An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Women Serve On Navy Subs?

Lil Red

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Saint Therese

An all female sub crew would be awesome. Imagine the fighting spirit of a crew of women all having PMS at the same time!!!

[quote name='picchick' date='12 October 2009 - 11:39 AM' timestamp='1255365554' post='1983971']
I don't know about other people but when I have PMS (TMI I know...) I am in no mood to fight anything.
[/quote]
:bigshock:

:P

[quote name='picchick' date='12 October 2009 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1255373379' post='1984030']
careful...my subs pack a punch :P :unsure:
[/quote]

Extra spicy?

YUM! :saint:

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='10 October 2009 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1255195945' post='1982422']
My father was a Navy submariner during the Cold War. I grew up around sub guys and on the crafts themselves and know the climate and the type of life that it requires...and under no circumstances would I ever advocate a mixed gender crew. If they want to have female submariners, they should have their own craft, but I'm not even sure that is necessarily a great idea.

It is very easy for people to make the argument that genders are equal and therefore should do the same jobs. I just don't agree with that. As Fr. Corapi likes to say, the sexes are equal in dignity, but they are not the same. Equality and sameness are different things. Knowing what I know about the life of a submariner, I personally don't think that it is a job well-suited for a woman, IMHO.
[/quote]
my granddad was an officer on a sub.

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='Maximilianus' date='08 October 2009 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1255062516' post='1981496']
From my experience in the military it would not be a good idea to have women in subs. It's not that women can't perform with he same acumen as men, but putting men and women together will cause all kinds of extra interpersonal problems that will effect the morale and effectiveness of a unit, stuff that is not needed in times of warfighting.

Support units that have mixed units already have to handle the added issues of sexual harrassment, fraternization and all the social politics involved when co-workers get intimately involved. A unit/vessel whose primary task is combat doesn't need that headache.

...plus girls have cooties.
[/quote]

I, a female, currently serve aboard the finest warship in the world, a U.S. Navy guided missile destroyer--so know my perspective as I begin to write.

I'd first like to respond to the statement that "a unit/vessel whose primary task is combat" doesn't need the "headache" of a co-ed environment. The two classes of ships in the Navy that are most often engaged in combat (i.e. putting rounds down-range, intercepting pirate vessels, etc) are cruisers and destroyers, both of which have women and men serving aboard, both officers and enlisted personnel. When it comes to combat, submarines are not doing nearly as much actual combat these days, at least in the traditional sense. Don't get me wrong--their role is vital, each class of subs serving a very particular mission. But just know that the Navy's primary WARFIGHTING ships are integrated--and have been for a while now.

My fellow female sailors are some of the most driven, knowledgeable, and motivated warriors on the ship. Some are not. Some of the male sailors on my ship are incredible leaders and warriors; some are idiots and careless. It's all relative. It's impossible to judge a sailor just by their gender; I have seen the best and the worst from both men and women.

Please don't think that integrated ships go to sea and become these big scandalous sexual places just because both men and women serve onboard. I think that's a pretty unfair assumption for one to make. Are there issues, at times, with sexual harassment and promiscuity on integrated ships? Unfortunately, yes. But it's much more rare than the media portrays it to be. And if you think about it, the same happens in workplaces, in colleges--you name it. The problem is not the place (a ship, a combat zone, the military, etc)--the problem is our fallen nature.

One little way I personally try to combat the problem, rather, to prevent problems from even occurring, is to be an example to the young women on my ship, as I try to live a life of purity and prudence. Mentoring them, engaging them, bringing them the Gospel--not necessarily through words, but through the choices I make and the life I lead as a woman living for the Lord Jesus Christ. Does my desire for grace and virtue make me less of a warrior? Heck no! But it does make me more of a woman, more feminine, and therefore living out my military vocation, as a female, with more authenticity.

My sailors are professionals. They serve God, country, and shipmate proudly, male and female, and all make incredible sacrifices and serve relentlessly in the most tough, tense, and life-threatening situations. It's an honor to get to serve alongside the finest men AND women in the world.

---

As far as women on subs--it's for SECNAV to decide, and is quite literally beyond my paygrade. There's pros and cons, as with anything. Would I personally request/desire to serve on a sub? Honestly, no. But it has nothing to do with the fact that I am a woman. It's more because I like to watch sunsets and breathe salty air (not that nuclear reactors and purified air systems aren't cool).

If it happens, all it will require is increased mentorship and leadership. Luckily, our military will never run out of that.

St. Mary, Star of the Sea, pray for us!

Edited by Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' date='12 October 2009 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1255390886' post='1984159']

As far as women on subs--it's for SECNAV to decide, and is quite literally beyond my paygrade.
[/quote]
Ugh

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' date='12 October 2009 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1255390886' post='1984159']
I, a female, currently serve aboard the finest warship in the world...
[/quote]

Outstanding.

