An Old School Catholic Message Board

Kneeling In The Roman Rite.

CorMaria

I have a few friends in the USA who are doing their novitiate for a certain religious order this year. One of them told me that they were told not to kneel during the Mass, but to bow profoundly. Is there anything within the G.I.R.M and canon law that allows this? or is it some kind of 'innovation?' Because all I know is that we don't do it here, unless you can't kneel due to some health reason.

"In the dioceses of the United States of America, they [the faithful] should kneel beginning after the singing or recitation of the Sanctus until after the Amen of the Eucharistic Prayer, except when prevented on occasion by reasons of health, lack of space, the large number of people present, or some other good reason. Those who do not kneel ought to make a profound bow when the priest genuflects after the consecration. The faithful kneel after the Agnus Dei unless the Diocesan Bishop determines otherwise." (General Instruction of the Roman Missal: Including Adaptations for the Dioceses of the United States of America, no. 43)

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='CorMaria' date='15 September 2009 - 06:26 PM' timestamp='1253060766' post='1967226']
I have a few friends in the USA who are doing their novitiate for a certain religious order this year. One of them told me that they were told not to kneel during the Mass, but to bow profoundly. Is there anything within the G.I.R.M and canon law that allows this? or is it some kind of 'innovation?' Because all I know is that we don't do it here, unless you can't kneel due to some health reason.
[/quote]
Some Religious Orders have long standing customs that may allow for differences in ritual practice. Nevertheless, generally speaking the G.I.R.M determines what one should do -- within certain limits -- during the Roman Mass.