An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Difference Between Pagan And Christian.

Guest russell f. custureri

[quote name='Christopher Brandon' date='19 September 2009 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1253389263' post='1969282']
well, I wouldn't say this is a fair generalization but it's true that some Pagans are in it for all the wrong reasons. But isn't that true of all religions Dairy?
[/quote]

sure many are in it for all the wrong reasons. but my points have to do with pretty much why anyone would be pagan.
there's a difference between a lifestyle and a religion in the truest sense. my understanding of paganism, or at least the types im aware of, is that it's more like a lifestyle. with something like chrisitanity, believing in Jesus is a very specific thing, and you have to be a "christian" if you believe in Jesus, it's not just a label, it's not just a lifestyle.
im sure there's some forms of paganism that say 'we worship a rock' or soemthing random, that is surely a religion. but if it's just a lifestyle, then no i think there's a big difference.
eg, most pagans have a rebel attitude 'i am somewhat promiscuous, i believe in 'an eye for an eye' etc- this seems natural to the world and me, and yet im the outcast for it?'. just believe what ya do, you dont need the label. i suppose if the person starts believing things of paganism, beleifs, only because they are pagan, then sure, maybe it begins to be like a religion. but why would anyone do anything just cause their religion told them to, if it's not more like an infallible religion? if it's more just a causual acceptance of the belief, and not an ardent 'this is the way it is' type belief, im not sure that's much of a religion either, even if you're taking certai things from them.

either way, though, as i said in my last post, if you want to call yourself pagan, just cause it seems to fit you generally, their beliefs, then sure, whatever, yknow. as i said, i just dont know why ya would.
maybe what im getting at, to return question for a question... 'aren't many in many religions for the wrong reasons?" sure. tocause maybe it's best to make my point in terms of a question, 'what are the *right* reasons to be a pagan?' (i dont mean the question in terms of asking bout their validity or substantively... i mean, in a general discussion sense, the right reasons to be called anything that may or may not be a religion, or here what seems to be a pseudoreligion said in terms of 'religion' being defined more narrowly -- (eg, the 'right' reasons to be a christian, whether you agree with them or not, or a muslim even, is cause you believe something specific that they teach etc... for pagans, it seems more like a label, simply a way of self identification than anything concrete)

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Okay, okay, you're being nice so I'll change my tone. The fact is, modern paganism is not really paganism. For the most part, the lead pagans seem to be lunatics and semi-literates. They've adopted common morality and some judeo-christian morality.

It's not really paganism.

Edited by Winchester

[quote name='Winchester' date='20 September 2009 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1253496117' post='1970043']
the guy I know who worships Odin.
[/quote]

I thought I was the only one.

Actually, this messes up my Noah status. :annoyed: