An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pagans

pat22

pagan seems to be a very general term. do pagans worships certian god or have moral codes they have to follow? can an athiest be a pagan?
just looking for some clarification. thanks

Pagan was the term made by Christians to describe those who continued to worship false gods after the Catholic had spread through the empire.

An atheist would be pagan if he performed rituals to Minerva and Apollo.

[quote name='pat22' date='20 September 2009 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1253466508' post='1969676']
so its really anyone who worships OLD gods
[/quote]

It basically refers to any polytheist.

Depends. Some worshipped Deities in the Celtic pantheon, like Danu, Cerrnunos, Brigid, Lugh...etc etc...they recognized the spirit of the Divine in nature, not nature itself. Pantheism.

Christopher Brandon

[quote name='pat22' date='20 September 2009 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1253465878' post='1969665']
pagan seems to be a very general term. do pagans worships certian god or have moral codes they have to follow? can an athiest be a pagan?
just looking for some clarification. thanks
[/quote]
No, Paganism is not nessisarily organized. like, Wicca is organized because to be a true Wiccan you must be apart of a coven. Solitary practitioners can be solitary witches but if they arn't of a coven they arn't truely Wiccan, and Wicca falls under Paganism but not all Pagans are apart of Wicca or any other organized religion and they worship the diety or dieties that call out to them based on their own religious experiances.

for example, I have been pagan for the past 4 years but only two years ago did my God call out to me and make it VERY clear it was Him I was to follow. that God just happen to be Yahweh. My mother hung up pictures of several saints above my wall after I was attacked by an astrial vampire, one night as I was climbing into bed I noticed these saints moving within their icons, I turned on a light and leaned in to be sure, and sure enough they didn't stop moving. it was like the pictures from Harry Potter, it was truely humbling.

but other entities call out to searching Pagans. and these entities such as zues, aries, odin, thor, ra, osirus, ect. DO exist. but notice I did not capitalize their names, because though they exist, they are NOT Gods lol. there is only one of those ;)

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='20 September 2009 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1253466099' post='1969668']
Pagan was the term made by Christians to describe those who continued to worship false gods after the Catholic had spread through the empire.

An atheist would be pagan if he performed rituals to Minerva and Apollo.
[/quote]
if an Athiest believed in Minerva and Apollo they would not be Atheist.

[quote name='pat22' date='20 September 2009 - 01:08 PM' timestamp='1253466508' post='1969676']
so its really anyone who worships OLD gods
[/quote]
no, a Pagan can see an entity in a vision and start worshiping it, could be something no one has ever heard of, they could even make it up. wouldn't be right, but it would be Pagan.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='20 September 2009 - 01:13 PM' timestamp='1253466826' post='1969682']
It basically refers to any polytheist.
[/quote]
Pagans can be monotheistic. example, me.

In simply because Rexi hasn't used the Latin and I must beat him to it. The term was originally paganus, meaning of the countryside (or depending on the period during the Roman Empire, it might even just simply be a term for civilian). As things continued on, some felt the term was to denigrate those who continued to cling to their old beliefs in the rural areas,as Rexi said.

[quote name='Christopher Brandon' date='20 September 2009 - 09:02 PM' timestamp='1253498568' post='1970089']
if an Athiest believed in Minerva and Apollo they would not be Atheist.
[/quote]

One does not necessarily have to believe in Minerva or Apollo to offer a sacrifice to them.

Christopher Brandon

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='20 September 2009 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1253504158' post='1970161']
One does not necessarily have to believe in Minerva or Apollo to offer a sacrifice to them.
[/quote]
so an Athiest would offer a sacrifice up to nothing? wouldn't that make them Agnostic?

HisChildForever

[quote name='Christopher Brandon' date='20 September 2009 - 10:02 PM' timestamp='1253498568' post='1970089']
for example, I have been pagan for the past 4 years but only two years ago did my God call out to me and make it VERY clear it was Him I was to follow. that God just happen to be Yahweh. My mother hung up pictures of several saints above my wall after I was attacked by an astrial vampire, [b]one night as I was climbing into bed I noticed these saints moving within their icons, I turned on a light and leaned in to be sure, and sure enough they didn't stop moving.[/b] it was like the pictures from Harry Potter, it was truely humbling.
[/quote]

You sure it wasn't an earthquake?

Christopher Brandon

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='20 September 2009 - 11:46 PM' timestamp='1253504769' post='1970173']
You sure it wasn't an earthquake?
[/quote]

I think I would have noticed the frames moving, my fan shaking and all the junk falling off my messy dresser in the case of an earthquake. I know what I saw, I know why I saw it and I have absolutely no doubts about it. thats how I know it was real.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Christopher Brandon' date='20 September 2009 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1253505418' post='1970184']
I think I would have noticed the frames moving, my fan shaking and all the junk falling off my messy dresser in the case of an earthquake. I know what I saw, I know why I saw it and I have absolutely no doubts about it. thats how I know it was real.
[/quote]

Then maybe it was the vampire back for another go.

Christopher Brandon

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='21 September 2009 - 12:02 AM' timestamp='1253505721' post='1970188']
Then maybe it was the vampire back for another go.
[/quote]

Astrial Vampires attack by draining the energy out of your astrial body (spirit, soul, w/e) as you sleep, leaving you to wake up in a state of temporary paralisis due to absolute fear of nothing. you know your terrified you just don't know why. Astrial vampires have been seen, they're usualy shapeless purple clouds hovering above their victim, and the symptoms never include halucination.

again, I have no doubts.