An Old School Catholic Message Board

Being Religious

Resurrexi

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1949223' date='Aug 14 2009, 09:16 PM']To me "I desire everyone to be Catholic" and "I think everyone should be Catholic" mean about the same thing. Perhaps I should have used the former for this poll.[/quote]
Maybe I was just splitting hairs.
Long day.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1949226' date='Aug 14 2009, 10:19 PM']I'm not sure what you are asking.

I do think that those can attain to salvation who through no fault of their own do not know the Gospel of Christ or His Church, yet sincerely seek God and moved by grace strive by their deeds to do His will as it is known to them through the dictates of conscience.

Have you read [url="http://www.ewtn.com/library/CURIA/RATZCONS.HTM"][i]Conscience and Truth[/i][/url] by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger?[/quote]

I'm just kind of curious Rexi. What do you think will happen to me in the next life?

I won't be offended by the answer if it's hell.

Edited by Hassan

Although I will think it's unjust.

I mean I have a great many flaws. I can be quick to anger, manipulative and cold. Sometimes I partake in gossip. I've blasphemed. I drink too much sometimes.

But I also have good parts. I mean I've tried to live my life honestly and improve my bad qualities as best I can, even if I often relapse. :idontknow:

[quote name='Selah' post='1949228' date='Aug 14 2009, 09:21 PM']I'm asking why Catholicism is the only way :D[/quote]

Jesus said that He is [b]the[/b]* way, and [b]the[/b]* truth, and [b]the[/b]* life, and that no-one comes to the Father except through Him. I believe that Jesus is God Himself, and that the Church which He founded is the Catholic Church. This might not convince you (or very many other people) that Catholicism is the true religion to which God desires that all men belong, but it does convince me.

However, as I said before, I do believe that a man who is ignorant of the Gospel of Christ and of Christ's Church, but seeks the truth and does the will of God in accordance with his understanding of it, can be saved.

*The definite article is indeed present in the original Greek: "ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ ὁδὸς καὶ ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ἡ ζωή· οὐδεὶς ἔρχεται πρὸς τὸν πατέρα εἰ μὴ δι᾽ ἐμοῦ."

[quote name='Hassan' post='1949234' date='Aug 14 2009, 09:27 PM']I'm just kind of curious Rexi. What do you think will happen to me in the next life?

I won't be offended by the answer if it's hell.[/quote]

I have no idea what you will do from now until the day you die. You could very well return to full communion with the Church between now and that that day; you could even accept the Catholic religion and be absolved of your sins on you deathbed.

Even if I did know every thought, word, action, and omission of yours from now until the day you die, Jesus Christ, not I, will be your judge.

[quote name='Selah' post='1949263' date='Aug 14 2009, 09:52 PM']I agree, Rexi :D Only God knows where we will wnd up.[/quote]

Except TTM.

We ALL know where she's goin! <_<

I feel this is futile. Bonnie is gone :sadder:

I don't know if I'd want everyone to be Catholic, but I would like it if my family came back to the faith. I don't think we should be about proselytizing. I prefer evangelization.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1949440' date='Aug 15 2009, 02:06 AM']I don't know if I'd want everyone to be Catholic, but I would like it if my family came back to the faith. I don't think we should be about proselytizing. I prefer evangelization.[/quote]

Evangelizing is proselytizing.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1949444' date='Aug 15 2009, 02:11 AM']Evangelizing is proselytizing.[/quote]

Not if you are evangelizing to the unchurched. I think there are enough of those around that we don't need to actively try to convert non-Catholic Christians to Catholicism (it would of course be nice if they returned the same favor to us). Those who seek us out, is a different matter.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1949597' date='Aug 15 2009, 11:03 AM']Not if you are evangelizing to the unchurched. I think there are enough of those around that we don't need to actively try to convert non-Catholic Christians to Catholicism (it would of course be nice if they returned the same favor to us). Those who seek us out, is a different matter.[/quote]

I completely disagree with you. We should proselytize all non-Catholics, especially our Protestant brothers and sisters.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1949751' date='Aug 15 2009, 03:46 PM']I completely disagree with you. We should proselytize all non-Catholics, especially our Protestant brothers and sisters.[/quote]
idswtc

I think we should [i]trty[/i] to proselytize all non-Catholics. If they refuse, that's their loss.

When did I ever say that we should use coercion to force anyone to convert?

The word [i]proselytize [/i]itself means to "try to to convert another".

Why is it important to convert, though? Why is it so important that a complete stranger believe the same thing you do?