An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Women Serve On Navy Subs?

Lil Red

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted but then deleted my vote because it was not the correct one.

I think that women should serve on Navy subs. What is wrong with all women subs?
Co-ed subs are close to disaster because we are all human and how many days on a sub with close quarters will it take till there is a break down?

My recruiter told me one thing that will stick with me, (And no, he wasn't trying to sell me, he knew I was already sold), he finds that women perform jobs BETTER than men in most areas. He said that really the only barrier is the difference in body strength and other physiological differences that cannot be changed.

But, there is also a reason why I don't like the Navy and would never join that branch of the service.

[quote name='StColette' date='08 October 2009 - 05:21 PM' timestamp='1255036908' post='1981198']
This comment right here makes me want to ignore anything else this person had to say. So it's only the women who are "slutty" not the men? Sorry but it takes two to have sex! Maybe we should teach men to keep their pants zipped up! Sorry but that comment just ticked me off.

And about the 36 pregnancies, if she read the article that she quoted she would have read that 14 of those women had become pregnant prior to being placed on the ship!
[/quote]
I AGREE!!!

Women sluttier? ha...she hasn't met me!

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='08 October 2009 - 06:44 PM' timestamp='1255041899' post='1981261']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img] I completely agree. Not that military women are like sorority sisters, necessarily, but ... let's just say that I've often found living with women to be difficult. Much easier to live with guys, although in this situation that brings its own issues.

Dallas is a swell dude; you're right we should have more like him! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smokey.gif[/img]
[/quote]
:lol: yeah...I agree...women together are not exactly good to each other after a while.

When I was in forestry school, we had to break into teams of 3 for summer field exercises. There were 23 guys, and 5 girls. 3 of us decided to make a team. The profs freaked out. They didn't like the idea at all, but eventually gave in. The other two girls each went on a different team of guys. The 3 of us spent the summer carrying equipment, learning to use it, and doing everything ourselves. The other two females spent the summer carrying a clipboard for the guys in their team, and never touched any of the equipment.

I think an all female sub crew would be great.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' date='08 October 2009 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1255056860' post='1981408']

[/quote]
What if they spent too much time together and their cycles all synched? :blink:
The horror!

HisChildForever

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 October 2009 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1255056987' post='1981411']
What if they spent too much time together and their cycles all synched? :blink:The horror!
[/quote]

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' date='08 October 2009 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1255060610' post='1981445']
Funny, I was thinking the same as Nihil.
[/quote]

Can't stand it when men do this.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='08 October 2009 - 11:00 PM' timestamp='1255060858' post='1981448']
[/quote]
[img]http://www.ihasaflavor.com/lolcats/i-sorry.jpg[/img]

Maximilianus

From my experience in the military it would not be a good idea to have women in subs. It's not that women can't perform with he same acumen as men, but putting men and women together will cause all kinds of extra interpersonal problems that will effect the morale and effectiveness of a unit, stuff that is not needed in times of warfighting.

Support units that have mixed units already have to handle the added issues of sexual harrassment, fraternization and all the social politics involved when co-workers get intimately involved. A unit/vessel whose primary task is combat doesn't need that headache.

...plus girls have cooties.

Edited by Maximilianus

eagle_eye222001

Mixing men and women on a sub is asking for trouble. The temptations for both sides and the amount of time typically spent at sea.....seriously....I only see problems coming from this.

The space scenario is a bit different because only a very small number of astronauts are up in space at any point in time and NASA knows what is going on virtually all the time....I mean...wouldn't it be obvious if stuff was going on? There are many more submarine units than space units and therefore the opportunity to get away with stuff would increase so I do not accept the analogy that if it works for astronauts than it will work for sub units.

As for women only subs? I don't know. Definitely not men and women subs though!

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 October 2009 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1255056987' post='1981411']
What if they spent too much time together and their cycles all synched? :blink:
The horror!
[/quote]

They would definitely be a force you wouldn't want to mess with. The enemy would run for their lives.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='09 October 2009 - 01:00 AM' timestamp='1255060858' post='1981448']
[/quote]

But it happens! I have been a part of it! It isn't pretty! :saint:

[quote name='CatherineM' date='08 October 2009 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1255056860' post='1981408']
When I was in forestry school, we had to break into teams of 3 for summer field exercises. There were 23 guys, and 5 girls. 3 of us decided to make a team. The profs freaked out. They didn't like the idea at all, but eventually gave in. The other two girls each went on a different team of guys. The 3 of us spent the summer carrying equipment, learning to use it, and doing everything ourselves. The other two females spent the summer carrying a clipboard for the guys in their team, and never touched any of the equipment.

[/quote]
I agree that working with women is on the whole a great experience. I would not hesitate to work on a team of all women. It's the living AND working with them, for weeks at a time, in a small enclosed space, that would be hellish. There is a difference.

[quote name='Maximilianus' date='08 October 2009 - 11:28 PM' timestamp='1255062516' post='1981496']
From my experience in the military it would not be a good idea to have women in subs. It's not that women can't perform with he same acumen as men, but putting men and women together will cause all kinds of extra interpersonal problems that will effect the morale and effectiveness of a unit, stuff that is not needed in times of warfighting.

Support units that have mixed units already have to handle the added issues of sexual harrassment, fraternization and all the social politics involved when co-workers get intimately involved. A unit/vessel whose primary task is combat doesn't need that headache.

...plus girls have cooties.
[/quote]

This reminded me of the discussion my dad and I had about women in combat. He said he knew women could do just as good a job as men, but he felt the mission itself would suffer because when there are women present, men will instinctively want to protect them. If a guy's mind is on protecting a woman in his unit instead of on his job, that puts everyone at risk. That would obviously be worse in an infantry platoon than it would be in a fighter pilot scenario. Women have been serving on naval ships for quite awhile. Combat ships not as long, but long enough. At least on a sub, there would be fewer places for indiscretions to happen than on a large air craft carrier. The bottom line on this decision may simply have to do with numbers.

Marie-Therese

My father was a Navy submariner during the Cold War. I grew up around sub guys and on the crafts themselves and know the climate and the type of life that it requires...and under no circumstances would I ever advocate a mixed gender crew. If they want to have female submariners, they should have their own craft, but I'm not even sure that is necessarily a great idea.

It is very easy for people to make the argument that genders are equal and therefore should do the same jobs. I just don't agree with that. As Fr. Corapi likes to say, the sexes are equal in dignity, but they are not the same. Equality and sameness are different things. Knowing what I know about the life of a submariner, I personally don't think that it is a job well-suited for a woman, IMHO.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Marie-Therese' date='10 October 2009 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1255195945' post='1982422']
My father was a Navy submariner during the Cold War. I grew up around sub guys and on the crafts themselves and know the climate and the type of life that it requires...and under no circumstances would I ever advocate a mixed gender crew. If they want to have female submariners, they should have their own craft, but I'm not even sure that is necessarily a great idea.

It is very easy for people to make the argument that genders are equal and therefore should do the same jobs. I just don't agree with that. As Fr. Corapi likes to say, the sexes are equal in dignity, but they are not the same. Equality and sameness are different things. Knowing what I know about the life of a submariner, I personally don't think that it is a job well-suited for a woman, IMHO.
[/quote]
+1