An Old School Catholic Message Board

Another Random Thought...

Varg

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='09 September 2009 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1252538129' post='1964050']

I think he'd likely be denounced as a dangerous radical by nearly everybody, harassed constantly by citizens and government. That's just a really brief thought with little reflection.
[/quote]

Sounds exactly like what he went through when he came.

[quote name='StColette' date='11 September 2009 - 06:22 PM' timestamp='1252711320' post='1965061']
Sounds exactly like what he went through when he came.
[/quote]
:o Why so it is! I must be a genius or something.

I also think though, that society would be very different. A lot of our society is based on Christian principles... so what would it be like if Judaism instead had been left to define society? Maybe they even would have had a few more prophets. How would that have developed?

I don't think there would have been an America since there wouldn't be any Puritans facing religious discrimination. Spain would have still been part of the Roman Empire and people may have already visited the "Americas" and settled here mixing Grecco-Roman mythology with the beliefs of the Natives of this area.

We may be technology advanced now, and maybe the library of Alexandria wouldn't have been burned to the ground. All that knowledge would have been used already and expanded.

Or we could have all been dead since people didn't believe in the concept of conservation, unless some people would have took notice years ago. I mean Lebanon was full of trees, look at it now. Lions use to roam the old world, and now they are located in Africa.

But I like what if scenarios.

[quote name='desertwoman' date='12 September 2009 - 08:09 AM' timestamp='1252757350' post='1965243']
I don't think there would have been an America since there wouldn't be any Puritans facing religious discrimination. Spain would have still been part of the Roman Empire and people may have already visited the "Americas" and settled here mixing Grecco-Roman mythology with the beliefs of the Natives of this area.

We may be technology advanced now, and maybe the library of Alexandria wouldn't have been burned to the ground. All that knowledge would have been used already and expanded.

Or we could have all been dead since people didn't believe in the concept of conservation, unless some people would have took notice years ago. I mean Lebanon was full of trees, look at it now. Lions use to roam the old world, and now they are located in Africa.

But I like what if scenarios.
[/quote]
1. The Roman Empire would've collapsed, whether or not Jesus existed back then.
2. The Americas would be populated but different.
3. Conservation would still exist, possibly because of Buddhism.

Also, I think the main religions of Europe would be pagan folk religions. And Rome would not have nearly as many tourists :P

[quote name='Varg' date='12 September 2009 - 06:22 AM' timestamp='1252750934' post='1965235']
Interesting idea, Nihil. Also, unless he went to Texas, I very much doubt he'd be executed. What would happen to him?
[/quote]
Actually, He would be much more likely to be executed in California or some other liberal state. And His execution would be alsmot certain in most of the Old World, including prison colonies.

[quote name='Varg' date='12 September 2009 - 05:22 AM' timestamp='1252750934' post='1965235']
Interesting idea, Nihil. Also, unless he went to Texas, I very much doubt he'd be executed. What would happen to him?
[/quote]
I'm thinking beaten to death by a mob, or assasinated by a disgruntled person from either camp. Leaning towards the latter.

[quote name='Varg' date='12 September 2009 - 07:27 AM' timestamp='1252758465' post='1965245']
1. The Roman Empire would've collapsed, whether or not Jesus existed back then.
[/quote]

The Roman Empire would have eventually collapsed, but the aftermath of that fall would not have been the same. With no Catholic monasteries, who would have preserved Greco-Roman culture in the West?

Edited by Resurrexi

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='12 September 2009 - 02:23 PM' timestamp='1252783391' post='1965338']
The Roman Empire would have eventually collapsed, but the aftermath of that fall would not have been the same. With no Catholic monasteries, who would have preserved Greco-Roman culture in the West?
[/quote]
You don't know that some other group would have preserved it. Or that there would even be anything to preserve. The thing about hypothetical situations is that you can't just assume that everything else would have remained the same if you removed one single event. Chances are, things would be vastly different.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='12 September 2009 - 02:38 PM' timestamp='1252784302' post='1965345']
You don't know that some other group would have preserved it. Or that there would even be anything to preserve. The thing about hypothetical situations is that you can't just assume that everything else would have remained the same if you removed one single event. Chances are, things would be vastly different.
[/quote]
I agree. Christianity has had an enormous impact on the world in a variety of ways.

Here's my theory: Instead of Christ, a new prophet comes and about fifty to a hundred years later, encouraged by the prophet, the Jewish people overthrow the Roman authorities. How's that? :)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='12 September 2009 - 05:05 PM' timestamp='1252793151' post='1965436']
I agree. Christianity has had an enormous impact on the world in a variety of ways.

Here's my theory: Instead of Christ, a new prophet comes and about fifty to a hundred years later, encouraged by the prophet, the Jewish people overthrow the Roman authorities. How's that? :)
[/quote]

Remember what happened in AD 70?