An Old School Catholic Message Board

Arguments That Christianity Is The True Religion?

rkwright

Saint Therese

I said singing songs in praise of God, that's not the same as saying I do not hate or something. If it does happen, fine, but i've never heard of any other religion doing that. I'd love to be proven wrong.

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='06 September 2009 - 10:03 PM' timestamp='1252289014' post='1962357']
Well you don't see too many members of other religions singing songs in praise of God as they're being led to the guillotine.
[/quote]

Other religions?

Just how many Christians have gone to the guillotine singing praise to God?

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='06 September 2009 - 10:26 PM' timestamp='1252290390' post='1962382']
I said singing songs in praise of God, that's not the same as saying I do not hate or something. If it does happen, fine, but i've never heard of any other religion doing that. I'd love to be proven wrong.
[/quote]

What do you think "Allahu Akhbar" translates into English as?

Chestertonian

GK Chesterton addressed these topics and I think his arguments are very persuasive:

http://chesterton.org/gkc/theologian/whychristian.htm

http://chesterton.org/gkc/theologian/whycatholic.htm

[quote name='Saint Therese' date='06 September 2009 - 11:03 PM' timestamp='1252289014' post='1962357']
Well you don't see too many members of other religions singing songs in praise of God as they're being led to the guillotine.
[/quote]

Well, other Christians would be singing praises to God, but many of us Catholics, would be looking for a priest
to give us the Last Rights instead. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Jim

[quote name='bonkers' date='05 September 2009 - 10:39 PM' timestamp='1252204763' post='1961575']
Well then we have the issue of blind faith in your arguments.
[/quote]
No, we have an issue with a pre-teen who likes to use demeaning terms rather than formulate proper arguments.

[quote name='Kitty' date='04 September 2009 - 09:42 PM' timestamp='1252114938' post='1961095']
There is no such thing or proof of a thing as "the true religion".
[/quote]
Apparently you don't believe in formulating arguments, either. Perhaps speaking entirely in non-sequiters is part of your religion.

[quote name='Hassan' date='07 September 2009 - 01:38 AM' timestamp='1252301907' post='1962480']
What do you think "Allahu Akhbar" translates into English as?
[/quote]
No fair spiking the lobs. Knock it off.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='04 September 2009 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1252107302' post='1961011']
The resurrection is an historically undeniable fact.
[/quote]

How so? From an objective point of view I mean, without recourse to the infallibility of scripture or catholic dogma.

ps. I believe in the resurrection, just wondering :)

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='04 September 2009 - 09:27 PM' timestamp='1252114038' post='1961085']
Christianity as a revealed religion has always been exclusionary as it concerns the truth claims made by other religions, but the reasons put forward by the Holy Fathers for this approach are based upon revelation, which finds its fullness only in Christ, and not upon created reason taken alone.
[/quote]
In my opinion this is also a reason that [u]sola sciptura[/u] ultimately does not work with Christianity. A truly lasting faith cannot simply be found written down, even if the word is divinely inspired. One needs to meet the Word Himself.

But yeah, a way to "prove" Christianity would be to prove Christ.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Hassan' date='06 September 2009 - 11:49 AM' timestamp='1252255779' post='1961816']
So? That has absolutely nothing to do with his point about the impotence of the argument he was criticizing.
[/quote]

It does make me comapre the incentives that Mohammad had to falsify his religion compared to the early Christian disciples, it just does not seem to be worth the ire of the Romans to go around preaching and not fighting back when they oppress you.

[quote name='bonkers' date='04 September 2009 - 12:31 AM' timestamp='1252042289' post='1960660']
Every religion has its own set of proofs, and every other religion has its counter arguments. There is no way of knowing for sure your religion is the true one, except through blind faith.
[/quote]

Atheism included

[quote name='jonyelmony' date='16 September 2009 - 03:49 AM' timestamp='1253087355' post='1967450']
Atheism included
[/quote]
Pearls. Swine.

You'd do better to whistle in the ocean.