An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Consequences Of Once Saved Always Saved

Katholikos

thessalonian

[quote name='iheartjp2' post='1945514' date='Aug 10 2009, 02:37 PM']That comeback is sort of self-defeating. If your salvation has been secured eternally by "accepting Jesus Christ as your personal lord and savior", yet when someone does sin, they weren't saved in the first place, how can it provide the security that it claims to give? :wacko:[/quote]

Bingo.

And also many times you hear the radio guys telling them that if they don't have this level of faith or their not reading their bibles every day or they aren't going to church then they might not be saved to begin with. Then there are those who aren't sure of their salvation and some say then they aren't really saved and others say they are saved but they haven't put their trust in it. And then there are those who think they are saved that are said to be just decieving themselves. In the end it is just a confused mess.

thessalonian

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1946091' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:10 AM']:yes:

I attended a Baptist church for two years and there was an altar call every week.[/quote]

Question for ya, where are altar calls without baptisms in the Bible?

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1946107' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:02 AM']Question for ya, where are altar calls without baptisms in the Bible?[/quote]
Well, in the situation I was part of, altar calls were not reserved solely for people who wanted to be "saved" but for anyone who "felt the pull of the Spirit" or who simply needed prayer. In the case of a new believer, baptism followed soon afterwards, typically in the presence of the entire congregation.

Had I actually joined the church, I would have had to be baptized again, because my infant baptism (as a Presbyterian) was not a "believer's baptism" and so was not effectual.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1946137' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:09 PM']Well, in the situation I was part of, altar calls were not reserved solely for people who wanted to be "saved" but for anyone who "felt the pull of the Spirit" or who simply needed prayer. In the case of a new believer, baptism followed soon afterwards, typically in the presence of the entire congregation.

Had I actually joined the church, I would have had to be baptized again, because my infant baptism (as a Presbyterian) was not a "believer's baptism" and so was not effectual.[/quote]
That's how it was where I was, too. The person had to have been immersed in a "believer's baptism" for to "count".

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1946089' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:54 AM']Really? I'm pretty sure all the ones I've attended had altar calls. Every week.[/quote]

The "emerging" type of Baptist/Vineyard/non-denominational churches (there isn't a whole lot of difference in most cases aside from just being affiliated) aren't much into altar calls. That's old school Baptist. Instead, we had weekly Communion, recited the Apostle's Creed, and responsorial Psalms. Those commandments against drinking and dancing are also out the window. My Baptist friends arguably drink and dance more than many of my Catholic friends, who can be downright puritanical. Being in a culturally Catholic region may have some influence because most of these Baptists were raised Catholic. I can't speak for young adult Baptists in the Carolinas or Alabama... wouldn't be surprised if they are a little more open about some things that their parents abhorred.

That said, within the spectrum of Protestantism, their theology is very much on the orthodox end.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

Archaeology cat

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1946176' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:53 PM']The "emerging" type of Baptist/Vineyard/non-denominational churches (there isn't a whole lot of difference in most cases aside from just being affiliated) aren't much into altar calls. That's old school Baptist. Instead, we had weekly Communion, recited the Apostle's Creed, and responsorial Psalms. Those commandments against drinking and dancing are also out the window. My Baptist friends arguably drink and dance more than many of my Catholic friends, who can be downright puritanical. Being in a culturally Catholic region may have some influence because most of these Baptists were raised Catholic. I can't speak for young adult Baptists in the Carolinas or Alabama... wouldn't be surprised if they are a little more open about some things that their parents abhorred.

That said, within the spectrum of Protestantism, their theology is very much on the orthodox end.[/quote]
Wow. I can remember an occasional responsorial Psalm, but Communion was quarterly. Still is at that congregation. And I'd be surprised if they didn't still have altar calls there, though the pastor is my age. I can't see the older people in the church allowing such a change. ;)

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1946137' date='Aug 11 2009, 12:09 PM']Well, in the situation I was part of, altar calls were not reserved solely for people who wanted to be "saved" but for anyone who "felt the pull of the Spirit" or who simply needed prayer. In the case of a new believer, baptism followed soon afterwards, typically in the presence of the entire congregation.[/quote]

Ditto for the most part, my Baptism was delayed by [b]months[/b] because they decided to go to one baptism ceremony each financial quarter.

As they got more involved in the Emergent Church movement, they've cut Communion down to a handful of times a year in the Contemporary Service under the arguments that "familiarity breeds contempt" and "new people don't know what it means" and "It's not really needed."

