An Old School Catholic Message Board

Contraceptives In China

OraProMe

China's "One Child Policy" is the communist governments way of regulating population growth. Only 35% of the population is subject to the policy (rural areas, ethnic minorities etc. are exceptions). Tens of millions of the people subject to the One Child Policy are catholics. Failure to comply to the policy often results in forced abortion. So my question is: would it be permissable for Chinese Catholics to use contraception given that if they don't they're liable to face fines, punishment and even the abortion of their child?

Archaeology cat

I wouldn't think so. Two wrongs don't make a right, as they say. Especially since some forms of contraception (namely hormonal forms and the IUD) can result in an early abortion by allowing for fertilisation but not implantation. They could use NFP, since that does not seek to sterilise either parent (temporarily through a barrier or hormone, or permanently through surgery) and does not result in an early abortion, but simply identifies the most fertile times so they can abstain temporarily ([url="http://www.woomb.org/bom/trials/chinaLaunching.html"]the Chinese Ministry of Health has distributed info about Billings[/url] I don't know if they also promote sympto-thermal or other methods).

If the early martyrs could have the strength to choose to die rather than obey Roman law and worship the state deities, if I was in such a position as above I could at least accept a fine or imprisonment for refusal to kill a child and worship the "deity of the state."

Archaeology cat

[quote name='CatherineM' date='12 October 2009 - 12:50 AM' timestamp='1255305015' post='1983347']
They'd have to track me down and kill me before I would comply with an abortion.
[/quote]
:yes:

The root of this "problem" is the one child policy. Among other things, it strips the people of their God given duty to "be fertile and multiply."
No one should tell another what to do when building a family. No one should tell another, "You are required to use this birth control." "You are required to have an abortion."

This is only one of the many reasons why I do not like Communist China.

In addition to the excellent points which have already been made, I would add that we can make a solid argument that accepting a contraceptive mentality is the forerunner of the one child policy in China, and of similar governmental actions in other countries. For Catholic parents to fight this mentality by joining in is self-defeating.

Consider, for example, the prophetic words of Pope Paul VI in [i]Humanae Vitae[/i], published in 1968 in response to calls from Catholics to allow for licit use of birth control:
[quote]Finally, careful consideration should be given to the danger of this power passing into the hands of those public authorities who care little for the precepts of the moral law. Who will blame a government which in its attempt to resolve the problems affecting an entire country resorts to the same measures as are regarded as lawful by married people in the solution of a particular family difficulty? Who will prevent public authorities from favoring those contraceptive methods which they consider more effective? Should they regard this as necessary, they may even impose their use on everyone. It could well happen, therefore, that when people, either individually or in family or social life, experience the inherent difficulties of the divine law and are determined to avoid them, they may give into the hands of public authorities the power to intervene in the most personal and intimate responsibility of husband and wife.[/quote]

Edited by Terra Firma

[quote name='Gregorius' date='11 October 2009 - 09:08 PM' timestamp='1255316901' post='1983613']
If the early martyrs could have the strength to choose to die rather than obey Roman law and worship the state deities, if I was in such a position as above I could at least accept a fine or imprisonment for refusal to kill a child and worship the "deity of the state."
[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
Action failed: You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

[quote name='OraProMe' date='11 October 2009 - 02:04 AM' timestamp='1255251850' post='1983011']
China's "One Child Policy" is the communist governments way of regulating population growth. Only 35% of the population is subject to the policy (rural areas, ethnic minorities etc. are exceptions). Tens of millions of the people subject to the One Child Policy are catholics. Failure to comply to the policy often results in forced abortion. So my question is: would it be permissable for Chinese Catholics to use contraception given that if they don't they're liable to face fines, punishment and even the abortion of their child?
[/quote]

Ora, where are you getting your statistics?

you say only 35% of the population is subject to it, rural area's etc are exceptions... but that's not true to my knowledge, and I've been there before.

Exceptions CAN be made for rural area's etc, but it isn't a "have as many children as you want" exception. It's "ok we'll let you have one more, but if you have a third we'll come and burn your house down and force you to get an abortion."

China has a population police that monitors these things. Also, I'm not sure about your tens of millions of Catholic's statistic either. China may be 1 billion plus people, but in ALL of Beijing China there are 7 church's not including those underground (which I don't think there is a surplus of).

Nope, you can't do a wrong to make a right. Can't do evil to bring about good. And besides that, many forms of contraception are abortifacient. In fact, I think all hormonal forms are.

eagle_eye222001

According to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy#The_.22Four-Two-One.22_problem"]Wikipedia[/url], 35.9% are subject to the "one child" policy.

According to the [url="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6726244.ece"]Times[/url]article,

[quote]
Urban parents are permitted to have two children if the husband and wife were only children. In rural areas, couples are allowed a second child if their first is a girl.[/quote]

[quote]For the first time in 30 years, officials in the country’s economic capital have urged eligible parents to plan for a second child. The move was prompted by the growing demographic imbalance in the city and fears that the younger generation will not be able to support the ageing population.[/quote]

Piecing some stuff together, it may very well be that only 35% is subject to the "one child only" policy since they have had the policy in effect for 30 years. So the number of people eligible for two would increase since 30 years is a long enough time to build up a bunch of single kid families and the second article points to the fact that China has a growing crisis of being unable to care for its elderly.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='12 October 2009 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1255387532' post='1984132']
According to [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-child_policy#The_.22Four-Two-One.22_problem"]Wikipedia[/url], 35.9% are subject to the "one child" policy.

According to the [url="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article6726244.ece"]Times[/url]article,

Piecing some stuff together, it may very well be that only 35% is subject to the "one child only" policy since they have had the policy in effect for 30 years. So the number of people eligible for two would increase since 30 years is a long enough time to build up a bunch of single kid families and the second article points to the fact that China has a growing crisis of being unable to care for its elderly.
[/quote]

But once that happens China will change their policy.

Growing crisis of being unable to care for elderly? What is stopping them from euthanizing them? Nothing. Of course that is speculation but there is nothing stopping them. Do you really think that they are going to change a policy to cut down on population numbers to prolong the life of people?

Edited by picchick

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='picchick' date='12 October 2009 - 07:01 PM' timestamp='1255388478' post='1984141']
But once that happens China will change their policy.

Growing crisis of being unable to care for elderly? What is stopping them from euthanizing them? Nothing. Of course that is speculation but there is nothing stopping them. Do you really think that they are going to change a policy to cut down on population numbers to prolong the life of people?
[/quote]

I am sure China will act in the interest of China. They haven't cared about human beings before, I doubt they'll start now. :mellow:

[quote name='Slappo' date='12 October 2009 - 12:52 PM' timestamp='1255369971' post='1984006']
Ora, where are you getting your statistics?

you say only 35% of the population is subject to it, rural area's etc are exceptions... but that's not true to my knowledge, and I've been there before.

Exceptions CAN be made for rural area's etc, but it isn't a "have as many children as you want" exception. It's "ok we'll let you have one more, but if you have a third we'll come and burn your house down and force you to get an abortion."

China has a population police that monitors these things. Also, I'm not sure about your tens of millions of Catholic's statistic either. China may be 1 billion plus people, but in ALL of Beijing China there are 7 church's not including those underground (which I don't think there is a surplus of).
[/quote]

My international politics text book said a third of the population are subject to the policy and wiki said something similar :mellow:

I've read that the underground Church is actually much larger than the state run "Catholic" Church and there is a significant overlap between the two.