An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lutherans Go With Gay Pastors

thessalonian

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='24 August 2009 - 10:05 AM' timestamp='1251126300' post='1955553']
At least twice during conversations with my parents, I noted that they lack firm authority and everything comes down to a vote. I even mentioned how liberal-minded Catholics are more or less "stuck" because they can appeal to our bishops all they want, and maybe have some influence, but in the end they must choose to either submit or leave. Because I read the news releases, I know a lot more about what's going on that my parents do, so when my mom says the vote will be reversed next year, I can tell her it won't be and why.

I think the question I want to ask my dad is, "What is the one issue that you have with the Catholic Church?" But that may have to follow proposing the idea in some form of a joke... after two or three beers... :) All I really know is to be praying about it and expect God to provide the opportunities.

The Lutheran World Federation includes 140 distinct Lutheran bodies. They signed the "Joint Declaration on the Doctrine of Justification" with the Roman Catholic Church on Oct 31, 1999 (aka Reformation Day and All Hallow's Eve). The ELCA established full communion with the Episcopal Church in 1999 and also shares full communion with the Presbyterian Church(USA), United Church of Christ, Reformed Church in America, Moravian Church, and as of four days ago, also shares full communion with the United Methodist Church.

"Full communion" is similar to how the Roman Catholic Church is in full communion with Eastern Churches. Each maintains their own hierarchy and liturgies, but they can celebrated joint Eucharistic services, share ordained ministers, etc.

Since the hyperlink tool isn't working, here are links for further info:
http://www.elca.org/Who-We-Are/Our-Three-Expressions/Churchwide-Organization/Ecumenical-and-Inter-Religious-Relations/Full-Communion.aspx

http://www.elca.org/Who-We-Are/Our-Three-Expressions/Churchwide-Organization/Communication-Services/News/Releases.aspx?a=4242
[/quote]

Thanks Louis. I very much 'preciate the info. I'm too lazy to look it up.

An unsolicited piece of advice re the 'rents:

Tread carefully.

I could not give my grown children any [i]unsolicited[/i] advice re their beliefs or anything else, and know that if they tried to give me some,
partic re religions, I would tell them--clearly--to Back Off.

Of course each 'family dynamic' is different.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='24 August 2009 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1251133858' post='1955573']
Lost the moral high ground? How? The Church has stayed consistent and held the line. A large majority of Protestants have broken ranks, and flipped flopped on the issue which means they have changed the supposed "truth." For them, it shows that their moral standing on contraception is as good as the atheists' view on it. It changes with society.

First of all, the Church will survive this scandal because its Teachings have not changed on the matter. Throughout all the scandals in the Church, the teachings have not changed. What has happened is you have had fallible men fail, which the Church acknowledges will happen. We do not profess to be perfect. We only profess our Teachings on faith and morals to be rock solid.

For the Protestants that believe Truth can change with the whims of society, they will ignore the Church. For the Protestants that realize that the Truth Jesus taught cannot change, they will see a universal Church that has held the line on moral teachings for 2,000 years and will continue to do so no matter what the gates of Hell throw at it. :sword:
[/quote]

Protestants don't regard the Catholic church as the purveyor of truth, capitalized or not.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='jkaands' date='24 August 2009 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1251170449' post='1955897']
Protestants don't regard the Catholic church as the purveyor of truth, capitalized or not.
[/quote]

Well that's a given. Otherwise they would be Catholics. :D

However when Protestants see many of their denominations changing the morals, the conservative ones will be uncomfortable with the idea of changing morals and will be drawn to a church that has stayed consistent on its morals whether they agree with everything or not, they will still see a Church that has stayed with what it started.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='jkaands' date='25 August 2009 - 12:19 AM' timestamp='1251170340' post='1955893']
Thanks Louis. I very much 'preciate the info. I'm too lazy to look it up.

An unsolicited piece of advice re the 'rents:

Tread carefully.

I could not give my grown children any [i]unsolicited[/i] advice re their beliefs or anything else, and know that if they tried to give me some,
partic re religions, I would tell them--clearly--to Back Off.

Of course each 'family dynamic' is different.
[/quote]

That and pray a lot. :)

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='25 August 2009 - 12:53 AM' timestamp='1251172408' post='1955915']
However when Protestants see many of their denominations changing the morals, the conservative ones will be uncomfortable with the idea of changing morals and will be drawn to a church that has stayed consistent on its morals whether they agree with everything or not, they will still see a Church that has stayed with what it started.
[/quote]

Yes, a few will... but most Protestants are firm about Sola Scriptura and for them it's clear enough that the communions they are leaving are not teaching Scriptural morals, so it's more a matter of remaining faithful to Scripture than finding a church that will never change. The "perfect church," so to speak, isn't on the radar for most Evangelicals. They don't believe there is any such thing, except through the Blood of Christ. What Protestants are looking for is a deep love of Scripture and Christ-centered worship, so I believe promoting that aspect of Catholicism can reel in the big fish.