An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sportsmanship

txdinghysailor

txdinghysailor

What do you guys think is appropriate behavior for spectators at small college athletic events?

Personally, I think anything goes. Example: Last Tuesday we had our first home soccer game of the year. We also had a roster of the other team, with their names and numbers. So we started heckling... Do y'all think that is approriate? Also, one of the things that it's a tradition to say if the ref's really really smell of elderberries is (warning it's kinda vulgar) [mod]language-MIKolbe[/mod]

Sports are a substitute for intercity warfare. Yes, heckling and perhaps lobbing Greek Fire into the opposing bleachers is acceptable.

[quote name='Winchester' date='07 September 2009 - 11:36 AM' timestamp='1252334178' post='1962574']
Sports are a substitute for intercity warfare. [/quote]

Is that how it started ? :unsure:

I am guilty of unsportsmanlike behavior. However, I have no problem with heckling and team rivalry. I love it actually. I love college rivialry. I love football.

see i am the opposite...

when i am playing, i am normally beating you...so i am real nice. I will tell you how good your last hit was, after you get picked off at 1st.... I will throw the ball underhand to you so you can catch it, and say 'good catch', even if you bobble it a bit. I will say 'i wouldn't have swung at that either', after you strike out looking.....

at the end, i will extend my hand and say 'good game, really..thank you, i enjoyed it'.

:evil:

We're always heckling the other team at my school's sports events. And I go to Catholic School. But most of the time, it has to do with the fact that we're crushing them, not just insulting them. My school is legendary in high school sports, so we almost always triumph! :))

I have seen worse heckling at little league games than I have at pro games. I think that it depends on the age of the players. Pro players have to be able to handle it or they should find another profession. College, maybe some, school age kids should be left alone.

I only taunt when it's an informal friendly game and it's usually in jest. Wouldn't even think about it in a formal match/game.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='07 September 2009 - 05:35 PM' timestamp='1252362927' post='1962848']
My business faculty heckles the engineering faculty and vice versa whenever we get together. :saint:
[/quote]
Apparently once they stole our roof.

If we are takling about sportsmanship, then we need trustworthy person. Refs can not be calling for the other team. I mean by this is that they are at a parish, then they have to call the fouls on that parich team as well.

[quote name='txdinghysailor' date='07 September 2009 - 11:25 AM' timestamp='1252333548' post='1962571']
What do you guys think is appropriate behavior for spectators at small college athletic events?

Personally, I think anything goes. Example: Last Tuesday we had our first home soccer game of the year. We also had a roster of the other team, with their names and numbers. So we started heckling... Do y'all think that is approriate? Also, one of the things that it's a tradition to say if the ref's really really smell of elderberries is (warning it's kinda vulgar) [mod]language-MIKolbe[/mod]
[/quote]
I don't think you need to use peoples names.

I was not naming any names or parsih who do this, but I was just saying that some parish (not all) ref do not call any of the fouls for there team.