An Old School Catholic Message Board

Yoga

Shpout

[quote name='Winchester' date='31 August 2009 - 12:47 PM' timestamp='1251744435' post='1958920']
In this case, we're discussing the stretches and whatnot--normal human actions which do not have theological meaning.
[/quote]
Do I think that the stretches involved in yoga are evil? No.

That said, I was very specifically responding to the comment I quoted, and was not referring to anything beyond that comment.

A bad intention can vitiate the goodness of a thing that is (according to its end) inherently good.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='31 August 2009 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1251744510' post='1958922']
In general, I agree.
[/quote]
Thank you. God bless.

Fidei Defensor

[quote]Aloysius Posted 04 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

the problem is the Cult of the Body and the self-centeredness of the Yoga philosophy's attempt to better oneself... meditative physical postures which are focused within oneself can be damaging to your mindset and ought to be treated with due caution if nothing else; the ridiculing of a skeptical approach to Yoga is not appropriate here IMHO the way the ridiculing of an opposition to Christmas Trees might be... it's a ritualistic succession of physical postures which focus within to the self. if one is not careful, it can affect one's cultural outlook in a way that self-centers you.[/quote]
That only applies to people who practice yoga in the traditional manner and still claim they aren't partaking in the ritual. IMO, they are fooling themselves.

We are talking about the exercise alone, the kind that only involves the postures without any mindfulness and the like. It's done for purely physical reasons, and possibly, for relaxation (slow exercise is relaxing.) Who is to say you can't be praying a rosary while you perform yoga?

Edited by fidei defensor

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='31 August 2009 - 12:53 PM' timestamp='1251744819' post='1958930']
That only applies to people who practice yoga in the traditional manner and still claim they aren't partaking in the ritual. IMO, they are fooling themselves.

We are talking about the exercise alone, the kind that only involves the postures without any mindfulness and the like. It's done for purely physical reasons, and possibly, for relaxation (slow exercise is relaxing.) Who is to say you can't be praying a rosary while you perform yoga?
[/quote]
I agree, and Eastern Christian saints have often used specific body postures during prayer, as a part of the meditation process.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='31 August 2009 - 12:55 PM' timestamp='1251744918' post='1958931']
I agree, and Eastern Christian saints have often used specific body postures during prayer, as a part of the meditation process.
[/quote]
Sounds interesting. I may need to do some research on that.

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='31 August 2009 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1251745049' post='1958932']
[/quote]
The practice is called "Hesychia."

[quote name='fidei defensor' date='31 August 2009 - 02:57 PM' timestamp='1251745049' post='1958932']
[/quote]

Most forms of religious mysticism involve some of these and other similar themes.

If you are investigating it you may wish to also look into neuroscientists who have managed to cause humans to undergo deep spiritual experiences by stimulating the temporal lobe.

I'd suspect these two things are linked.

Edited by Hassan

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Hassan' date='31 August 2009 - 01:01 PM' timestamp='1251745316' post='1958935']
Most forms of religious mysticism involve some of these and other similar themes.

If you are investigating it you may wish to also look into neuroscientists who have managed to cause humans to undergo deep spiritual experiences by stimulating the frontal lobe.

I'd suspect these two things are linked.
[/quote]
NEUROSCIENCE! If it has to do with the brain, I'm all over it!

cmotherofpirl

When you are doing any kind of exercise you are focusing your attention on yourself, so in that respect theres is no difference between yoga and any other set of exercises. If you ever take ballet you know spend hours looking at yourself moving in front of a mirror to obtain perfection in postures and movement.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='31 August 2009 - 07:55 PM' timestamp='1251744918' post='1958931']
[/quote]
Indeed, that does sound quite interesting.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='31 August 2009 - 01:03 PM' timestamp='1251745388' post='1958938']
Indeed, that does sound quite interesting.
[/quote]
The spiritual writings that explain the Hesychastic method of prayer are found in a multi-volume series of books called "The Philokalia."

Woah suddenly alot of posts!

I guess Im just confused now if taking part in Yoga with no intention of following the medtation to self god is ok or not.
Maybe Im just dense.

This topic was discussed to death (meaning the thread was eventually closed because we were all going in circles) but it could be a good read for those interested.

http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=66377&hl=Yoga&st=0

KnightofChrist

Fr. John Hardon SJ [url="http://catholiceducation.org/articles/religion/re0275.html"]Why is Yoga incompatible with Catholicism?[/url]

Fr. James Manjackal [url="http://www.jmanjackal.net/eng/engyoga.htm"]Yoga is incompatible with Christianity[/url]

Fr. James Manjackal, Fr. Paul E. Demarais, and Fr. John Hardon SJ [url="http://www.speroforum.com/site/article.asp?id=9525"]Catholic faith and yoga: incompatible[/url]

catholicculture.org Yoga -- [url="http://www.catholicculture.org/library/view.cfm?recnum=2927"]Health or Stealth?[/url]