An Old School Catholic Message Board

Version Of The Bible

rkwright

[quote name='rkwright' date='14 September 2009 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1252968683' post='1966523']
Well I guess 2 questions...

1) How good/accurate of a translation is it into English[/quote]

I'm no expert in biblical translations, but I have heard that the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition is among the most accurate English translations. It also reads well, at least in my opinion.

[quote name='rkwright' date='14 September 2009 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1252968683' post='1966523']
2) How reliable is the original manuscripts it uses. I'm just getting into this a little bit, but as I understand it there are many manuscripts that different Bibles rely on for their translation. Say for example, I have a New American Bible, but as I understand it, it did not pull the NT from Jerome's translation. Is St. Jerome's translations as we have them in the Vulgate today one of the better translations?
[/quote]

I would say that St. Jerome had many manuscripts that we don't, but that we also have many manuscripts that he didn't.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='14 September 2009 - 05:52 PM' timestamp='1252968730' post='1966525']
We use the NAB for my New Testament class. I think that its wording is incredibly awkward and unpoetical.
[/quote]
Yeah, but it's what I was raised on, so it feels comfortable. Kind of like watching old Underdog cartoons.

txdinghysailor

I think that the Douay Rheims is the most accurate, but it sure isn't the easiest one to read or understand. I think the RSV is probably the most readable and easy to understand version out there that's still mostly accurate.

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='14 September 2009 - 04:04 PM' timestamp='1252965878' post='1966475']
how was the RSV translated Apo?
[/quote]
The RSV has a couple of advantages over more recent translations: (1) although not a perfect translation, it does tend to give a more literal rendering of the Biblical text in English, because it follows the translation method that is often called "formal equivalence"; and (2) it was translated prior to the rise of the "inclusive language" movement in English speaking countries, which means that it uses a standard form of English.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='14 September 2009 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1252969038' post='1966527']
I'm no expert in biblical translations, but I have heard that the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition is among the most accurate English translations. It also reads well, at least in my opinion.
[/quote]
Yes, that's what I'd heard.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='15 September 2009 - 08:03 AM' timestamp='1252998207' post='1966709']
The RSV has a couple of advantages over more recent translations: (1) although not a perfect translation, it does tend to give a more literal rendering of the Biblical text in English, because it follows the translation method that is often called "formal equivalence"; and (2) it was translated prior to the rise of the "inclusive language" movement in English speaking countries, which means that it uses a standard form of English.
[/quote]
Thanks, Apo - that's what I'd thought. I like the RSV. I also like the Jerusalem Bible, just because of how it sounds.

[quote name='Gregorius' date='14 September 2009 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1252961994' post='1966430']
Wasn't there already a thread on this topic?
[/quote]

That could be said for just about everything talked about anymore.

I read the RSV-CE or RSV when looking up verses online (since I've never seen the Catholic Edition available online).

Edited by LouisvilleFan

Archaeology cat

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='15 September 2009 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1253017331' post='1966744']
I read the RSV-CE or RSV when looking up verses online (since I've never seen the Catholic Edition available online).
[/quote]
I haven't come across the RSV-CE online, but have found the NRSV at www.unboundbible.org with the deuteros.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='15 September 2009 - 09:28 AM' timestamp='1253017699' post='1966745']
I haven't come across the RSV-CE online, but have found the NRSV at www.unboundbible.org with the deuteros.
[/quote]

I'm not such a big fan of the NRSV, or what I've read of it anyway. Sometimes RSV reads a little clunky, but overall I like the older verbiage. Studylight.org has the RSV, NRSV, Douay-Rheims, and Latin Vulgate. You don't see that every day :)

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='15 September 2009 - 07:22 AM' timestamp='1253017331' post='1966744']
[/quote]

[url="http://jmom.honlam.org/rsvce/"]Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition[/url]

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='15 September 2009 - 09:57 AM' timestamp='1252969038' post='1966527']
I'm no expert in biblical translations, but I have heard that the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition is among the [b][u]most [/u][u]accurate English[/u][/b] translations. It also reads well, at least in my opinion.

[/quote]
If the Catholic Church is 100% accurate in it's rules/teaching then all Bibles accepted by the Church should be 100% accurate and lucid!

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

The church never has said that any of the english translations are perfect....They give the imprimatur, which means it is free from any doctrinal error. But every translation of the Bible isnt going to be perfect unless you are reading it straight from the original language. But never has the Church had a teaching about how a certain translation is 100% accurate and lucid.

P.S. By the way the Catholic Church claims that the Pope is infallible, only when teaching on Faith(like Jesus is true man and true God) and Morals(abortion is intrinsically evil). We do not teach that everything the Pope says or does is infallible. :lol_roll: or without error :blink: that is just plain unreasonable and if one were to think this is how the Church thinks, they are sorely mistaken.
Pope Pius XII did isssue an encyclical on the holy scriptures and how they should be made accesable to the modern man. But never did he say these translations would be without error :rolleyes:

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='15 September 2009 - 07:09 PM' timestamp='1253052575' post='1967102']
[url="http://jmom.honlam.org/rsvce/"]Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition[/url]
[/quote]

That one's alright if you know exactly what you're looking for. The other online Bibles have better search tools, translations of the Hebrew/Greek, and all kinds of tasty goodness.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='15 September 2009 - 07:21 PM' timestamp='1253053315' post='1967111']
If the Catholic Church is 100% accurate in it's rules/teaching then all Bibles accepted by the Church should be 100% accurate and lucid!
[/quote]

Lucidity is in the eye of the reader. I think "she or he" reads and sounds awkward, but others find it respectful.

Any Bible accepted by the Church is without error: that is an objective point.

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='16 September 2009 - 01:08 AM' timestamp='1253074129' post='1967397']
WHAT DOES THE cts STAND FOR
[/quote]

Catholic Theological Society.

That's my guess :)

Archaeology cat

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='15 September 2009 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1253037146' post='1966893']
I'm not such a big fan of the NRSV, or what I've read of it anyway. Sometimes RSV reads a little clunky, but overall I like the older verbiage. Studylight.org has the RSV, NRSV, Douay-Rheims, and Latin Vulgate. You don't see that every day :)
[/quote]
Neither am I, but that's what I had found at the time. :) Thanks for the website!