An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is It Overall In A Nation's Interest To Recognize Gay Marriage?

eagle_eye222001

eagle_eye222001

Is it overall in a nation's interest to recognize gay marriage? Or polygamy for that matter? Why?

Couple ground rules. [size="6"][b]No religious arguments.[/b][/size]

Basically does a nation in self interest, do more good in recognizing gay marriage or polygamy, or do they do themselves more harm?

How does gay marriage or polygamy benefit a nation? How do they detract?

Being children are best served by having one mother and one father, a society is better served where children are
raised in that better environment.

Society benefits proportionately, to how well children are raised.

Jim

Nihil Obstat

Does anyone know a good place to look for statistics regarding rates of HIV/AIDS infection before and after legalization of homosexual unions in countries that have done so? That would be an interesting graph to look at.

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='08 October 2009 - 04:19 PM' timestamp='1255033181' post='1981118']
Being children are best served by having one mother and one father, a society is better served where children are
raised in that better environment.

Society benefits proportionately, to how well children are raised.

Jim
[/quote]Yes, but very few gay couples choose to adopt.

On the other hand, I think polygamy shouldn't be allowed.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 October 2009 - 04:25 PM' timestamp='1255033512' post='1981127']
Does anyone know a good place to look for statistics regarding rates of HIV/AIDS infection before and after legalization of homosexual unions in countries that have done so? That would be an interesting graph to look at.
[/quote]I doubt there'd be any difference, if anything the HIV/AIDS numbers would go down.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Varg' date='08 October 2009 - 03:27 PM' timestamp='1255033635' post='1981132']
I doubt there'd be any difference, if anything the HIV/AIDS numbers would go down.
[/quote]
Well we can't know that until we see some charts.
We'd need data for countries at all levels of development too, to get an accurate picture.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='08 October 2009 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1255033676' post='1981134']
Well we can't know that until we see some charts.
We'd need data for countries at all levels of development too, to get an accurate picture.
[/quote]I'm just saying, if gay marriage was allowed then the couples would stick with each other for longer, reducing the amount of partners they have and hence reducing the spread of AIDS. Makes sense, kyllä?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Varg' date='08 October 2009 - 03:31 PM' timestamp='1255033873' post='1981140']
I'm just saying, if gay marriage was allowed then the couples would stick with each other for longer, reducing the amount of partners they have and hence reducing the spread of AIDS. Makes sense, kyllä?
[/quote]
Maybe, maybe not. Like I said, I'd need to see the statistics for a variety of different countries before I'd feel informed enough even to speculate.

I know that in Alberta most new cases of HIV (70-80%) are IV drug users not homosexuals. Gay marriage is legal here, if you can find someone to do the service.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Varg' date='08 October 2009 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1255033531' post='1981129']
Yes, but very few gay couples choose to adopt.

On the other hand, I think polygamy shouldn't be allowed.
[/quote]
Do you have stats on gay adoption?

[quote name='Varg' date='08 October 2009 - 04:31 PM' timestamp='1255033873' post='1981140']
I'm just saying, if gay marriage was allowed then the couples would stick with each other for longer
[/quote]

Do we know this for sure? Do we have statistics from countries that allow gay marriage and show what the divorce rate is among them? I'm willing to bet it's similar to the divorce rate of heterosexual couples.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='08 October 2009 - 05:39 PM' timestamp='1255037952' post='1981209']
Do you have stats on gay adoption?
[/quote]

I'd be interested to see those stats as well.

From an economic standpoint, polygamy would prove beneficial to the country and homosexual marriage disadvantageous. The more population growth, the higher the economy.

[quote name='Varg' date='08 October 2009 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1255033635' post='1981132']
I doubt there'd be any difference, if anything the HIV/AIDS numbers would go down.
[/quote]
I bet you think that condoms prevent the spread of AIDS in Africa too :whistle:

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='notardillacid' date='08 October 2009 - 06:17 PM' timestamp='1255043832' post='1981281']
I bet you think that condoms prevent the spread of AIDS in Africa too :whistle:
[/quote]
And I bet you think only gay people get AIDS. :rolleyes:

[quote name='StColette' date='08 October 2009 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1255038325' post='1981212']
Do we know this for sure? Do we have statistics from countries that allow gay marriage and show what the divorce rate is among them? I'm willing to bet it's similar to the divorce rate of heterosexual couples.
[/quote]
Ok, I'm too lazy and time-strapped to look up the stats right now (though others are welcome to take up the challenge), though I recall reading repeatedly that "gay marriages" in the U.S. have a divorce rate much [i]higher[/i] than among the "heterosexual" married population.

"Gay marriage" is a politically-motivated farce which benefits only the divorce lawyers.

Edited by Socrates