An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Purpose Of Hell

Selah

:detective:

Well? Do people who live virtuous lives but are not Christians still go to hell simply because they were another religion (or lack of)? Or do they go for their misdeeds? Edited by Selah

Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1949923' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:11 PM']Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.[/quote]

I never understood this.

What sin is not a grave matter?

I mean like isn't any sin against God a serious matter.

Edited by Hassan

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1949921' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:07 PM']The hell of the damned is for those who die in the state of mortal sin.[/quote]

Is an individual who has not been baptized in mortal sin because of original sin?

[quote name='Hassan' post='1949933' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:18 PM']I never understood this.

What sin is not a grave matter?[/quote]

Many sins are not sins of grave matter. Stealing something not worth very much comes to mind.

Did you perchance suffer from scrupulosity?

[quote name='Hassan' post='1949936' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:19 PM']Is an individual who has not been baptized in mortal sin because of original sin?[/quote]

All mortal sin is actual sin. Original sin different than actual sin.

[quote name='Selah' post='1949917' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:05 PM']:detective:

Well? Do people who live virtuous lives but are not Christians still go to hell simply because they were another religion (or lack of)? Or do they go for their misdeeds?[/quote]

I've never understood why it was eternal.

I can understand purgatory, or even a hell where there was the possibility of salvation. But not an eternal one with no possibility of redemption for the damned.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1949938' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:24 PM']Many sins are not sins of grave matter. Stealing something not worth very much comes to mind.

Did you perchance suffer from scrupulosity?[/quote]

Yes I do. It's nice for think about logic but awful for thinking about sins.
(When Wittgenstein supposedly responded to Russell's question "Are you thinking about logic or your sins" with "both" I always understood the sentiment)

If a sin is an offense of God. And I am willingly sinning against God, willingly and with full knowledge choosing to act contrary to God's law. Why does it matter if I steal some bad tasting pears (yay, Augustine ^_^), ten dollars or ten million dollars? My decision to steal the pair was willingly acting contrary to God's law just as much as anything else.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1949942' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:26 PM']All mortal sin is actual sin. Original sin different than actual sin.[/quote]

Then why is Baptism necessary if one goes to hell just for mortal sins?

[quote name='Hassan' post='1949951' date='Aug 15 2009, 05:33 PM']Then why is Baptism necessary if one goes to hell just for mortal sins?[/quote]

For infants, it is necessary in order that they go to heaven rather than to limbo.

For adults, it is necessary to remit original sin as well as any actual sins.

Also, it is necessary that each person be baptized in order or him to enter into the Church of God.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1949961' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:36 PM']For infants, it is necessary in order that they go to heaven rather than to limbo.[/quote]

Why? If they have only original sin and not mortal sin and hell is for those who die in a state of mortal sin.

Limbo was not a even an actual church doctrine to begin with.

And I really have a problem with the idea that a helpless infant could die in sin it never committed and go to hell because he or she is being punished for the actions of another (Adam and Eve)