An Old School Catholic Message Board

Being Religious

Resurrexi

54 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

"Religion is for people who are scared of hell. Spirituality is for people who have been through hell" - Liza Minelli

The more I grow, the more I am beginning to realize that Spirituality is far more important than Religious Dogma.

[quote name='Selah' post='1948989' date='Aug 14 2009, 04:44 PM']"Religion is for people who are scared of hell. Spirituality is for people who have been through hell" - Liza Minelli

The more I grow, the more I am beginning to realize that Spirituality is far more important than Religious Dogma.[/quote]

I've never understood what being spiritual means. I don't dismiss it, I just genuinely don't know what people mean when they say that. Unless it's used in the sense of trying to appreciate the beauty and goodness in the world.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1948987' date='Aug 14 2009, 05:42 PM']:detective:[/quote]

:idontknow:

It depends on the person. I shouldn't but that doesn't mean it can't be a positive force for others.

Regarding being a specific religion there is no need for them to be Catholic. If the religion, Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism whatever helps them be a better human being. Helps them have a positive impact on the world, then I'm glad they have it.

If it makes them narrow minded, have a burning desire to censor irreverent or heterodox opinions, puritanical, intrude on the private happiness of others et cetera then no. Although that applies to all rigid ideologies.

If it's the choice of someone to be religious or not, I say that not everyone has to be religious. Even if people choose to be non-religious just out of spite, that's still their choice.

I believe that everyone should certainly be Catholic (which [i]per se [/i]means that one is religious and monotheistic) because "the Church, now sojourning on earth as an exile, is necessary for salvation. Christ, present to us in His Body, which is the Church, is the one Mediator and the unique way of salvation. In explicit terms He Himself affirmed the necessity of faith and baptism and thereby affirmed also the necessity of the Church, for through baptism as through a door men enter the Church. Whosoever, therefore, knowing that the Catholic Church was made necessary by Christ, would refuse to enter or to remain in it, could not be saved." (Second Vatican Ecumenical Council,[i] Lumen Gentium[/i], 14)

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1949156' date='Aug 14 2009, 08:12 PM']I believe that everyone should certainly be Catholic (which [i]per se [/i]means that one is religious and monotheistic) because "the Church, now sojourning on earth as an exile, is necessary for salvation. Christ, present to us in His Body, which is the Church, is the one Mediator and the unique way of salvation. In explicit terms He Himself affirmed the necessity of faith and baptism and thereby affirmed also the necessity of the Church, for through baptism as through a door men enter the Church. Whosoever, therefore, knowing that the Catholic Church was made necessary by Christ, would refuse to enter or to remain in it, could not be saved." (Second Vatican Ecumenical Council,[i] Lumen Gentium[/i], 14)[/quote]

You know. Wittgenstein said towards the end of the Tractatus, "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

I, in some odd and perverse way, dig your militant orthodoxy. Or at least I respect it to a degree. However you should keep Wittgenstein's point in mind sometimes.

I honestly don't see how a Catholic could say that he doesn't want everyone to be Catholic. Is it not our job as Catholics to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ to all people?

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1949179' date='Aug 14 2009, 08:43 PM']If God doesn't force everyone to be Catholic, why should I?[/quote]

This thread has nothing to do with coercing others to become Catholic.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1949178' date='Aug 14 2009, 09:43 PM']I honestly don't see how a Catholic could say that he doesn't want everyone to be Catholic. Is it not our job as Catholics to spread the Good News of Jesus Christ to all people?[/quote]

Wittgenstein also said (approx) "If want to know if someone is religious, don't speak to them, watch them".

You don't just promote a lifestyle and faith, you make a number of assertive propositions without and demonstrable foundation.

Quoting documents over and over again does not make them more and more true. But this seems to be your plan for convincing others you are correct.

:idontknow:

[quote name='Selah' post='1949181' date='Aug 14 2009, 09:45 PM']What's the purpose then? :huh:[/quote]

It has no purpose, his point is an absurdist one :french: