An Old School Catholic Message Board

Trappists/trappistines

DevotedtoHim

sistersintigo

Sibling rivalry, it seems, is more what has hijacked this thread than order vs. order. The remark that the thread is older, certainly applies to the sibling rivalry bit. I do hope that the discerner who started the thread, sincerely asking about Cistercians and Trappists, got some help.
After all these centuries of revolution, war, and Vatican Councils, it is interesting today to see orders reaching out amicably to each other. Amongst the prolific writings of Trappist monk Thomas Merton is a Latin-to-English translation from Carthusian founder St. Bruno himself. It is not unusual for Carthusian communities uprooted and displaced by war to end up living in monasteries built by some other order. One good example is the French nuns who moved into a Cistercian French abbey at Nonenque, which is now a Chartreuse/charterhouse dedicated to Notre Dame du Precieux Sang. The Spanish foundation of Carthusian nuns, nearing its fiftieth anniversary, occupies a venerable and ancient Cistercian abbey in Valencian Spain, an area where Catalan and Basque as well as Castilian Spain is spoken. On the other hand, the ancient Charterhouse/"cartuja" of El Paular, in Madrid, is now the home of a Benedictine abbey whose very scholarly abbot, Dom Ildefonso M Gomez OSB, specializes in studies of...you guessed it...the Carthusian order.
Seriously, should I maybe start a fresh new sibling-rivalry warring-order -free thread about Cistercians of the Strict Observance?

[quote name='sistersintigo' date='22 March 2010 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1269293736' post='2077936']
Sibling rivalry, it seems, is more what has hijacked this thread than order vs. order. The remark that the thread is older, certainly applies to the sibling rivalry bit. I do hope that the discerner who started the thread, sincerely asking about Cistercians and Trappists, got some help.
After all these centuries of revolution, war, and Vatican Councils, it is interesting today to see orders reaching out amicably to each other. Amongst the prolific writings of Trappist monk Thomas Merton is a Latin-to-English translation from Carthusian founder St. Bruno himself. It is not unusual for Carthusian communities uprooted and displaced by war to end up living in monasteries built by some other order. One good example is the French nuns who moved into a Cistercian French abbey at Nonenque, which is now a Chartreuse/charterhouse dedicated to Notre Dame du Precieux Sang. The Spanish foundation of Carthusian nuns, nearing its fiftieth anniversary, occupies a venerable and ancient Cistercian abbey in Valencian Spain, an area where Catalan and Basque as well as Castilian Spain is spoken. On the other hand, the ancient Charterhouse/"cartuja" of El Paular, in Madrid, is now the home of a Benedictine abbey whose very scholarly abbot, Dom Ildefonso M Gomez OSB, specializes in studies of...you guessed it...the Carthusian order.
Seriously, should I maybe start a fresh new sibling-rivalry warring-order -free thread about Cistercians of the Strict Observance?
[/quote]

By all means feel free to start a new thread ... I don't know if you saw the thread that was opened a few weeks ago (see http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=103476&st=0 ) but opening a thread that is old gets to be a bit annoying; it can lead to going back and forth on an issue without realizing the original posting date.

You can always put a link in the new thread refering to the old.

Edited by cmariadiaz

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='cmariadiaz' date='22 March 2010 - 06:23 PM' timestamp='1269296614' post='2077962']
By all means feel free to start a new thread ... I don't know if you saw the thread that was opened a few weeks ago (see [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=103476&st=0"]http://www.phatmass....pic=103476&st=0[/url] ) but opening a thread that is old gets to be a bit annoying; it can lead to going back and forth on an issue without realizing the original posting date.

You can always put a link in the new thread refering to the old.
[/quote]

What?!!! I finally find an appropriate occasion to tell my stupid (and very old) Catholic joke--the only one I know, and you're going to stop the thread? Hmph. LOL

Maximilianus

The Trappist monastery here in GA is the [url="http://www.trappist.net/"]Monastery of the Holy Spirit[/url]. The founding monks came from Gethsemani in KY.
They sustain themselves by selling stained glass, bonzai trees, burial plots, media, confections and by holing retreats...no beer though.

brightsadness

[quote name='Maximilianus' date='23 March 2010 - 12:22 AM' timestamp='1269328954' post='2078226']
The Trappist monastery here in GA is the [url="http://www.trappist.net/"]Monastery of the Holy Spirit[/url]. The founding monks came from Gethsemani in KY.
They sustain themselves by selling stained glass, bonzai trees, burial plots, media, confections and by holing retreats...no beer though.

[/quote]

I have a stained glass piece, given by my Aunt, done by Fr. Philip Dehner, OCSO, RIP of that monastery.