An Old School Catholic Message Board

Bull Riding, Base Jumping, Extreme Sports In General

txdinghysailor

txdinghysailor

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that doing sports that are necessarily dangerous and life-threatening is a sin?

If it is within your physical capabilities, and you don't have dependents who are financially dependent on your continuing to breathe, not a sin.

txdinghysailor

[quote name='Selah' post='1939281' date='Aug 2 2009, 10:19 PM']No. Why would it be?[/quote]

Some people I've talked to say it's bad to risk your life for something pointless.

regardless, i do it anyway. to some extent, extremely risky things can be to much and a bad idea. but otherwise its all good. i step off 50ft cliffs holding a rope in my hand, and pull backflips off te other end. its fun nd its dangerous, but so is life.

edit: to dinghysailor, if i didnt do the thing i wanted to do and didnt take risks, what life am i risking?

Edited by Jesus_lol

txdinghysailor

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1939572' date='Aug 3 2009, 05:54 AM']regardless, i do it anyway. to some extent, extremely risky things can be to much and a bad idea. but otherwise its all good. i step off 50ft cliffs holding a rope in my hand, and pull backflips off te other end. its fun nd its dangerous, but so is life.

edit: to dinghysailor, if i didnt do the thing i wanted to do and didnt take risks, what life am i risking?[/quote]

What do you pull backflips off of? And don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you, like, I do crazy stuff too, but it's just some people don't get it.

[quote]Some people I've talked to say it's bad to risk your life for something pointless.[/quote]

As long as you are being safe and not doing anything stupid, like, say, parachuting with a weight instead of a parachute, it should be fine :idontknow:

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1939234' date='Aug 2 2009, 09:21 PM']Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that doing sports that are necessarily dangerous and life-threatening is a sin?[/quote]

I don't characterize extreme sports as being unsafe. If you know what you're doing and wear the right equipment properly, you're safer doing the activity than you are driving to and from it.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1939294' date='Aug 2 2009, 10:31 PM']Some people I've talked to say it's bad to risk your life for something pointless.[/quote]

I'd tell 'em that contraceptive sex is pointless.

[quote name='rachael' post='1939592' date='Aug 3 2009, 08:07 AM']i reeeeeeeeelly want to go skydiving.[/quote]
Been there, done that. It was OK.

To the OP ... I think in determining whether you should in any activity you take into account the purpose of the activity as well as extenuating circumstances such as one's own propensities, one's responsibilities, the inherent risk of the activity, the persons your activity might affect, and so on.

I don't believe that engaging in inherently dangerous activities is necessarily sinful, but I think it can be. To my view, the purpose for engaging in these sorts of activities is the adrenaline rush you get from doing it, as well as the accompanying emotional effects it has. There is pleasure involved in it, but it's pleasure tied to a physically risky activity. Doing something like this repeatedly without regard for personal well-being could be suicidal. I think you would be obligated to take appropriate safety measures, and to inform the appropriate parties (those who would be affected by your demise) about what you are considering BEFORE your decision.

[quote name='rachael' post='1939592' date='Aug 3 2009, 07:07 AM']i reeeeeeeeelly want to go skydiving.[/quote]

My dad thought it was really silly to jump out of a completely functioning airplane. He did that 3 times behind enemy lines, so I guess some would think that was really stupid. He also went out twice from planes that weren't going to be landing in the normal way. They put him in the Caterpillar Club.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1939665' date='Aug 3 2009, 12:21 PM']He did that 3 times behind enemy lines, so I guess some would think that was really stupid.[/quote]

Anybody who thinks that deserves to win a one-way no-return flight to North Korea.