An Old School Catholic Message Board

Yoga

Shpout

the more I read about it the more I am drawn to agree that it does not fit with Catholicism, i think pilates would do the trick just fine for an exercise, but with yoga since it is a religious and philosophy at its core we cannot fully rule it out, making ourselves open to some dangers (though it may never happen to some people, i did read some accounts of people going into some intense spiritual (not from God) experiences, some people are more sensitive than others...)
anyway just my thoughts so far

If you think pilates would be better, go for it! :) Though I will have to warn you: Pilates can be a lot more difficult than Yoga, but it's well worth it! There's tons of cardio, moving around, and you get to use an exercise ball! ^_^

[quote name='Selah' date='02 September 2009 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1251938748' post='1960106']
If you think pilates would be better, go for it! :) Though I will have to warn you: Pilates can be a lot more difficult than Yoga, but it's well worth it! There's tons of cardio, moving around, and you get to use an exercise ball! ^_^
[/quote]
i did do Pilates for a while years ago and did enjoy it, but my exercise is Capoeira (A Brazilian martial art that looks like dance)
I was wondering about yoga mostly because of my friend who is all into it and who keeps wanting to take me to one of her classes!

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Theoketos' date='03 September 2009 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1251978379' post='1960285']
My wife does pilates for pregnant woman. My other two lil ones copy her.
[/quote]
That was when I started doing Pilates. Now if I try to do it my son tackles me.

Pilates is actually combination of yoga exercise and calestetics. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Jim

If you want it for fitness, why not pilates?
If you want it for relaxation, why not tai chi?

With the significant doubt that does already exist, isn't it more prudent to avoid it for the time being?

I prefer Power Yoga, however, lately I've been doing Gilad's workouts, from FitTV.

When I watched a video on Pilates, it was just yoga with calisthenics, and I wasn't interested, at the time.

Yoga exercise is good, because it hits every muscle group, and enhances range of motion.

I practiced Tai Chi years ago, and I use to do Yoga in the morning, Tai Chi at night. However, I found Yoga
to be far better than Tai Chi, plus, my evening commute increased and took that time away.

Jim

[quote name='Theoketos' date='03 September 2009 - 07:46 AM' timestamp='1251978379' post='1960285']
My wife does pilates for pregnant woman. My other two lil ones copy her.
[/quote]

I would have loved to do this while preggers (still pregnant so there's still time), but the classes they have are at a bad time for me since I work and have a 10 month old. So... I do some yoga stretches that my doctor instructed me to do to help ease back pain and prepare for labor.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='04 September 2009 - 01:15 AM' timestamp='1252044950' post='1960673']
If you want it for fitness, why not pilates?
If you want it for relaxation, why not tai chi?

With the significant doubt that does already exist, isn't it more prudent to avoid it for the time being?
[/quote]

I concur!

I've noticed that Catholics who go into things like Yoga etc, end up becoming relativists and not believing in anything true due to their training in eastern rubbish.

[quote name='CorMaria' date='06 September 2009 - 12:06 AM' timestamp='1252213600' post='1961692']
I've noticed that Catholics who go into things like Yoga etc, end up becoming relativists and not believing in anything true due to their training in eastern rubbish.
[/quote]
It's not really the Eastern philosophy that's bad in my opinion. It's just the Western understanding of it. People use it to justify beliefs they already have.

[quote name='CorMaria' date='06 September 2009 - 02:06 AM' timestamp='1252213600' post='1961692']
[/quote]

I've been doing Yoga exercise for at least ten years. I know monks and priest who do yoga.

None of us have become what you seem to have seen in other Catholics.

Jim