An Old School Catholic Message Board

Version Of The Bible

rkwright

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

As of now I prefer the New American Bible for the Old Testament and the Douay-Rheims for the New Testament....King James isnt Bad.

Textual accuracy is very important to me and should be to anyone who reads the Bible. And I think good commentary and references are very important aswell.

(I have been hearing nothing but good comments on the Navarre Bible... and is supposed to have the best commentary(church fathers, documents ect.) Was done by Opus Dei.)

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='14 September 2009 - 03:24 PM' timestamp='1252959871' post='1966406']
As of now I prefer the New American Bible for the Old Testament and the Douay-Rheims for the New Testament....King James isnt Bad.

Textual accuracy is very important to me and should be to anyone who reads the Bible. And I think good commentary and references are very important aswell.

(I have been hearing nothing but good comments on the Navarre Bible... and is supposed to have the best commentary(church fathers, documents ect.) Was done by Opus Dei.)
[/quote]

Why do you recommend those?

I would recommend the Haydock Bible and the Navarre Bible. The former uses the text of the Douay-Rheims; the latter, the text of the Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition. Both have extensive commentaries largely from the writings of the Fathers.

sacredheartandbloodofjesus

Because the douay rheims NT was translated from the latin vulgate.So its a lil more on the safe side then relying on their own interpretations straight from the Greek if their not Catholic.
But its OT is a translation of a translation of a translation.

The new american OT is a translation straight from the Greek. and even here you gotta be careful, becuase theve changed some things to not sound sexist but in so doing they changed the word of God.

[quote name='sacredheartandbloodofjesus' date='14 September 2009 - 05:03 PM' timestamp='1252965800' post='1966473']
But its OT is a translation of a translation of a translation.
[/quote]

Actually, it is largely only a translation of a translation. St. Jerome mainly translated from the Hebrew texts rather than from the LXX. :)

Edited by Resurrexi

The other point I kinda want to learn about is the textual accuracy of all these translations.

To a lessor extent, do any of the differences in versions really matter - are the variations minimal?

[quote name='rkwright' date='14 September 2009 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1252967219' post='1966496']
The other point I kinda want to learn about is the textual accuracy of all these translations.

To a lessor extent, do any of the differences in versions really matter - are the variations minimal?
[/quote]

I don't know what you mean by textual accuracy, but it should be known that the Church teaches that the woman taken in adultery and the ending of St. Mark's Gospel are canonical Scripture.

Edited by Resurrexi

We use RSV at our seminary. I find the NRSV to be too PC/inclusive languaged. The NAB is kind of like wearing an old comfortable sweater, just ignore the footnotes.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='14 September 2009 - 05:45 PM' timestamp='1252968347' post='1966518']
I don't know what you mean by textual accuracy, but it should be known that the Church teaches that the woman taken in adultery and the ending of St. Mark's Gospel are canonical Scripture.
[/quote]

Well I guess 2 questions...

1) How good/accurate of a translation is it into English

2) How reliable is the original manuscripts it uses. I'm just getting into this a little bit, but as I understand it there are many manuscripts that different Bibles rely on for their translation. Say for example, I have a New American Bible, but as I understand it, it did not pull the NT from Jerome's translation. Is St. Jerome's translations as we have them in the Vulgate today one of the better translations?

[quote name='CatherineM' date='14 September 2009 - 05:49 PM' timestamp='1252968543' post='1966521']
The NAB is kind of like wearing an old comfortable sweater, just ignore the footnotes.
[/quote]

We use the NAB for my New Testament class. I think that its wording is incredibly awkward and unpoetical.