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1946091' date='Aug 11 2009, 10:10 AM']:yes:

I attended a Baptist church for two years and there was an altar call every week.[/quote]

Yeah, I agree that it's pretty old-school, though. Our Baptist church didn't have an altar call in the whole time we were there (like 12 years...)

There are more than 250 different kinds of Baptists -- not counting the Independent Baptists, and growing -- all with different beliefs and practices. One belief is constant among Baptists: baptism of believers only, by immersion only. Southern Baptists are OSAS believers. There is an altar call at the conclusion of every Sunday service.

Edited by Katholikos

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1946199' date='Aug 11 2009, 02:36 PM']Wow. I can remember an occasional responsorial Psalm, but Communion was quarterly. Still is at that congregation. And I'd be surprised if they didn't still have altar calls there, though the pastor is my age. I can't see the older people in the church allowing such a change. ;)[/quote]

Nope. It comes from newer congregations that attract younger believers by being relevant to their lives, challenging people to live out their Baptismal call faithfully, and recovering the spirit and practice of Christian traditions.

Sound anything like the religious orders that are growing today?

Edited by LouisvilleFan

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1946319' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:01 PM']One belief is constant among Baptists: baptism of believers only, by immersion only.[/quote]

There are Baptists who believe Baptism is valid before the age of reason. Typically they are the ones who are strong on covenant theology, like [url="http://www.apuritansmind.com/Baptism/MyRetraction.htm"]this guy[/url].

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1946319' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:01 PM']Southern Baptists are OSAS believers.[/quote]

Many, and maybe most are, but not all of them.

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1946319' date='Aug 11 2009, 05:01 PM']There is an altar call at the conclusion of every Sunday service.[/quote]

This is definitely not true, as I and a few others here have already attested. In my experience, at least, they were definitely Southern Baptist, affiliated with the SBC.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='Katholikos' post='1946001' date='Aug 11 2009, 02:22 AM']OSAS is possibly the most pernicious doctrine ever devised by man. When did it originate?

QUOTE: Martin Luther: "Let Your Sins Be Strong" (excerpt)

13. . . . It suffices that through God's glory we have recognized the Lamb who takes away the
sin of the world. [color="#FF0000"]No sin can separate us from Him, even if we were to kill or commit adultery thousands of times each day[/color].

Written on the day of the Feast of St. Peter the Apostle, 1521 END QUOTE

This concept was refined by John Calvin in his doctrine of the "Perseverance of the Saints."

This killer's pastor taught OSAS, and he believed it. He expected to die and wake up in heaven after killing three people he didn't even know. His intention was to kill even more. And he thought "That's okay, I've been saved."

There is no limit to the bizarre doctrines a man with a Bible can invent when he rejects the guidance of the Church founded by Christ for the salvation of the world.

So grateful to be Catholic! Katholikos
former Southern Baptist, agnostic, atheist[/quote]

[quote name='Hassan' post='1946005' date='Aug 11 2009, 02:26 AM']I'm sorry. Drawing a causal line between a theological psincipal and this man's horrid crimes is just absurd. It ignores the numerous obvious and much more relevent factors at work. I assure you that plenty of Catholics have through history managed to justify wicked crimes with their faith.[/quote]

I don't see how Katholikos is drawing a casual line. :mellow: Rather it seems he is pointing out the dangers of personal interpretation in the Bible and the wisdom in a Church to guide Christ's flock on earth. Hardly "casual."

I don't deny that many Catholics at one time or another have tried to justify their evil actions through religion however that doesn't mean they soundly justified their actions.

"Once saved always saved" people can soundly justify their evil actions as they are going on personal interpretation and don't have an encompassing Church to guide them.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/coldplay/track/we+never+change"]Coldplay - We Never Change[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Sorry if I offended you, Louisville. Perhaps I should have said ". . . the Southern Baptist organization I belonged to" -- each person or pastor is ultimately his own authority. It has been some time since I was a Southern Baptist. All Protestantism is a 'man and his Bible, do-it-yourself' religion.

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1946107' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:02 AM']Question for ya, where are altar calls without baptisms in the Bible?[/quote]

Altar calls were popularized the 19th century. I researched their history myself once upon a time.

[url="http://www.biblicalstudies.com/bstudy/ecclesiology/altar.htm"]http://www.biblicalstudies.com/bstudy/ecclesiology/altar.htm[/url]