An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lutherans Go With Gay Pastors

thessalonian

thessalonian

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='23 August 2009 - 02:04 AM' timestamp='1251007443' post='1954762']
Sounds like a wise strategy.
[/quote]

I think however that at some point it should be pointed out to them that through thick and thin and all the contraversy surrounding moral issues, in the end the Catholic Church has ALWAYS stuck to it's gun. The gates of hell have not prevailed against true moral teaching.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='22 August 2009 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1250981143' post='1954468']
Alas, you have misunderstood the quotation, for there is no liberty in error, but only in things doubtful, and the topic at hand is not in doubt.
[/quote]

The "things doubtful" from Father Cappie probably applied to which is the best way to condemn sin.

That's how I took it anyways, but it sounds like you didn't.

It's not heresy to - beliefs aside - act more like John Tesh than Michael Savage.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='thessalonian' date='23 August 2009 - 01:06 PM' timestamp='1251047192' post='1954953']
I think however that at some point it should be pointed out to them that through thick and thin and all the contraversy surrounding moral issues, in the end the Catholic Church has ALWAYS stuck to it's gun. The gates of hell have not prevailed against true moral teaching.
[/quote]

I agree.

[quote name='iheartjp2' date='23 August 2009 - 03:48 AM' timestamp='1251013683' post='1954800']
Okay, I said this in another post, but I feel it should be said again. There is a dichotomy that should be made between reasons for offense. If someone is offended by the gospel of Jesus Christ, then so be it. Christ himself said that there would be those who would get offended at the truth. However, if someone, especially in their own words, takes offense because you appear to have absolutely no manners or tact, then they're clearly not so much offended by Christ as they are by you, which is completely reprehensible (on your part). This thread is just another example of how people can take a tragedy and project themselves so much further than Christ's message.
[/quote]

Perfectly put.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='22 August 2009 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1250979560' post='1954450']
I must say that I do admire the Russian Orthodox Church, because when the Episcopal Church approved of same sex blessings, the ROC broke off dialogue with the ECUSA until it recants its moral error and re-embraces a Christian moral position.
[/quote]

I guess the Episcopalians should simply be complicit in the despotism of the ruling tyrant of the land like the Russian Orthodox hierarchy was with the Tsars so often through the years. I suppose that is acceptable, while ordaining gay men to be Priests makes them unworthy of duologue with the most Holy Russian Orthodox Church.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='22 August 2009 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1250979560' post='1954450']
I must say that I do admire the Russian Orthodox Church, because when the Episcopal Church approved of same sex blessings, the ROC broke off dialogue with the ECUSA until it recants its moral error and re-embraces a Christian moral position.
[/quote]

I admire Patriarch Ignatius of Moscow who left the Russian Orthodox Church in order to convert the holy Catholic Church.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='23 August 2009 - 01:02 AM' timestamp='1251007333' post='1954760']
Well, it's been an interesting weekend with my parents and hearing about the aftermath within their congregation. A number of families have already submitted letters of resignation and it's safe to say that my own parents are no longer part of the ELCA, so while the ELCA may be the largest denomination to ordain practicing homosexuals, I have a feeling their numbers are about to drop rather dramatically. They don't have the hierarchical structure like the Episcopal Church does, so it should be easier for people and congregations to go elsewhere, so a split is inevitable.

I haven't yet raised the possibility with my parents of going Catholic, and not sure if I will right away. That's a mildly touchy subject, and besides, I believe it deserves some reservation because becoming Catholic should not be presented or treated like another denomination among the many.
[/quote]

I am totally unfamiliar w/ the evang Lutherans. Are they--well, conceivably--similar to the Episcopal church? Espico's and Luth's sometimes share facilities and i think sometimes services. Missouri Synod Lutherans are the strict ones--and i don't know how the others break down. I think that it would be funny if the ECUSA (Espisc Church USA) and the evang Luth's got together!

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='23 August 2009 - 02:04 PM' timestamp='1251057875' post='1955052']
I admire Patriarch Ignatius of Moscow who left the Russian Orthodox Church in order to convert the holy Catholic Church.
[/quote]
He's an interesting man. A fierce opponent of the Eastern Catholics, who supported a usurper on the Russian throne, and was imprisoned for political reasons. Later he was freed by Polish forces, move to Poland, and converted to Byzantine Catholicism.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='23 August 2009 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1251060083' post='1955101']
He's an interesting man. [b]A fierce opponent of the Eastern Catholics[/b], who supported a usurper on the Russian throne, and was imprisoned for political reasons. Later he was freed by Polish forces, move to Poland, and [b]converted to Byzantine Catholicism[/b].
[/quote]

He sounds like a St. Paul.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='23 August 2009 - 02:46 PM' timestamp='1251060388' post='1955106']
He sounds like a St. Paul.
[/quote]
Perhaps, except for the political intrigue. It's never wise to support a usurper.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='23 August 2009 - 03:49 PM' timestamp='1251060569' post='1955110']
Perhaps, except for the political intrigue. It's never wise to support a usurper.
[/quote]

It is if one truly considers the usurper to be the rightful claimant to the throne.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='23 August 2009 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1251061438' post='1955119']
It is if one truly considers the usurper to be the rightful claimant to the throne.
[/quote]
Alas, he wasn't the rightful claimant.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='23 August 2009 - 05:25 PM' timestamp='1251066343' post='1955173']
Alas, he wasn't the rightful claimant.
[/quote]

That is your opinion.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='23 August 2009 - 11:45 AM' timestamp='1251045903' post='1954935']
Yes. However it was a big moral belief they used to uphold. I was using it as an example of a big moral change they have made.
[/quote]

Thank goodness and much for the better!

The point is:
[i]
Why do you care[/i] what the Evangelical Lutherans believe?

[i][b]They[/b] really don't care[/i] what Catholics believe.

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='23 August 2009 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1251066480' post='1955174']
That is your opinion.
[/quote]
He is one of the three false Dmitriys, all of whom claimed to be the son of Tsar Ivan the Terrible.