An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Rules & Rcia Instructors

Mark of the Cross

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='14 September 2009 - 09:48 AM' timestamp='1252882092' post='1965919']
becauseof the unOrthodox views you hold. I would, however, be weary of one whoholds opinions in direct opposition to infallible Church teaching beingan RCIA instructor.
[/quote]
I was raised as an Anglican. By the calling of God, I became a Catholic through the RCIA process. It took two years because I was confused about some of the rules that were imposed. I was not allowed to receive communion even though I had fully participated in the rite as an Anglican. It almost deterred me from becoming a Catholic. I saw it as a denial or restriction of Jesus love for me. However I finally accepted the rule because of the first station of the cross. ...although Pilate is unjust he is the lawful governor and has power over me and so the son of God obeys... I was told I had to have a sponsor (btw not of my choosing) and had to adopt the name of a saint. This I flatly refused. The holy Spirit called me to the Church and was and is always my sponsor. My mother named me after a saint 'Mark' no doubt by the will of God. I considered it would be an affront to God and my mother to obey this rule. Now as an RCIA team member I have nothing to do with bringing people to the Catholic Church. God calls these people, we walk with them and give them support and welcome. Others have expressed their frustration at not being able to receive communion. I give them my support, which I think more important than supporting a rule even if it is correct and valid. The church has provided hand outs which are given to the catechumens and candidates. A selected team member will address how this relates to them and this often is not in line with Church processes. For example a team member recently proposed that our shortage of Priests may be addressed if we were to accept married Priests which would overcome the difficulties of loneliness that many of our Priests experience. (This is an example, I do not express an opinion on this due to lack of knowledge)
BTW USAirwaysIHS and Nihil Obstat I hold the utmost admiration for your devotion and trust in the Church process.

Dear Mark,

Mark would have been a fine saint name to choose. There is no requirement to pick a different name according to canon law, your birth/baptismal name is fine.

The Latin rite of the Church restricts the priesthood to celibate males. Other rites only restrict the bishopric to celibate males. However, a change in this discipline will not solve the shortage of priests in the US and to suggest otherwise is ignorant. There are many good texts in which faithful theologians have already addressed the issue.

An RCIA team members job is that of an evangelist and catechist and is not called to teach candidates and catechumens their own opinions but to teach Jesus Christ, the person He was and the teachings he handed onto us (catechesi tradendae, 5). Jesus himself warns that to do otherwise it would be better for that person to tie a milstone around their neck and be thrown into the sea.

In its mercy and love the Church restricts the reception of communion to those who have been baptized, are not in serious sin, and are full members of the Church. This is not unjust but loving out of concern for their souls and the Church always follows in the instructions of its Lord & master, Jesus. This has been its tradition since the very beginning of the Church.

The priest shortage in Western countries is not caused by celibacy. Even Churches that ordain married men are suffering from a shortage of priests.

It is the cultural decadence that prevails in Western countries that is main cause of the problems afflicting the Church.

Edited by Apotheoun

I have taught in RCIA for over 20 years. There are two things that I disagree with the church on, neither of which are infallible teachings, but my students couldn't tell you what they are. That's because when I am acting in the role of catechist, I don't have the right to veer from the truth. Catechists who do so should be removed. The problem often isn't that the catechist is trying to actively be disobedient, the problem is usually that they aren't sufficiently trained to know the difference.

Mark,
Brother Adam is completely right in his assessment. I would give him a +1 if I had any left.

I also went through RCIA and I remember how hard it was not to commune. There were days it was excruciating, but there was also grace in following the path laid out for me. I hope you found that to be true as well.

I did not have the same problems you did with having a sponsor, or with choosing a saint's name. Both were reminders to me that we are not in this alone, but as part of a community. My sponsor was a close friend of mine (she was in my wedding) and she is a reminder to me that I am part of the Church Militant. Together, we all struggle against sin and strive to be holy. I drew comfort and encouragement from her support. I chose St. Joan of Arc as my saint, and she is a reminder that those who have gone before us are no less a part of the body of Christ than I am. I think these are beautiful gifts to be able to give catechumens.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='17 September 2009 - 11:30 AM' timestamp='1253147436' post='1967849']
Mark,

I also went through RCIA and I remember how hard it was not to commune. There were days it was excruciating, but there was also grace in following the path laid out for me. I hope you found that to be true as well.
[/quote]
You are quite right! I certainly did. I have a most wonderful and fulfilling relationship with Jesus and the Church. I now wonder how I could have ever been hesitant. I quite happily sweep the floors of my fathers house and feel his loving presence just as strongly as when I do something relatively awesome like going to a third world country to show Jesus love in my person.
[quote name='Terra Firma' date='17 September 2009 - 11:30 AM' timestamp='1253147436' post='1967849']
chose St. Joan of Arc as my saint, and she is a reminder that those who have gone before us are no less a part of the body of Christ than I am. I think these are beautiful gifts to be able to give catechumens.
[/quote]
I prefer to proudly wear the name that was given to me by God. I tell people I'm Saint Mark minus the Saint. they usually respond that I am working on that and they are correct. God calls each one of us to be a Saint.

perfectunion33

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='16 September 2009 - 08:44 PM' timestamp='1253155471' post='1967897']
You are quite right! I certainly did. I have a most wonderful and fulfilling relationship with Jesus and the Church. I now wonder how I could have ever been hesitant. I quite happily sweep the floors of my fathers house and feel his loving presence just as strongly as when I do something relatively awesome like going to a third world country to show Jesus love in my person.

I prefer to proudly wear the name that was given to me by God. I tell people I'm Saint Mark minus the Saint. they usually respond that I am working on that and they are correct. God calls each one of us to be a Saint.
[/quote]

Here's a point for obedience.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='16 September 2009 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1253143694' post='1967813']
I give them my support, which I think more important than supporting a rule even if it is correct and valid. [/quote]
Support in what form?

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Winchester' date='18 September 2009 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1253240919' post='1968382']
Support in what form?
[/quote]
I've had people and Priests snub me or otherwise treat me in an un-Christian manner and it's even happened within the Church walls. The doors of the Church are no barrier to Satan. These facts do not even make me slightly waver in my faith because of the love that I feel coming from the presence of Jesus. However it does no harm to give a kind smile and a pleasant hello to a stranger or enquirer. Some people are shy and feel intimidated standing before the congregation. Having familiar faces stand with them is helpful. At meetings we chat and try to answer any queries as best we can. One young lass wants to move some processes forward before her marriage takes place. We try to be flexible and work with the priests to accommodate such requests. This is what is generally referred to as support.
With reference to not being able to take communion. I tell them how it also bothered me and why via the first station of the cross that I obeyed. This generally reduces the feeling of alienation knowing that others who have gone through the process have felt the same way.

Edited by Mark of the Cross

Sounds fine. A bit friendly for Catholicism, but okay. We're already shaking hands, so I guess the cat's out of the bag. The only thing saving Catholicism right now is the destruction derby that takes place in the parking lot after mass.