An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lutherans Go With Gay Pastors

thessalonian

thessalonian

I am not worthy. I am not worthy. :notworthy: :notworthy: We have an english major on the board. Do you really think I don't know the difference or I just type faster that I spell?

God bless you sunshine.

[quote name='The Bus Station' date='22 August 2009 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1250989771' post='1954594']
This thread gives me gas.
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx6hAQmR1fg

Edited by Norseman82

LouisvilleFan

Well, it's been an interesting weekend with my parents and hearing about the aftermath within their congregation. A number of families have already submitted letters of resignation and it's safe to say that my own parents are no longer part of the ELCA, so while the ELCA may be the largest denomination to ordain practicing homosexuals, I have a feeling their numbers are about to drop rather dramatically. They don't have the hierarchical structure like the Episcopal Church does, so it should be easier for people and congregations to go elsewhere, so a split is inevitable.

I haven't yet raised the possibility with my parents of going Catholic, and not sure if I will right away. That's a mildly touchy subject, and besides, I believe it deserves some reservation because becoming Catholic should not be presented or treated like another denomination among the many.

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='23 August 2009 - 02:02 AM' timestamp='1251007333' post='1954760']
Well, it's been an interesting weekend with my parents and hearing about the aftermath within their congregation. A number of families have already submitted letters of resignation and it's safe to say that my own parents are no longer part of the ELCA, so while the ELCA may be the largest denomination to ordain practicing homosexuals, I have a feeling their numbers are about to drop rather dramatically. They don't have the hierarchical structure like the Episcopal Church does, so it should be easier for people and congregations to go elsewhere, so a split is inevitable.

I haven't yet raised the possibility with my parents of going Catholic, and not sure if I will right away. That's a mildly touchy subject, and besides, I believe it deserves some reservation because becoming Catholic should not be presented or treated like another denomination among the many.
[/quote]

Sounds like a wise strategy.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Selah' date='22 August 2009 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1250981206' post='1954470']
I know her based upon what her father, her sisters, and her brothers have said about her. I know what she did, what she said, how she lived her life. Her example is what I follow, or try to, and it angers me that so few people understand that THIS is what Jesus was talking about! How she treated others...hello!!!!
[/quote]

The commandment we are given is to be charitable [i]and[/i] faithful to Church teaching. I've gotten along just fine with every homosexual friend God's put in my life, and with every one of them I've shared my faith without dilution, but also in a manner that is peaceful and charitable. I get along just fine with my pro-choice friends and relatives too, and they know full well where I stand. Part of it may be that I have a knack for getting along with just about anyone, but on the same token, every person is made in the image of God and deserves to be treated with respect. Being respectful to a homosexual means that I share my honest beliefs just as they share their own; lying is disrespectful and turns homosexuality into the price at which genuine friendship is sold for superficial companionship.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

Vincent Vega

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='23 August 2009 - 02:02 AM' timestamp='1251007333' post='1954760']

[/quote]
What a blessing of an opportunity to have though. I agree - handle with care (or prayer) though.

Okay, I said this in another post, but I feel it should be said again. There is a dichotomy that should be made between reasons for offense. If someone is offended by the gospel of Jesus Christ, then so be it. Christ himself said that there would be those who would get offended at the truth. However, if someone, especially in their own words, takes offense because you appear to have absolutely no manners or tact, then they're clearly not so much offended by Christ as they are by you, which is completely reprehensible (on your part). This thread is just another example of how people can take a tragedy and project themselves so much further than Christ's message.

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' date='21 August 2009 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1250904245' post='1954101']
It is disheartening to see a weakening of the Christian forces on moral code. It used to be if you were at least Christian, you could be counted on to oppose contraception, and homosexuality. We are losing allies. However, I continue to take heart in Matthew 16:18 :sword

Someone sees some light.[/quote]

It's been a long time since mainstream Protestant denominations have opposed contraception.

[quote name='Kitty' date='23 August 2009 - 01:53 AM' timestamp='1251010390' post='1954790']
I don't have a problem with gay pastors.
[/quote]

I think that many Protestants and I suspect some Catholics feel that way. I think that the Episcopalians and the Evang. Lutherans knew that many of their pastors were gay and in the closet, and were very good pastors. They also were meeting previously closeted, now openly gay people in their daily lives, and saw no problem with it. Attitudes towards gays are clearing changing with age, the younger generations very different from the older.

Protestants don't tend to look to the Old Testament for advice on moral behavior. All the men had wives and concubines, including King David; the concubines were sex slaves, the spoils of battle. Women taken in adultery were stoned to death.

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='22 August 2009 - 05:02 PM' timestamp='1250978527' post='1954441']
Perhaps you should start a thread on St. John Chrysostom's "Discourses Against the Judaizers," because they are often held up by moderns as examples of patristic anti-semitism. It should be noted that his views on Judaizing heretics are common to all the Fathers and to the canons issued at the ecumenical and particular synods.
[/quote]

Chrysostom was a notorious anti-Semite. So was Vicente Ferrer. Protestants tend not to make saints of people. Notables remain just that, notable, considered brave leaders, not saints, and not prayed to. Dietrich Bonhoffer, a martyr, not sainted.

[quote name='The Bus Station' date='22 August 2009 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1250989771' post='1954594']
This thread gives me gas.
[/quote]
These eggs I had this morning are giving me gas. :mellow:

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='jkaands' date='23 August 2009 - 12:02 PM' timestamp='1251043361' post='1954888']
It's been a long time since mainstream Protestant denominations have opposed contraception.
[/quote]

Yes. However it was a big moral belief they used to uphold. I was using it as an example of a big moral change they have made.