An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Soul: Does It Exist?

Secuutus

I believe we have soul, but in philosophy class today we got into a heated debate about it. So I was wandering what all of your views are on it. thanks!

Christopher Brandon

Of course we have souls. This body is just a shell, or as some would refer to it, a temple, either way we live on without it.
I'll put it how Obe-wan put it: "Strike me down now and I shall become more powerful then you could ever imagine." [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]

Fidei Defensor

Personally, I don't believe so. I believe we are the product of our anatomy and physiology and that once that has broken down, we cease to exist as a person and our bodies decay.

eagle_eye222001

If Roman Catholicism is what it claims to be, we have a soul. If not, then I don't think we do, and pretty much all this religious stuff is stuff we made up or were inspired to make up.

So for me it comes down to whether religion is true. I wouldn't know how to argue this from a secular viewpoint. :unsure:

Can you share with us basically how both sides were arguing it?

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='18 September 2009 - 11:51 PM' timestamp='1253335876' post='1969044']
If Roman Catholicism is what it claims to be, we have a soul. If not, then I don't think we do, and pretty much all this religious stuff is stuff we made up or were inspired to make up.

So for me it comes down to whether religion is true. I wouldn't know how to argue this from a secular viewpoint. :unsure:

Can you share with us basically how both sides were arguing it?
[/quote]
I would guess that it was argued from a consciousness and free will perspective. That's crazy tricky in philosophy, as I'm sure you know. :P

[quote name='Secuutus' date='18 September 2009 - 06:42 PM' timestamp='1253313773' post='1968869']
I believe we have soul, but in philosophy class today we got into a heated debate about it. So I was wandering what all of your views are on it. thanks!
[/quote]

If you mean an immortal soul, an immaterial, unitary substance existing in a dualistic relationship with the body, then no.

have you had a near death experience catherine? it seems like i remember you sayin you did, once. i've always associated that phenomenon with you, anyway, for some reason.
do you have it posted somewhere, the experience? do you have key word suggestions if it's in the archives?

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='nunsense' date='19 September 2009 - 03:39 PM' timestamp='1253335173' post='1969037']
If we don't, then it is a pretty meaningless existence.

[/quote]

I agree! Self awareness is indicative of more than memory, sensory and processing power. I can give all these things to a machine but I cannot give it self awareness. Only God can do that! BTW during a biofeedback relaxation experiment I achieved an out of body experience. I remained linked to my body but I imagine this link would cease upon the death of my mortal body.

[quote name='nunsense' date='19 September 2009 - 12:39 AM' timestamp='1253335173' post='1969037']
If we don't, then it is a pretty meaningless existence.
[/quote]

Why?

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Hassan' date='19 September 2009 - 05:55 PM' timestamp='1253343306' post='1969080']
Why?
[/quote]

Ask people in third world countries! A select few people have enjoyable lives and would no doubt say that it is meaningful from an enjoyable point of view. The vast majority of people however struggle through life, have children who they love who struggle through life and then die. If we are sick or have some adversity we don't enjoy our life. If we are well and don't have adversity we worry about becoming sick and having adversity and don't enjoy life. Most people seem to be always trying to get somewhere. We are born, try to achieve education. When we have that we try to get a good job and get to the top. We try to save and buy our own home. We try to save for our retirement. We try to stay well so we can enjoy retirement. Then we die!

People were arguing with the fact that emotions and feelings can explained in the human mind. How if were to have a c-scan when were epierecing something u can see the multiple brain waves activating, thus making u "feel" that way, then when the experience is gone no mare brain waves.

You could approach it epistemologically. How is it we come to know, and what is it that we come to know?

This capacity to obtain knowledge is called abstraction. In this way, the human person can grasp that which is incorporeal and can do so distinct from physical experiences. These incorporeal realities are known and related as universals (e.g. Goodness: love, pleasure, beauty, truth...all of this is related to good and can be seen in these things; which consequently can be related to other things as well).

The capacity to come to know that which is good or true or beautiful is unending. I have yet to meet a person of advanced age discover that their ability to obtain new information is impossible. Likewise, no amount of human beings can use up these concepts. No one can use up all of the "justice" or run out of the notion of "good".

So, an infinite capacity (abstraction) to know that which is infinite in nature (concepts) indicates a faculty of infinite vitality. As abstraction and concepts are distinct from the body itself, the body need not exist for its existence to be sustained.