An Old School Catholic Message Board

Being Religious

Resurrexi

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Selah' post='1949962' date='Aug 16 2009, 01:36 AM']Why is it important to convert, though? Why is it so important that a complete stranger believe the same thing you do?[/quote]

It's not about them believing what we believe, it's about both of us believing Catholicism. I'm not relevant to other people's lives. Jesus is.

Anyway ;)

After thinking it through, I did vote "yes" three times. I agree that religion doesn't seem to fit everybody. And that people can be happy while not religious, and reach heaven while not being Catholic.

However, I also honestly believe that Catholicism is the surest way to happiness in both this life and the next. And I would like everybody to be as happy as I am. Therefor, I would like everybody to be Catholics - understanding, thinking Catholics who are enjoying their faith.

[quote]It's not about them believing what we believe, it's about both of us believing Catholicism. I'm not relevant to other people's lives. Jesus is.[/quote]

I was responding to something Rex said. Forgive me if I came across as confusing.

[quote name='Selah' post='1949962' date='Aug 15 2009, 06:36 PM']Why is it important to convert, though? Why is it so important that a complete stranger believe the same thing you do?[/quote]

because we love everyone and want no one to be in hell. we want everyone to go to heaven. so why try to show them the way, to get into heave, thus being christian and believing what we believe in. we care about everyone's eternal soul. why shouldn't we, why shouldn't everyone?

I would love all Protestants to become Catholic. The point I was trying to make is if you can only evangelize to one person, and the choice is someone who is un-baptized/un-churched, or a person who was validly baptized in the Protestant faith, I think our focus should be on the former rather than the latter. As long as there are un-baptized among us, why should be actively try to convert Protestants? I was thinking more along the lines of triage.

[quote]because we love everyone and want no one to be in hell[/quote]

I have to say...and I mean this with all my heart, but that is incredibly noble and kindhearted of you :)

[quote name='Selah' post='1948989' date='Aug 14 2009, 05:44 PM']"Religion is for people who are scared of hell. Spirituality is for people who have been through hell" - Liza Minelli

The more I grow, the more I am beginning to realize that Spirituality is far more important than Religious Dogma.[/quote]
I like that quote.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1950630' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:03 PM']I would love all Protestants to become Catholic. The point I was trying to make is if you can only evangelize to one person, and the choice is someone who is un-baptized/un-churched, or a person who was validly baptized in the Protestant faith, I think our focus should be on the former rather than the latter. As long as there are un-baptized among us, why should be actively try to convert Protestants? I was thinking more along the lines of triage.[/quote]
What about the many Catholics who have fallen away from the Church?

Vincent Vega

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1950630' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:03 PM']I would love all Protestants to become Catholic. The point I was trying to make is if you can only evangelize to one person, and the choice is someone who is un-baptized/un-churched, or a person who was validly baptized in the Protestant faith, I think our focus should be on the former rather than the latter. As long as there are un-baptized among us, why should be actively try to convert Protestants? I was thinking more along the lines of triage.[/quote]
This.

Whose soul is (or would appear to be) in more danger - the Atheist's or the Methodist's?

Edited by USAirwaysIHS

Maximilianus

[quote name='Selah' post='1948989' date='Aug 14 2009, 04:44 PM']"Religion is for people who are scared of hell. Spirituality is for people who have been through hell" - Liza Minelli

The more I grow, the more I am beginning to realize that Spirituality is far more important than Religious Dogma.[/quote]

"Do you know what religion is? It is a school in which every soul must be trained, smoothed and polished by the Holy Spirit, who acts as a physician to our souls until, well smoothed and polished, they can be united and joined to the will of God. . .Religion is an infirmary for the spiritually sick, who wish to be cured and must therefore undergo the pains of surgery." -Padre Pio

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1950983' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:12 AM']This.

Whose soul is (or would appear to be) in more danger - the Atheist's or the Methodist's?[/quote]

We cannot judge which soul is in more danger since we are we are not able to judge invincible ignorance in other persons.

If neither is invincibly ignorant of the truth of the Catholic religion, then both are in extremely great danger.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Selah' post='1950658' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:59 PM']I have to say...and I mean this with all my heart, but that is incredibly noble and kindhearted of you :)[/quote]

:D thanks

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rachael' date='16 August 2009 - 10:29 PM' timestamp='1250479758' post='1950933']

What about the many Catholics who have fallen away from the Church?
[/quote]

If I could, I'd round them all up, and put them in a re-education camp.

From the Latin Church's [i]Catechism[/i]: "2095 The theological virtues of faith, hope, and charity inform and give life to the moral virtues. Thus charity leads us to render to God what we as creatures owe him in all justice. The [i]virtue of religion[/i] disposes us to have this attitude."

Marie-Therese

This might be parsing semantics, but I think there is a much greater value in [i]having[/i] religion than in [i]being[/i] religious. Does that make sense?

Having religion is to base your life and actions on your faith. Being religious, to me, is more indicative of an outward, visible practice, which to me smacks a bit of Pharisee-ism. Not that anyone who practices their religion is like a pharisee...on the contrary. However, I think that when one becomes enrapt in the outward manifestations of religion then one loses the tie between ritual and the faith behind it.

Like I said, that might be parsing semantics, but I think it is, at least to me, an important distinction.