An Old School Catholic Message Board

Divine Birth

Selah

I have a question.

Jesus was conceived without sin right?

And Mary was conceived without sin because she was to bear God, and God cannot inhabit anything sinful, correct?

Well, if that is the case, and that which is sinless cannot inhabit the sinful, why was Mary born to sinful parents? How could she be conceived without sin if her parents themselves were sinners?

Am I making sense? I'll elaborate if I'm not.

Blessings!

Selah

[quote name='Selah' date='17 September 2009 - 03:39 PM' timestamp='1253219968' post='1968199']
I have a question.

And Mary was conceived without sin because she was to bear God, and God cannot inhabit anything sinful, correct?

Well, if that is the case, and that which is sinless cannot inhabit the sinful, why was Mary born to sinful parents? How could she be conceived without sin if her parents themselves were sinners?

Blessings!

Selah
[/quote]

I don't think your logic is quite right.

You say "God cannot inhabit anything sinful" then your next line is "that which is sinless cannot inhabit the sinful" - these are describing two different ideas.

Since Mary is not God, there is no reason why she cannot inhabit the sinful while at the same time being preserved from the stain of sin.

Edited by rkwright

[quote name='Selah' date='17 September 2009 - 04:39 PM' timestamp='1253219968' post='1968199']
I have a question.

Blessings!

Selah
[/quote]

We must keep in mind, in the dogma of the Immaculate Conception, that this very issue is explained quite clear. We must keep in mind that Christ's sinlessness was not dependent upon that of Mary's sinlessness. Mary was saved from sin at the very moment of her conception because it was fitting that she be saved in this manner. Think about the Ark of the Covenant. It held the manna from Heaven and the Ten Commandments, because of the contents that it held, it was made from incorruptible wood. This vessel was incorruptible and sanctified. Mary is considered the Ark of the New Covenant. It is only fitting that she who bore the True Bread from Heaven, the Word of God, etc. would be made incorruptible. So again, Christ's sinlessness is not dependent upon Mary's sinlessness. He is the Logos, Second Person of the Triune Godhead. He is sinless regardless. It's out of God's ultimate love and grace that He saw it was fitting for the one who would bear His Son would be saved from corruption.

[quote name='CorMaria' date='17 September 2009 - 11:46 PM' timestamp='1253245591' post='1968429']
Kind of like getting baptised before coming into the world.
[/quote]

Sorta like that. At the very moment that she was conceived God saved her, because He saw how fitting it was. That's why Mary proclaims in the Gospel of Luke, "my soul rejoices in God my Savior."

Mark of the Cross

I do not bear the sins of my parents. Their sins do not taint me in fact they purify me because I have survived without following their indiscretions. I have only my own faults to answer for.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='18 September 2009 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1253309571' post='1968824']
I do not bear the sins of my parents. Their sins do not taint me in fact they purify me because I have survived without following their indiscretions. I have only my own faults to answer for.
[/quote]

No, but you do "bear" the sins of Adam.