An Old School Catholic Message Board

One-On-One Debating

homeschoolmom

From time to time two members of Phatmass will want to conduct a one-on-one debate. If this should occur, one member of the debate should contact a moderator who will contact the second member (to verify that s/he is interested in a public debate). When both members have agreed upon the guidelines of their debate, they will contact the moderator who will open the thread for them with the stated rules. Other members are asked to refrain from posting in that thread and their posts will be deleted. Moderators may post to enforce the guidelines. If guidelines are repeatedly broken, the thread will be closed.

One way I've seen this done on other forums (fori?) is that other members start a "comment on the debate thread" thread. It's a good way of being able to sort of be part of the debate without sidetracking it.

Ooooh... I like that. It's a separate thread titled "Comments on the 'dog vs. cat' thread"? and others can put in their two cents or just :popcorn: ?

I can attest to Terra's experience. The board I checked out for a while had strictly 1 on 1 debates, but the commentary board was wide open for everyone.

Yes I've seen it done that way too. I like it much better that way. I haven't done much debating lately but when I do its pretty much only one on one or sort of a team thing.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='14 September 2009 - 04:03 PM' timestamp='1252958616' post='1966395']
Ooooh... I like that. It's a separate thread titled "Comments on the 'dog vs. cat' thread"? and others can put in their two cents or just :popcorn: ?
[/quote]
:yes:

It typically works pretty well. And like Golden says, you can set the parameters of the debate so it is either a one-on-one or a two-on-two (or more, if you like). Having a couple other people involved can be interesting too, just so you get a broader perspective, and so the debate keeps moving when people are busy.

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='15 September 2009 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1253036944' post='1966887']
:yes:

It typically works pretty well. And like Golden says, you can set the parameters of the debate so it is either a one-on-one or a two-on-two (or more, if you like). Having a couple other people involved can be interesting too, just so you get a broader perspective, and so the debate keeps moving when people are busy.
[/quote]

I like 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 (though more sometimes begins to defeat the purpose) in cases where each member is in sync with his team and they present unified arguments. It helps to keep things moving along in cases where one member can't post as regularly as the other would want, and also so that members can break down longer arguments and each take parts so not to overwhelm anyone. It only works if a team (of however many members) is working on one argument at a time and working together and not posting of their own accord.

It could even be set so that there are a couple people per team, and yet only one member can post in the debate thread, so that each member of the team can help formulate the argument and work on answering the other side. They can share/discuss their work privately with the chosen member who can take it all and submit it to the thread.

Edited by goldenchild17

Yeah I like that idea, goldenchild. I think a real debate structured in this way could end up being really edifying.

(I also think your avatar is cute :)) )

• 1 month later...
goldenchild17

[quote name='TheSword' date='15 November 2009 - 08:23 AM' timestamp='1258295005' post='2003197']
How do I contact the moderator and get into a 1on1 debate?
[/quote]

Just send them a private message.

Edited by goldenchild17

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...