I stand by my post for reasons you yourself posted [quote]the problem is our fallen nature.[/quote]
[quote]I have seen the best and the worst from both men and women.[/quote]
I look at it from a unit leader's perspective. It will be much more efficient and expedient for me to command a group when I don't have to deal with those extra interpersonal issue.

This doesn't mean that I think the Navy should immediatley remove all female personnel from all vessels(warships or other) and relegate them to support roles or to all female ships. I don't think it's some kind of travesty, I just think it's not an ideal situation.

Justin86 used to be our resident Anchor Clanker. It was made evident in a thread dedicated to his absence he was sent on "vacation", I guess this makes you our new Anchor Clanker.
:D

Edited by Maximilianus

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='notardillacid' date='13 October 2009 - 01:26 AM' timestamp='1255415212' post='1984468']
Ugh
[/quote]

Hahaha...I had say it to to see if anyone would catch it! :topsy:

Ave Maria Totus Tuus

[quote name='Maximilianus' date='13 October 2009 - 01:52 AM' timestamp='1255416731' post='1984475']
Outstanding.

I stand by my post for reasons you yourself posted

I look at it from a unit leader's perspective. It will be much more efficient and expedient for me to command a group when I don't have to deal with those extra interpersonal issue.

This doesn't mean that I think the Navy should immediatley remove all female personnel from all vessels(warships or other) and relegate them to support roles or to all female ships. I don't think it's some kind of travesty, I just think it's not an ideal situation.

Justin86 used to be our resident Anchor Clanker. It was made evident in a thread dedicated to his absence he was sent on "vacation", I guess this makes you our new Anchor Clanker.
:D
[/quote]

Anchor Clanker, I like it. :cool:

I definitely agree with making a unit as efficient as possible, of course. A cohesive unit is an effective unit. As a leader serving in the military (which is virtually a vow of obedience, mind you--great proving grounds for the priesthood and religious life, btw) I understand and accept the fact that I don't make the doctrine. It's just like the fact that I don't have the luxury of choosing which sailors come to my ship, which ones end up in my division; I deal with what I have. I've got some winners and some losers, some hard workers and some who are lazy; the traits go on. But as a leader, I am charged with the task of making it work.

With this issue, it's going to happen one way or the other. And like I said before, if subs are integrated, as are all types of aircraft and warships, the task of promoting cohesiveness lies in the hands of the Chiefs and Officers to step up and BE leaders. Make it work. Lead from the front, set the example, and take advantage of all the qualities which are brought to the table, the unique qualities that men and women posses independently and alike, which can offer a lot to today's military.

Ave Maris Stella!

[quote name='Ave Maria Totus Tuus' date='13 October 2009 - 09:06 PM' timestamp='1255482386' post='1984870']
Anchor Clanker, I like it. :cool:

I definitely agree with making a unit as efficient as possible, of course. A cohesive unit is an effective unit. As a leader serving in the military (which is virtually a vow of obedience, mind you--great proving grounds for the priesthood and religious life, btw) I understand and accept the fact that I don't make the doctrine. It's just like the fact that I don't have the luxury of choosing which sailors come to my ship, which ones end up in my division; I deal with what I have. I've got some winners and some losers, some hard workers and some who are lazy; the traits go on. But as a leader, I am charged with the task of making it work.

With this issue, it's going to happen one way or the other. And like I said before, if subs are integrated, as are all types of aircraft and warships, the task of promoting cohesiveness lies in the hands of the Chiefs and Officers to step up and BE leaders. Make it work. Lead from the front, set the example, and take advantage of all the qualities which are brought to the table, the unique qualities that men and women posses independently and alike, which can offer a lot to today's military.

Ave Maris Stella!
[/quote]

Well, it sounds like your ship is in good hands.

"O Trinity of love and power!
Our brethren shield in danger's hour;
From rock and tempest, fire and foe,
Protect them wheresoe'er they go;
Thus evermore shall rise to Thee
Glad hymns of praise from land and sea"

Semper Fi!
Dominus tecum.

[quote name='StColette' date='08 October 2009 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1255036908' post='1981198']
This comment right here makes me want to ignore anything else this person had to say. So it's only the women who are "slutty" not the men? Sorry but it takes two to have sex! Maybe we should teach men to keep their pants zipped up! Sorry but that comment just ticked me off.

And about the 36 pregnancies, if she read the article that she quoted she would have read that 14 of those women had become pregnant prior to being placed on the ship!
[/quote]

Oh, but didn't you know? Women are s[b][/b]luts. Men are studs.

It's just the way it's always been. :mellow:

Edited by mommas_boy

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='08 October 2009 - 06:23 PM' timestamp='1255040616' post='1981249']
:lol: you're posts are class imo.

I don't agree with mixing men and women on a sub but if they had an all womans sub... Assuming one accepts the appropriateness of women in the military and/or in combat I don't see a problem. Apart from women being bad drivers and excessively emotional (kidding).
[/quote]

Except we have people who would then point to Brown v. Board and claim something like, "But separate is inherently unequal."