An Old School Catholic Message Board

War!

Aloysius

I do in general agree with the posters here... but I was more aimed at the idea of using non-lethal weapons when possible; obviously, as I already said, non-lethal weapons aren't possible to deal with tanks and missiles and such things... but when it comes down to armies against armies on a battlefield, it would pose an interesting idea to advance non-lethal technologies to the point of being as effective and as immediate as the current lethal ones. I'm not talking about two sides both agreeing to use "only" non-lethal means, I'm talking about one side deciding to prefer non-lethal means and mostly using them, even as the other side employs lethal means. unmanned UAVs being first waves to knock people out with knockout gas and tranquilizers before a strike which involved lethal means would be one idea... though gas masks would be the effective way to counter that, it would be very difficult and costly for an enemy to get all of their soldiers masked.

if non-lethal weapons could be used, I don't think the ruthless would use them... they'd likely continue to stick with conventional lethal weapons... if the non-lethal weapons could be developed to be as effective as lethal weapons, what motivation would any ruthless person have to use the non-lethal weapon? if non-lethal weapons were more effective than lethal weapons, then they'd try to get a hold of them; but I'm envisioning that one army advanced non-lethal technology to be as effective as lethal technology and attempted to primarily use it in its wars.. the only real motivation for doing that would be to attempt to preserve life. there is no government or military in the world now that would be thusly motivated, sadly IMO.

I suppose it is correct to say the technology doesn't exist that would be effective in a war situation (though in things like dealing with civilian populations and peacekeeping and such, it would be); we'd need straight up powerful phasers that can be put on stun settings. but it's interesting to dream of the option; and the point of the matter is that there exists no army on earth with the willingness to try to produce such technologies... as L_D said, the military culture prefers the lethal option over the non-lethal option. it's a what-if, and in the what-if I'm proposing throwing the funding into the research of non-lethal options and then choosing to have the priority to use them first even if it's more difficult and maybe even more risky to our own security.

dude, lol... get a paypal account or something. it's hard to get to the post office. hmm... but thanks for reminding me, I'll do it tomorrow. prolly. if I can find my checkbook.

paypal would be easier.

[quote name='Aloysius' date='06 October 2009 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1254802158' post='1978892']
I'll do it tomorrow. prolly.
[/quote]
Yeah well I'm moving out come December 2010, so you should hit that post office at some point before that :ohno: