An Old School Catholic Message Board

Yoga

Shpout

perfectunion33

There is nothing wrong with yoga as long as you never lose sight of Christ and the True Faith. We can and should take the good from all religions and throw out the bad.

[quote name='perfectunion33' date='17 September 2009 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1253209792' post='1968103']
There is nothing wrong with yoga as long as you never lose sight of Christ and the True Faith. We can and should take the good from all religions and throw out the bad.
[/quote]
Many don't share your opinion. Personally I don't believe I'm informed clearly enough to decide.

[quote name='JimR-OCDS' date='06 September 2009 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1252262342' post='1961932']
I've been doing Yoga exercise for at least ten years. I know monks and priest who do yoga.

None of us have become what you seem to have seen in other Catholics.

Jim
[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
if we're going to pull out the 'i know a priest who does it so it's okay' card - then

i know a nun who 'consecrates' the 'host' at a 'Mass' - so that must make it okay. :topsy:

• 11 months later...

I've been doing yoga off and on for five years and have recently recommitted myself to a yoga practice.

I'm not yet convinced yoga is truly a "religion" or is "hindu."

The teacher or yoga school could of course blend religion into the practice, but I don't think that necessarily has to be.

If there is one God and yoga can bring someone closer to God, even if their understanding of God is clouded and imperfect, then is it not a good thing for those outside of Catholicism? Does that not bring them closer to some kind of kinship with us? I have met some of the best people at yoga classes who I am sure are not Christians, yet who seem to be doing a better job of living a virtuous life than many Catholics I know.

But what is the danger for Catholics to do yoga? I'm not sure yet there is one, though I'm not sure yet of the reverse either. I am going to make an honest study of it, and not reject it in ignorance or speculation, as many posts here seem to be doing. I do know that I have received immense benefits to my health by practicing yoga, in ways no other excercise has done. And I do know that it helps me to be more meditative and contemplative. And where do I go with that? Back to my Catholic prayers and spirtuality, of course. I have no temptation to convert to another religion, but only to go deeper into my own.

[quote name='dauntingknight' timestamp='1251764434' post='1959116']
I heard that doing the exercise is good but if you start doing the sayings such as "be one with myself" thats bad.
[/quote]

"You must be one with the rock"......

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1253218003' post='1968180']
+J.M.J.+
if we're going to pull out the 'i know a priest who does it so it's okay' card - then

i know a nun who 'consecrates' the 'host' at a 'Mass' - so that must make it okay. :topsy:
[/quote]
It's been a year, so I bet the reconstructive surgery from this knockout punch is probably complete.

Actually, if you want to know the truth, I've heard many Hindus tell me that Hatha Yoga (the yoga we are talking about now :P ) is incomplete without the spiritual aspect to it. Yoga is more than an exercise, in short. So, you could do it, but it would be incomplete. *shrug* So....

In other news, my 10 month old niece said my name :D