An Old School Catholic Message Board

Being Religious

Resurrexi

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Eek, it's scary reading some of the posts on this board...

Indeed we all must desire that all be religious, monotheistic, and Catholic.
Including the Protestants...

The entire point of ecumenism is the conversion of all to the Catholic Church. Our priests and bishops don't meet with protestant pastors to come up with homily idea's and sermons, but to try to reconcile with one another and the ultimate goal of Catholics in doing so is to bring them back into the fold.

As for evangelizing to the baptized or unbaptized first... that's a hard one. For sheer quantity I'd go for the unbaptized because they may be easier to reach, but for who needs it the most, I think there's a lot of Protestants who are a lot farther from God then unbaptized people due to the hardness of their hearts.

Your belief system is completely different.

No. If I were atheist, I would be logical about it, which means I would pursue my personal goals in life without the illusion of human dignity. I would be an ubermensch.

[quote name='Varg' date='07 September 2009 - 04:32 PM' timestamp='1252359165' post='1962794']
Life would be a whole lot duller if everyone thought the same, am I right?
[/quote]

I don't care if life would be duller if everyone were Catholic. I'm more concerned about the eternal felicity of others than the temporal satiation of their boredom.

[quote name='Winchester' date='07 September 2009 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1252360013' post='1962805']
Your belief system is completely different.

No. If I were atheist, I would be logical about it, which means I would pursue my personal goals in life without the illusion of human dignity. I would be an ubermensch.
[/quote]I don't quite follow...

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Varg' date='07 September 2009 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1252359165' post='1962794']
Well, I'm atheist but I don't really believe that everyone should be atheist. Life would be a whole lot duller if everyone thought the same, am I right?
[/quote]

No.

I couldn't resist. Fact is, we're talking about an impossible situation: Communism is a true ideal, but to imagine that everyone in the world is a faithful Catholic? That would preclude everyone in the world going to Confession on a regular basis... so much for an ideal world.

However, I do believe that every individual becomes fully themselves through communion with God. I believe if the world were largely and faithfully Catholic, we would enjoy more peace, greater economic equality, more creativity in the arts and music, more beauty in our everyday experiences, and a greater appreciation for life. If I didn't believe this, there would be no sense in being Catholic because the very name "Catholic" implies it is a worship and a life created for all people.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Varg' date='08 September 2009 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1252440457' post='1963402']
I don't quite follow...
[/quote]

Ãœbermensch is a philosophical concept of Friedrich Nietzsche.

http://western-philosophy.suite101.com/article.cfm/nietzsches_uebermensch

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='08 September 2009 - 04:19 PM' timestamp='1252441165' post='1963406']
more creativity in the arts and music
[/quote]How so? Black metal wouldn't exist if everyone was Catholic...

Fidei Defensor

I don't think "being religious" is inherently good or bad.

I don't much like the modern connotations, however. The idea that in order to "be" religious, you have to act a certain way. I think belief is much more important. Whether or not others know what you believe is much less important than actually believing.

[quote name='Varg' date='08 September 2009 - 05:30 PM' timestamp='1252445430' post='1963468']
I know but...Where does that come into it?
[/quote]
No you don't. You may have just googled it, but you didn't know about it before.

The lack of understanding proves you're not a very good atheist. This is like a Catholic not understanding the need for confession. And the no "black metal" argument only makes the appeal of everyone being Catholic all the stronger. Like death metal and any music out of Sweden, it would be better if it had never been.

Of course, TechnoViking is awesome.

Edited by Winchester

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Varg' date='08 September 2009 - 06:31 PM' timestamp='1252445503' post='1963470']
How so? Black metal wouldn't exist if everyone was Catholic...
[/quote]

Black metal could develop through different means... I think the bigger difficulty with this hypothetical scenario is that in a culture where even young people valued obedience and Christian virtue, there wouldn't be much of a place for music centered around rebellion. For that matter, if our common ancestors never fell from grace, what place would any form of rebellion have in a perfect world? The fact that the Church exists means rebellion must also exist, and even if most of the world were Catholic, there would still be people rejecting Christianity in various ways. So I'm sure we'd still have black metal. Maybe its message would be more Catholic, or maybe it would be all the more anti-Catholic.

In the greater scheme of things, my point is that music (along with all forms of art) are created works which reflect their human maker, and every artist is influenced by artists who went before them along with the culture and society they find themselves in. Likewise, children bear the image of their parents who created them, along with their grandparents and great-grandparents. And since we, as human begins, bear the image of our divine Creator, everything we make that is truely creative also bears our Creator's image (regardless of any specific artist's beliefs). Ergo, inasmuch black metal is creative, the genre would become all the more innovative at the hands of artists who are consciously expecting our divine Maker's creativity to be at work through their music.

That's the basic theory, which can be applied to metal music, architecture, whatever.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Winchester' date='08 September 2009 - 05:51 PM' timestamp='1252446681' post='1963478']
And the no "black metal" argument only makes the appeal of everyone being Catholic all the stronger. Like death metal and any music out of Sweden, it would be better if it had never been.

[/quote]Black metal is Norwegian.

Duh.

Edited by Varg