An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bull Riding, Base Jumping, Extreme Sports In General

txdinghysailor

Seems this is one of those judgment call things with a certain amount of "gray area" involved.
The Church has always taught that it is a sin against the fifth commandment to needlessly risk one's life or others by such things as reckless driving. But then reckless driving endangers others lives besides one's own.

I've never done anything really "extreme," but I've engaged in my share of sports in which an accident could result in death or disability (mountain-biking, whitewater paddling, etc.).
As has been pointed out, almost all activity involves some degree of risk. If we avoided physical risk altogether, we'd rarely venture far from the bed, and would probably lead very boring lives.

Regarding dangerous sports or stunts, it would involve exactly how great the amount of risk was, and a realistic assessment of one's abilities. Whether one has family or other dependents would probably also enter as a factor.
Many non-sinful sports involve some degree of risk. If the risk of death (based on one's skill level.etc)) is comparatively small, and there is some actual good or enjoyment to be gained from the experience, there's probably no sin.

If the risk of death is extremely high, or if the activity really has no purpose other than to toy with death, then it's probably morally best not to do it.
One shouldn't engage in some stunt that is essentially the equivalent of playing Russian roulette.

When I think about dividing lines, I think there is a big difference between scuba diving and cave diving or skydiving and base jumping from a high rise in the middle of a city. Skiing or snow mobiling in bounds in areas cleared of avalanche dangers, and trying to make fresh tracks out of bounds. How about clearing roadside bombs in Kandahar or playing with home made bombs for fun.

everything youlisted therre is extremely dangerous by the way. i would say cave diving is much more risky than skydiving or base jumping.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1940203' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:35 PM']OK, pop quiz everyone:

What is the leading cause of death?

(I'll check back tomorrow to see if anyone posted the correct answer).[/quote]
Do you mean abortion?

You were unspecific in your question, so I will assume you mean among all humans in the US.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1940158' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:38 PM']I used to be a thrill seeker, and after I was almost killed, I have been forced to be somewhat more careful. Not that anyone would let me skydive, what with the crutch and all.[/quote]

I knew a guy with muscular dystrophy, in a wheelchair. He went skydiving all the time.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1940149' date='Aug 3 2009, 10:15 PM']Sorry to break it to you, but we're all pretty much in the same boat. Any of us could drop dead at any moment due to foreseeable or unforeseeable circumstances. That in and of itself does not absolve you of the responsibility for prudential management of the resources available to you -- your time, talent, and treasure. None of us know what tomorrow brings; we are responsible for how we handle what we know right now.[/quote]
Yes, I know. I was just stating the why I do such things, as it is a bit of a motivator for me personally.

So what is so wrong about thrill-seeking?

I have to see anyone come up with a valid argument against it.

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1940330' date='Aug 4 2009, 08:59 AM']I knew a guy with muscular dystrophy, in a wheelchair. He went skydiving all the time.[/quote]

He didn't have to deal with my over-protective husband.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1939707' date='Aug 3 2009, 12:21 PM']Seriously? :rolleyes:[/quote]
I really didn't think anyone was going to reply to what I was saying :P I was half kidding.

The reason why I made the comment was when I announced to some people that I was joining the military I recieved comments like, "Why don't you just run with a knife?" "Why would you want to get yourself killed?" My reply: "I could be shot walking home today."

My half serious part with that comment was just that. You never know when you time is so you really can't base your life off of when you are going to die. As far as risky business, be safe in doing so: do your checks, have a safety plans, so forth.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1939747' date='Aug 3 2009, 02:06 PM'][color="#0000FF"]Cmom
I think this depends on your neighborhood.[/color][/quote]
True...

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1940203' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:35 PM']OK, pop quiz everyone:

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1940213' date='Aug 3 2009, 11:44 PM']That's easy... heart disease.[/quote]

I *think* it is motor vehicle accidents. At least that is what they told us in school. Or it is the leading cause of death in young people.

Heart Disease is the number one killer of women. That I do know :)

Lilllabettt

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1940203' date='Aug 4 2009, 12:35 AM']OK, pop quiz everyone:

The leading cause of death is the only cause of death: lack of oxygen in the brain.

[quote name='Lilllabettt' post='1940521' date='Aug 4 2009, 02:10 PM']The leading cause of death is the only cause of death: lack of oxygen in the brain.[/quote]

Smartypants

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1940321' date='Aug 4 2009, 08:27 AM']Do you mean abortion?

You were unspecific in your question, so I will assume you mean among all humans in the US.[/quote]

I was talking worldwide, throughout all of time.

Although your answer came closest.

I'll give some more time for some more answers.

Edited by Norseman82

Leading cause of death: sin.

[quote name='rachael' post='1940354' date='Aug 4 2009, 11:52 AM']Yes, I know. I was just stating the why I do such things, as it is a bit of a motivator for me personally.[/quote]
The way that your initial statement read to me is that you think your life is worth less because of your epilepsy. I fervently hope that is not the case, because I think you are a wonderfully talented and beautiful young woman, and I would hate to see you risking your life for a cheap thrill because epilepsy could take you at any moment.