An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contraceptives In China

OraProMe

The one child policy is really hard on the families in China. So much pressure is put on the one child and they are expected to be successful so that they can take care of their parents. I remember in the past when one Catholic woman who went to China to teach english and evangelized there make a guest appearance on EWTN and she spoke on the negative affects of this policy. She had a student who had a nervous breakdown and had to be admited into a mental hospital. Apparentally, she wasn't able to get into graduate school which had meant so much to her mother. When her mother came to pick her up from the hospital the girl angrily accused her of never loving her.

[quote name='OraProMe' date='12 October 2009 - 05:14 PM' timestamp='1255392879' post='1984175']
My international politics text book said a third of the population are subject to the policy and wiki said something similar :mellow:

I've read that the underground Church is actually much larger than the state run "Catholic" Church and there is a significant overlap between the two.
[/quote]

Really everyone is subject to the policy... except 65% have an exception to be able to have a second child. So maybe you can call it the 1-2 child policy act.

either way, those with an exception, in the normal course of non-contraceptive marriage without excessive use of NFP would have more than their family limit.

The significant overlap between underground and state run is because it is very grey and there are many churches now that are "underground" but the government approves of. The government says "yes you can do what you are doing... as long as you agree that we say yes you can do it."

Still, tens of millions of Catholics is not anywhere near what the guesses of Catholics including underground are at.

[quote]"In 2008 the official number is 20 million in the Official Protestant churches and 10 million in the Official Catholic Church. According to China Aid Association, Ye Xiaowen, the director of the government body which supervises all religions in China, said privately that the figure was indeed as much as 130 millions in early 2008.[20] The claim was denied by Mrs. Guo Wei, director of the Foreign Affairs Department in Beijing[citation needed]. Some bloggers had attributed the report to the official Xinhua News Agency, which denied having reported anything such.[12]. According to John Micklethwait "a conservative guess" (as at the end of 2008) "is that there are at least 65 million Protestants in China and 12 million Catholics"[31]"[/quote]

from wikipedia.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='11 October 2009 - 07:50 PM' timestamp='1255305015' post='1983347']
They'd have to track me down and kill me before I would comply with an abortion.
[/quote]
thats the idea

The short answer is that its wrong to let it pass that a government can force this policy to begin with. whether it be 35% of the population, 99% of the population, or 1% of the population.

The longer answer is that contraceptives are wrong whether there's a gun pointed at your head or not. They undermine the dignity of human beings and their purpose in life - to love fully and completely as God loves...and they do more damage to humanity than anything else.

as for China, this is a great book:
http://www.catholic.org/featured/headline.php?ID=5121

Marie-Therese

It's interesting, because China has unwittingly contracepted itself into a serious decline. Due to the one child policy, and the overwhelming attitude toward the value of male children as opposed to females, there now exists an enormous number of adult males who have very little chance of marriage, because the female to male ratio is so skewed. The population control of the Chinese government has, in effect, led to a domino effect that will cripple the Chinese population.

Chinese culture traditionally values their elderly, so I would think that a euthanasia program would not go over well. Not that anything has ever stopped the Chinese govt from doing as it pleases, but I meant...it would seem a very 'unChinese' thing to do. Maybe.

The grandparent problem is real - 2 generations of only kids means that one child is responsible for caring for all 4 grandparents (and if this child marries an only child, for all 4 of the spouse's grandparents as well). This is obviously a difficult situation, and allowing the second generation to have 2 kids only partially alleviates it.

Catholics in China are certainly persecuted, but the 'One-to-Two Child Policy' is only part of it. I'm very glad I don't live there, though the Church has always been vibrant and thrived under persecution, so maybe the Church is healthier there.

They do track women down; villages have a paid "informer" and the women are forced then.

[quote name='CatherineM' date='11 October 2009 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1255305015' post='1983347']
They'd have to track me down and kill me before I would comply with an abortion.
[/quote]

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='11 October 2009 - 09:32 PM' timestamp='1255311131' post='1983476']
It is never acceptable to use artificial contraception.
[/quote]

“the Church does not consider at all illicit the use of thosetherapeutic means necessary to cure bodily diseases, even if aforeseeable impediment to procreation should result there from—providedsuch impediment is not directly intended for any motive whatsoever” (HV15).

While that little correction is taken care of, what China is doing does not constitute therapeutic.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='12 October 2009 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1255387532' post='1984132']
According to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy#The_.22Four-Two-One.22_problem"]Wikipedia[/url], 35.9% are subject to the "one child" policy.

According to the [url="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6726244.ece"]Times[/url]article,

Piecing some stuff together, it may very well be that only 35% is subject to the "one child only" policy since they have had the policy in effect for 30 years. So the number of people eligible for two would increase since 30 years is a long enough time to build up a bunch of single kid families and the second article points to the fact that China has a growing crisis of being unable to care for its elderly.
[/quote]

No, the reach of the state has never been nearly what it is in Urban Han China in the rural Han or non Han Chinese populations. Rural Chinese generally have more freedoms from direct state intervention.