An Old School Catholic Message Board

Yoga

Shpout

They wouldn't have a chance to. They'd be burninated.

Okay, we'd better get back on topic before hsmom comes in and sees us not being on topic...

ahem...

Yeah, that yoga sure is evil....

Edited by Selah

txdinghysailor

[quote name='Selah' date='31 August 2009 - 06:00 PM' timestamp='1251752432' post='1958988']
They wouldn't have a chance to. They'd be burninated.

Okay, we'd better get back on topic before hsmom comes in and sees us not being on topic...

ahem...

Yeah, that yoga sure is evil....
[/quote]

burninated?

Yoga is totally terrible, a complete mortal sin to participate in. In fact, it may even be a mortal sin to talk about how sinful it is... I better go to confession. And then we better start spamming again to avoid further sin :P

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='31 August 2009 - 03:02 PM' timestamp='1251745369' post='1958936']
NEUROSCIENCE! If it has to do with the brain, I'm all over it!
[/quote]
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104291534

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Selah' date='31 August 2009 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1251749892' post='1958968']
Again the heathen is right! (you know I have to pick on you, lol)

Hate to break it to everyone here, but Christianity as a whole has Pagan symbolism in it, as well as titles for Deities and holiday celebrations. Gonna be against it, be against it all.

By the way, Yoga is an exercise. It is healthy. Making ths sign of the cross...isn't.
[/quote]
Many 'pagan' aspects of Christianity are in fact based on paganism's tendency to be a sort of prelude to Christ. Supernaturally, of course, we believe that many obvious parallels were God's subtle actions before Christ. I don't recall the more 'official' term for it...
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='31 August 2009 - 05:07 PM' timestamp='1251756422' post='1959032']
Many 'pagan' aspects of Christianity are in fact based on paganism's tendency to be a sort of prelude to Christ. Supernaturally, of course, we believe that many obvious parallels were God's subtle actions before Christ. I don't recall the more 'official' term for it...
Just thought I'd throw that out there.
[/quote]
That idea has always fascinated me. However, I flip back and forth between seeing it as evidence and seeing it as "of course you'd say that."

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='31 August 2009 - 06:09 PM' timestamp='1251756586' post='1959036']
That idea has always fascinated me. However, I flip back and forth between seeing it as evidence and seeing it as "of course you'd say that."
[/quote]

We see so many elements of Christianity and Judaism in Islam because both were God's precursors to His final, perfect revelation.

[quote name='Hassan' date='31 August 2009 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1251761156' post='1959081']
We see so many elements of Christianity and Judaism in Islam because both were God's precursors to His final, perfect revelation.
[/quote]
:biglol:

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='31 August 2009 - 08:17 PM' timestamp='1251764266' post='1959115']
:biglol:
[/quote]

Yes, it's a very weak argument.

No less so when we apply the same structure to Paganism and Christianity.

[quote name='Hassan' date='31 August 2009 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1251764440' post='1959117']
Yes, it's a very weak argument.

No less so when we apply the same structure to Paganism and Christianity.
[/quote]
Any comparison between two distinct things will always include similarities and dissimilarities.

As far as the actual topic is concerned, I see no reason why yoga cannot be used as a form of exercise (i.e., once it is emptied of its religious elements).

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='31 August 2009 - 04:09 PM' timestamp='1251756586' post='1959036']
[/quote]
Well obviously I'm convinced. :) At the end of the day, either a very large number of pagan religions from a wide variety of sources have supernaturally tended to conform to one future religious system, or the religious system has copied itself from a wide variety of mostly unrelated sources.
You know, I've also read a couple arguments that even the workings of the wider world and universe itself have some elements that point towards Christianity. I guess there are the same arguments against, but I personally found it quite compelling.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='31 August 2009 - 08:14 PM' timestamp='1251767695' post='1959160']
Well obviously I'm convinced. :) At the end of the day, either a very large number of pagan religions from a wide variety of sources have supernaturally tended to conform to one future religious system, or the religious system has copied itself from a wide variety of mostly unrelated sources.
You know, I've also read a couple arguments that even the workings of the wider world and universe itself have some elements that point towards Christianity. I guess there are the same arguments against, but I personally found it quite compelling.
[/quote]
I was somewhat convinced that it had to be more than a coincidence.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='31 August 2009 - 09:51 PM' timestamp='1251777083' post='1959282']
I was somewhat convinced that it had to be more than a coincidence.
[/quote]
Yea, we can definitely both agree on that.

If a stretch into the Vishnu pose, am being faithful to my Christianity?

If I stretch into Half Lord of Fishes Pose?

http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposes/a/seatspinaltwist.htm

Stretching like Yoga, probably fine. I would say Yoga cannot be devoid of its religious meaning per se.