An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bull Riding, Base Jumping, Extreme Sports In General

txdinghysailor

[quote name='rachael' post='1939680' date='Aug 3 2009, 09:47 AM']i still want to go skydiving. :unsure:[/quote]

You and I are very different people.

I see nothing wrong with it. Everyone is different and everyone likes different things. I will someday go skydiving. Who knows. I like the thrills.

You know, walking down the street can get you killed...is it a sin?

[quote name='picchick' post='1939700' date='Aug 3 2009, 12:06 PM']You know, walking down the street can get you killed...is it a sin?[/quote]
Seriously? :rolleyes:

The risk is, of course, much different. If you don't check your shoelaces before you go for a walk, the worst that might happen is a broken wrist (or maybe a hip). Not likely death.

Forget to check your skydiving rig, and it's a very different story.

Knowingly engaging in a potentially deadly activity, done primarily (if not exclusively) for the thrill you get out of it, without regard for the consequences of your actions ... it is not necessarily sinful, but it could well be selfish. Go much farther down that road and you could well be entering "sin" territory.

Lilllabettt

When I was in the convent, I was taught that it can be a sin against the fifth commandment to endanger your life for no good reason. I guess there's a debate about what is "no good reason."
A thrill, I personally don't think that's good enough. Of course, it depends on what is producing the thrill. Riding a rollercoaster gives people a thrill, but it's very unlikely you'll get killed doing it. Doing crazier and crazier stuff, (crazy meaning "more likely to get me killed") for an increae in adrenalin ... doesn't seem kosher to me.

Life is a gift, and if we're carless with a gift, it shows disrespect for the gift and the giver. If somebody gave you a priceless vase for your birthday, you wouldn't worry about it so much that you'd pack it away and never look at it. But you wouldn't use it as a football in a game of keep-away, either.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1939242' date='Aug 2 2009, 08:32 PM']If it is within your physical capabilities, and you don't have dependents who are financially dependent on your continuing to breathe, not a sin.[/quote]
Yeah this.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1939707' date='Aug 3 2009, 12:21 PM']Knowingly engaging in a potentially deadly activity, done primarily (if not exclusively) for the thrill you get out of it, without regard for the consequences of your actions ... it is not necessarily sinful, but it could well be selfish. Go much farther down that road and you could well be entering "sin" territory.[/quote]
and this.

cmotherofpirl

Picchick
You know, walking down the street can get you killed...is it a sin?

Terra Firma
Seriously?
The risk is, of course, much different. If you don't check your shoelaces before you go for a walk, the worst that might happen is a broken wrist (or maybe a hip). Not likely death.

[color="#0000FF"]Cmom
I think this depends on your neighborhood.[/color]

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1939747' date='Aug 3 2009, 01:06 PM'][color="#0000FF"]Cmom
I think this depends on your neighborhood.[/color][/quote]

Yep. I also live in one of those neighborhoods. We haven't had a stabbing yet this month, but it's been too hot.

txdinghysailor

Well I love doing dangerous stuff to get the adrenaline going, so I guess I'm just a terrible sinner.... lol

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1939610' date='Aug 3 2009, 06:52 AM']What do you pull backflips off of? And don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you, like, I do crazy stuff too, but it's just some people don't get it.[/quote]

50 ft ropeswing. off a cliff, over land then out into the water.

also i just got back from cliff jumping.:)

txdinghysailor

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1939855' date='Aug 3 2009, 05:34 PM']50 ft ropeswing. off a cliff, over land then out into the water.

also i just got back from cliff jumping.:)[/quote]

oh right, that sounds like fun. ;)

I went cliff jumping in France. Tons of fun. 40-45 ft cliffs into the ocean. Best part was trying to climb back up the cliffs with the waves breaking over you and alternately trying to pull you away and then smash you into the barnacled rocks. :) Tons of fun...

[quote name='Selah' post='1939619' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:34 AM']As long as you are being safe and not doing anything stupid, like, say, parachuting with a weight instead of a parachute, it should be fine :idontknow:[/quote]

Is that a bad idea? :unsure:

sounds awesome. these ones were just into glacial river. small deep area to land in, highest you could go from was abut 25-30ft up i think. i did. otherwise you have to clear a huge gap and land in a really smll area to go higher.,
man my first jump was a dive and i havent dived from that high without it being from a ropeswing(which i am really good at doing from like 30 35 ft up.) so i kinda messed it up and over rotated, almost did back flop.

my worst wipeout was trying to do a double sideflip(like a cartwheel) from about 25 30 ft up on a ropeswing and way overrotating onto my face. ive got a video of me doing the same thing with a double backflip on FB if you wanna see.

txdinghysailor

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1939872' date='Aug 3 2009, 05:47 PM']sounds awesome. these ones were just into glacial river. small deep area to land in, highest you could go from was abut 25-30ft up i think. i did. otherwise you have to clear a huge gap and land in a really smll area to go higher.,
man my first jump was a dive and i havent dived from that high without it being from a ropeswing(which i am really good at doing from like 30 35 ft up.) so i kinda messed it up and over rotated, almost did back flop.

my worst wipeout was trying to do a double sideflip(like a cartwheel) from about 25 30 ft up on a ropeswing and way overrotating onto my face. ive got a video of me doing the same thing with a double backflip on FB if you wanna see.[/quote]

Sweet yeah I wanna see! I'm not that big into flips and stuff. I mostly just mountain bike and rock climb.