An Old School Catholic Message Board

Transubstantiation

Mark of the Cross

Storm--

It's really best to avoid "doc dumping" (which is just basically cutting and pasting long documents with the idea that people will read it). It's better to to just post what you want to say in your own words (even if you wrote the document, it's better to dialog rather than toss documents at one another...)

[quote name='homeschoolmom' date='10 September 2009 - 04:27 PM' timestamp='1252618054' post='1964552']
Storm--

It's really best to avoid "doc dumping" (which is just basically cutting and pasting long documents with the idea that people will read it). It's better to to just post what you want to say in your own words (even if you wrote the document, it's better to dialog rather than toss documents at one another...)
[/quote]
Agreed. It would be more effective for you, Storm, to post relevant selections and make use of [b]bold[/b], [i]italics[/i], and [u]underline[/u].
Just not [s]strikethrough[/s]. That will be counter-productive for clarity. :saint:

I know this slightly goes off topic, and I won't say it again so we can keep on topic, but it was the Church that decided what was to be in the written Bible. The written word of God is a product of the Church's Sacred Tradition. Before that, the Bible was passed down by word of mouth. The Church had the authority to create the written Bible. In other words, the Bible was compiled to prove the Authority of the Church. Any scriptural interpretation that seems to contradict Church teaching is a misinterpretation, and it goes against it's purpose. To deny the Authority of the Church is to deny the Authority of the Bible. Any person who uses a Protestant Bible has denied this authority, by going against the Church's decision and changing the canon. (notably, eliminating seven books and rearranging the books of Esther and Daniel).

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' date='09 September 2009 - 07:19 PM' timestamp='1252538373' post='1964057']
Thankfully, Jesus made it exceedingly obvious what He meant. [url="http://bible.logos.com/passage/niv/John%206.63"]John 6:63[/url]declares, "The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. Thewords I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life." Jesusspecifically stated that His words are "spirit."
[/quote]

If I got a dime for every time verse 63 was used to nullify everything before it I'd be a rich man. Anyone who reads the context of Chapter 6 will realize what Jesus is referring to.

[quote name='mortify' date='11 September 2009 - 12:33 AM' timestamp='1252640011' post='1964740']
If I got a dime for every time verse 63 was used to nullify everything before it I'd be a rich man. Anyone who reads the context of Chapter 6 will realize what Jesus is referring to.
[/quote]

Amen...Amen....Amen

[quote name='mortify' date='10 September 2009 - 09:33 PM' timestamp='1252640011' post='1964740']
[/quote]
Yes, most Protestants fail to notice that throughout the text Christ talks about the life-giving properties of what He refers to as "My flesh", while in verse 63 He speaks about "the flesh," and in this one verse He shifts His emphasis from the life-giving Eucharist in order to condemn those who see the world only in a "fleshly manner." This same type of usage is found in St. Paul's epistles.

Edited by Apotheoun

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='13 September 2009 - 11:13 PM' timestamp='1252880014' post='1965898']
Yes, most Protestants fail to notice that throughout the text Christ talks about the life-giving properties of what He refers to as "My flesh", while in verse 63 He speaks about "the flesh," and in this one verse He shifts His emphasis from the life-giving Eucharist in order to condemn those who see the world only in a "fleshly manner." This same type of usage is found in St. Paul's epistles.
[/quote]
You know, I don't think I'd really noticed that shift before. Thanks, Apo!