An Old School Catholic Message Board

Francisco Franco

Resurrexi

[quote name='goldenchild17' date='20 August 2009 - 09:49 PM' timestamp='1250822970' post='1953590']
Fair enough. If thats the conclusion you come to I'm not going to take it any further. I completely disagree I think he was a great man in his times and was completely devoted to the Church (based on records we have of what he said on the matter). Its possible he made a few mistakes (yet no one here has been able to pinpoint exactly what those were and if those can be proven to be attributed to him and not someone under him), but I think he was a great man and a great leader and nothing in this thread (or in my reading) has shown me otherwise.
[/quote]

I am amazed than anyone can defend Franco, anyone who lives in the USA and is sheltered by its liberties.

However, I will say that the regime of the Generalissimo put back the Catholic cause in the US for a long, long time. Catholics had to defend Franco to [i]everyone.[/i] Protestants relished the brute. Any attempt to assert that Catholicism would defend human liberties if it became to major religion was countered by, "Yes,but what about Franco?" Once again, I come from this time, and distinctly observed the damage he did in the US. Having Pius on his side didn't help.

People who think that it's OK to suppress liberties in order to be able to walk down the street at 3 AM don't understand the concept on individual liberty. How nice that everyone goes to mass. What choice do they have?

I used to love watching the old Chevy Chase weekend updates on SNL . . . "Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."