ask for. and even hoping for meaning, is that terrible.

[quote name='Varg' date='13 October 2009 - 10:36 AM' timestamp='1255448202' post='1984580']
I never implied you were a nihilist
[/quote]
You did a while ago, based on my SN. ;)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 October 2009 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1255453734' post='1984629']
[/quote]

If I recall correctly, he said, "'Nihil,' 'nihilism,' oh, I get it now." Meaning, he understood the link between the word "Nihil" meaning "nothing," and "nihilism."

~Sternhauser

[quote name='Varg' date='12 October 2009 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1255381384' post='1984085']
What are your views on exhistential nihilism? (believing that here is no point/deeper meaning to life)
[/quote]

Do you want a cure for radical skepticism, existential skepticism and/or nihilism? Punch yourself in the nose. Repeatedly.

~Sternhauser

Edited by Sternhauser

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='13 October 2009 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1255453734' post='1984629']
[/quote]Noooooo, I never said [i]you[/i] were a nihilist because you obviously aren't. I was just curious how "Nihil" connected to nihilism.

But to be honest at the time I though "Nihil Obstat" was a person, the guy in your avatar >.<

Edited by Varg

[quote name='Varg' date='13 October 2009 - 12:33 PM' timestamp='1255455183' post='1984635']
Noooooo, I never said [i]you[/i] were a nihilist because you obviously aren't. I was just curious how "Nihil" connected to nihilism.

But to be honest at the time I though "Nihil Obstat" was a person, the guy in your avatar >.<
[/quote]
Hehe. :lol:
My mistake.

• 2 weeks later...
Servus_Mariae

[quote name='Varg' date='12 October 2009 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1255381384' post='1984085']
What are your views on exhistential nihilism? (believing that here is no point/deeper meaning to life)
[/quote]

It makes sense if there is no God. But there is a God so it doesn't make sense. lol.

I think that the certainty of atheism is required for nihilism to be considered worth adopting as a system of thought. However, the certainty of atheism is rather presumptuous and the premises for atheism quite inconclusive.

So, I would say that atheism is necessary for nihilism to be intellectually enticing, but atheism is not a firm enough foundation to base anything on. So, my views on existential nihilism are that one may hold them...but I wish its subscribers good luck sleeping at night.

hehe i only just now looked up what Nihils name meant. i knew nihil meant nothing but wasnt sure about the rest.

eagle_eye222001

[/quote]

It just sounds depressing to me. I mean, we build our lives around meaning, and the idea that there is nothing more than what we physically see just seems.......depressing, and pointless. Like, that's it?

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='21 October 2009 - 10:34 PM' timestamp='1256175286' post='1989347']
It just sounds depressing to me. I mean, we build our lives around meaning, and the idea that there is nothing more than what we physically see just seems.......depressing, and pointless. Like, that's it?
[/quote]We can build our lives around meaning that others inflict on ourselves, or we seek meaning from other's consensus, or we can choose to create or define our own meaning and purpose. The easy alternative is to fail to choose or seek any meaning or purpose and just claim maeaning and purpose cannot exist.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='21 October 2009 - 09:34 PM' timestamp='1256175286' post='1989347']
[/quote]That's true, but most of the people I speak to about it say that it's less depressing than believing that life is a test designed to see if we're good enough to get rewarded and if we're not good enough then we are punished forever. I kind of agree with them...

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Varg' date='22 October 2009 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1256245316' post='1989797']
That's true, but most of the people I speak to about it say that it's less depressing than believing that life is a test designed to see if we're good enough to get rewarded and if we're not good enough then we are punished forever. I kind of agree with them...
[/quote]

O'rly now? Having no purpose to your life whatsoever, a life where love does not exist. That type of 'life' is better than one of purpose, were love does exist, a life which you clearly do not understand? Nor do these people you speak of.

Edited by KnightofChrist