An Old School Catholic Message Board

Who Is Your Favorite Catholic Author?

Chestertonian

Chestertonian

I'll start

Nonfiction: GK Chesterton
Fiction: Ann Rice

Edited by Chestertonian

[quote name='Chestertonian' post='1948792' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:53 AM']I'll start

Nonfiction: GK Chesterton
Fiction: Ann Rice[/quote]

I can only speak to non fiction

Ratzinger, Anscombe and Dummett

TeresaBenedicta

Oh...

Favorite?

Like, I have to [i]choose[/i]?!

Let's see.... fiction first.

I think I might have to echo the original poster's choice of Anne Rice. Her writing is EXCELLENT and of all fiction authors, she's probably the one whom I have read the most works by and come back to read them again and again. I have other novels that I might place over hers, but overall, she gets most of my favorite novels.

Non-fiction... now this is very difficult. I might have to say Lewis. Although, I really enjoy reading Ratzinger as well. But I've read more of Lewis than Ratzinger. Gah! I don't know!

Chestertonian

[quote name='Hassan' post='1948798' date='Aug 14 2009, 11:00 AM']I can only speak to non fiction

Ratzinger, Anscombe and Dummett[/quote]

Didn't Anscombe debate CS Lewis, or am I thinking of someone else?

Chestertonian

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1949003' date='Aug 14 2009, 04:01 PM']Well, he's not Catholic, he's Anglican, but C.S. Lewis.[/quote]

His fiction or non-fiction?

[quote name='Chestertonian' post='1949322' date='Aug 14 2009, 10:55 PM']Didn't Anscombe debate CS Lewis, or am I thinking of someone else?[/quote]

Yes, over his chapter in "Miricles" where he claimed to refute naturalism.

I think the title is now "The Cardinal Difficulty of Naturalism" or something like that. He revised it after their debate. And that was when she was still a student.

I'm actually excited that someone else here had heard of her :D

I also should have included Chesterton.

Edited by Hassan

Chestertonian

[quote name='Hassan' post='1949326' date='Aug 14 2009, 09:59 PM']Yes, over his chapter in "Miricles" where he claimed to refute naturalism.

I think the title is now "The Cardinal Difficulty of Naturalism" or something like that. He revised it after their debate. And that was when she was still a student.[/quote]

Yeah, that's pretty impressive considering CS Lewis was one of the more formidable debaters of his day.

[quote name='Chestertonian' post='1949341' date='Aug 15 2009, 12:30 AM']Yeah, that's pretty impressive considering CS Lewis was one of the more formidable debaters of his day.[/quote]

I think Anscombe was a pretty impressive person in general. Her article protesting Oxford presenting Truman with an honary PhD turned my political thinking upside down in many ways.

I think it is a terrible shame. I don't have much respect for most of the popular Christian apologists today. Yet it seems that they are fameous while Anscombe is unknown to most of the Catholic Community. That is understandable as most of her work was in a very narrow field of Analytic philosophy and as Wittgenstein's literary agent , but a lot of her popular writting is both brilliant and accessable to general audiences.

Michael Dummett too.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1949443' date='Aug 15 2009, 02:11 AM']I think it is a terrible shame. I don't have much respect for most of the popular Christian apologists today.[/quote]

:yes:

Pop apologetics can be incredibly annoying.

mohammed....... oh wait..... um...... Louis De Wohl's pretty good.
then again i haven't read a whole lot a catholic books.

i just have a hard time picking up a religious book when there's a sci-fi novel laying right there.
ya know what i mean?