An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lockerbie Bomber

Lil Red

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know almost nothing about it If he played any substantive role in the bombing of a civilian airline then absolutely not I could see moving him to the hospital wing of the prison and giving his family more visitation freedoms (as a mercy to the family), but not allowing him to return home like this.

Like I said in the other thread, dying alone in a foreign jail is one of the punishments you risk in doing an international crime. Had the plane fallen over Texas instead of Scotland, he'd have been dead long ago.

Vincent Vega

He was sentenced to life (justly in my opinion), and should have carried out his term until his death.
May God have mercy on him for taking 270 innocent lives.

cmotherofpirl

I think the release was disgusting and politically motivated. Scots officials should be ashamed of themselves.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='26 August 2009 - 11:52 AM' timestamp='1251301973' post='1956269']
I think the release was disgusting and politically motivated. Scots officials should be ashamed of themselves.
[/quote]

It looks like the Brits may have pushed them to doing it because BP really wants a nice Lybian oil deal.

Does anyone know his actual role in the bombing? I mean was he an active participant?

He was in Libyan intelligence and head of security for their airline. The clothes in the suitcase that contained the bomb were traced to him somehow.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='26 August 2009 - 05:52 PM' timestamp='1251301973' post='1956269']
[/quote]

I think this is a very complex situation and no doubt you are aware that both the Scottish and United Kingdom authorities absolutely refute that this was a politically motivated decision.

I am not sure what you will make of the statement made by Archbishop Mario Conti of Glasgow following the release:

[indent]"I personally, and many others in the Catholic community admired the decision to release Abdelbaset al-Megrahi on grounds of compassion which is, after all, one of the principles inscribed on the mace of the Scottish Parliament by which Scotland’s Government should operate.
The showing of mercy in any situation is not a sign of weakness. Indeed in this situation, with the pressures and circumstances of the case, it seemed to me a sign of manifest strength.
Despite contrary voices I believe it is a decision which will be a source of satisfaction for many Scots and one which will be respected in the international community.
I have been impressed by the expressions of understanding and insight from Dr Jim Swire and other relatives who lost loved ones on the Pan Am flight who have acknowledged both the rightness of the gesture of compassion and their doubts as to the safety of the original conviction
I would welcome any move which would try to find clearer answers as to what happened and why.”

[right]Source: Scottish Catholic Media Office[/indent][/right]

Opinion in Scotland and in the wider United Kingdom is much more supportive of this move than in the USA. In fact some of the families of the Scottish victims were prominent in campaigning for his release because they think he was innocent and they want the real killers convicted.

+J.M.J.+
i think it was merciful not killing him. justice would have been letting him stay in jail until he died.

Opinion is split here in Scotland. Personally, I think if he was guilty then he shouldn't have been released; dying at home surrounded by family was denied to the victims. I'm not sufficiently informed about the case, but I know there is debate over his involvement.

[quote name='Deeds' date='26 August 2009 - 10:08 PM' timestamp='1251317332' post='1956497']
Opinion is split here in Scotland. Personally, I think if he was guilty then he shouldn't have been released; dying at home surrounded by family was denied to the victims. I'm not sufficiently informed about the case, but I know there is debate over his involvement.
[/quote]

Your description of opinion being divided in Scotland is much more accurate of the situation than the way I expressed it in my earlier comment.

When I said that people were 'much more supportive' of the decision in Scotland than in the USA, I was trying to point out that there is a significant group who agree with his release. Whereas in the USA the release has been been almost universally condemned and I think only a tiny proportion support it. I guess I just expressed it clumsily.

Oh it's cool, I wasn't disagreeing with you. :) On the news the other day they were interviewing people in Edinburgh and more supported the release than opposed it.

To my knowledge, he maintains his innocence to this day.

A little compassion? Sure, why not. It is said he only has about 15 months to live anyway.

Edited by Gregorius

cmotherofpirl

What compassion did the victims get? If you are convicted to life imprisonment, then in prison you stay.